helping set up LARGE reef

cbort

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Helping a guy that I know set up a Mixed Reef at his wife's assisted living facility. Need some opinions on some equipment. We do know the tank is going to be
72x24x30"T
it will be drilled for a CL and a certain type of drain in the upper corners.
Lighting will be 3 400W MH supplemented with Actinics
Filtration will utilize a Sump/refugium within the stand.
What would everyone use for a return pump and a CL pump?
We are going to set the tank up with the ability to house any types of corals/fish. So flow needs to be very high.
Skimmer will be a OctoX 200.
Tank will not be an allout SPS, but we will be adding some nice easier to maintain colorful SPS, LPS, clams, zoas, and lots of fish.
any suggestions would be great! For the CL we are thinking a hammerhead. and for the return we have been suggested to use a dart w/ baldor upgraded motor, but the dart seems to be a bit large for a return pump? I do suppose it could be restricted with a valve.

john hill

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i like the pumps you are thinking about
i would also do 2 vortechs an the tank and i think you would be happy

OP
OP
cbort

cbort

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you don't think the hammerhead and a dart will be enough? I guess my thought was it overkill?

My second thought was a pump like a Mag18 for the return and 2 darts for the CL?

planecrazy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hammerhead on a closed loop will be overkill. The dart is a great return pump. I used one on my 180 (72x24x24). I also used a wavebox with a slave stream in the tank.

-Aaron

OP
OP
cbort

cbort

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is kinda what i was thinking?! For the returns on the CL i was thinking 4 coming from the back (along with 2 from the return pump) and 2 coming from the front. So 8 different returns total.

DaveMorris

MACNA2016 Co-Chair
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 300g display tank that is 96" x 24" x 30", so just like that one, but two feet longer. My closed loop is using an older Sequence pump that according to them pushes 5500gph. I am using a 1.5" drain and four 1" returns running through an OceansMotions 4 way. It produces tons of flow in the tank. I am very happy with it. I use two GenX PCX40 return pumps. All of my equipment is out in the backyard in a Tuff Shed so noise isn't an issue with me. The GenX pumps are a little loud.

OP
OP
cbort

cbort

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
cool i guess we will stick with the dart for the return and a hammerhead for the CL pump.

OP
OP
cbort

cbort

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How many people use a chiller for a 200+ gallon tank? I use a chiller on my custom 40g cube and i am pretty sure my tank would not be very stable without it. I had a 80g custom cube and didn't need one, but did have a nice amount of surface area with a CL to disperse heat.

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.3%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 1.3%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 23 15.3%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 71 47.3%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 48 32.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.7%
Back