Help

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know, but i got a brittle star and didnt want damsel to get ate. Couldnt put star in other tank because i didnt want my clowns to get ate the star came with a cleanup kit. I honestly posted this wandering if any of the above listed cc would eat my xenia
You dont need to worry about the brittle star, lots of people have brittle and serpent stars in their tanks, they are scavengers, not aggressive at all

OfficeReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have red and blue hermits some nasarrius snails a peppermint shrimp a brittle star these xenia were thriving last night params are right on track

20221021_155310.jpg
Hello @Cmas0814, I'm not sure what to say other than I can make a few observations and some recommendations. I think I see a plate coral to the bottom right that may be receding and I'm guessing that is a Duncan in the center bottom. The Xenia you are referring to along with the Duncan are rarely looking this way unless a recent water change occurred that was a mismatch, either in salinity, temperature or alkalinity.

Usually lighting and Alkalinity would not be a factor unless that was in your water change (or you are dosing too), which by having an alkalinity of 10 is unusual for your tank, unless your salt is preconditioned this way. If you've recently changed salt, that would also potentially cause this as well, as not all salt mixes to the same parameters.

I recommend a test kit which measures Calcium, Alkalinity and Magnesium at minimum to keep LPS like you have in the bottom of the tank. Also, having nitrates at a minimum is a good thing but seems hard to achieve in the image and not really needed for most of these corals. I also see a hang on back filtration method, which can work but is likely not adding much value. If you've recently added anything in there, I would recommend to remove any filtration sponges and clean those out.

When we talk about parameters, we are asking for the following.

Temperature
Salinity
pH
Calcium
Alkalinity
Magnesium
Phosphate
Nitrite and Nitrate

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I have red and blue hermits some nasarrius snails a peppermint shrimp a brittle star these xenia were thriving last night params are right on track

20221021_155310.jpg
While many may suggest high nitrate water, mine are thrivig well in low nitrate water. Location is not ideal as they do best in mid to upper third of tank under moderate light and moderate to medium water flow. They do need a trace of iron and stronium in their water often provided with good salt mix
If this is a very new tank (under 60 days, cycled, , , you may not have the necessary nutrients and environment for these guys.
Assure your salinity is not false and elevated.
What test kits are you using ?

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 45 41.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 23 21.1%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 38 34.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back