HELPPPP ALL CORALS DEAD

Discussion in 'Tank Emergency' started by FishyFriend88, Jun 12, 2019.

1. FishyFriend88

FishyFriend88 Member

So I had left to go camping two days ago and when I got back all my fish, corals, and even spaghetti worms died. Literally everything! The water had a weird smell to it and the water was extremely cloudy, the zoas seemed to alright but I didn't have a qt tank so I did a %60 water change and changed all the filtration, I continued to run a ton of filter floss and switched it out every few hours then did a big water change the next day. The zoas now look like they are dead! I tested the water before the first water change and it was clean so I really don't know what caused all of this.

Thank specs:
    Fluval 13.5
    Fluval mini protein skimmer
    Charcoal pad and phosphate pad
    Seachem matrix and purigen
    Filter floss
    10 watt UV sterilizer
    Two current orbit marine pros
    And a small off brand heater from big Al's

Any help would be greatly appreciated[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

2. sde1500

sde1500 Well-Known Member

What do you mean clean? Like good test results? What tests because for a full crash on a Nano I’d be shocked at low nutrients. Have any anemone, clam or urchins that could have spawned? What was tank temp? Not sure what help you’re looking for exactly, just what to do now that the tank has crashed? Water change is a good start.

3. FishyFriend88

FishyFriend88 Member

The water test showed 0 nitire almost 0 nitrates which was weird cuz I did my last water change 6 days prior pH was 8.1 temp was 80 free and total amonia was 0.0 and Alk at 6 meq/l. I posted this hoping that someone may have had a better idea of what's going on or have had this happen to them

4. Dennco2000

Dennco2000 Active Member

You dont have an auto feeder do you? Better get going on a 50% water change.

5. TexasTodd

TexasTodd Well-Known Member

Was there a power failure or did the house get hot while you were gone?

Hemmdog likes this.
  6. Rover

Rover Active Member Build Thread Contributor

What corals did you have?

What fish did you have?

What inverts did you have?

Powerheads? Flow Source? Just the return pump?

Something had to have changed or died for that to happen, but it is hard to figure out what if it happened over a few days... A power outage or your heater 'cooking' the tank would have been my guess.

Hemmdog likes this.
  7. DarthSimon

DarthSimon Apex Control Freak R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Squad Partner Member 2019 Reef Tank 365 NJRC Member Build Thread Contributor Controller Advisor

Cloudy water like that could possibly be a bacterial bloom, which could also force oxygen levels down. Do you do any sort of carbon dosing? NoPox, Vodka ect?

I see you have a power head mounted in the center of your tank. Do you have any surface agitation to help with O2 levels?

DSC reef and Mastiffsrule like this.
  8. Mastiffsrule

Mastiffsrule Valuable Member R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Build Thread Contributor Hospitality Award

Really sorry. Definitely not the way to come home.

I would think along the same lines. Keep up water changes, run carbon, point powerheads to the top to keep O2 up.

DSC reef and DarthSimon like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted