Helping Interpretating ICP Test

LeafsReefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just did my first ICP test (Fauna Marin) to see if I could figure out why all of my torches and hammers, then fish died. The test said that I have 68.5ug aluminum and that's off the charts according to their graph. Is that something to be concerned with? I get my RODI water from my LFS and result showed aluminum (1.33), lithium (1.74) and zinc (3.26). Are those number high enough to be concerned with?

Some other things that seemed concerning were pH at 7.66 (I had last measured 8.1 with a Salifert test), CO2 at 5.84mg/L and iodine at 0.013mg/L.

Any feedback would be appreciated.

OP
OP
L

LeafsReefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just did my first ICP test (Fauna Marin) to see if I could figure out why all of my torches and hammers, then fish died. The test said that I have 68.5ug aluminum and that's off the charts according to their graph. Is that something to be concerned with? I get my RODI water from my LFS and result showed aluminum (1.33), lithium (1.74) and zinc (3.26). Are those number high enough to be concerned with?

Some other things that seemed concerning were pH at 7.66 (I had last measured 8.1 with a Salifert test), CO2 at 5.84mg/L and iodine at 0.013mg/L.

Any feedback would be appreciated.
This is an 18G tank.

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That aluminum level isn’t crazy high, but I’d start looking for the source.

Personally, I’d never buy water from a LFS. RODI system should be one of the first items every reefer buys. Your LFS needs to change their filters, membrane, or both.

penguinexdeus

Poor Decision Maker
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How old is tank? Keep in mind ICP doesn't tell whole story with if you have biological issues like dinos, algae, parasites, or bateria causing issues. Stability in elements is important but if the biological ecosystem isnt stable or healthy even a perfect ICP won't help. My first year all my ICP tests came back great, but dinos, algae, and other things made a mess of it until all the biological warefare calmed down. Fish are a lot more tolerant of the elemental imbalances and if you lost them i'd start looking at something else...

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 29 15.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 13.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 109 58.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.4%
Back