HELPPPP ALL CORALS DEAD

FishyFriend88

View Badges
Reaction score
So I had left to go camping two days ago and when I got back all my fish, corals, and even spaghetti worms died. Literally everything! The water had a weird smell to it and the water was extremely cloudy, the zoas seemed to alright but I didn't have a qt tank so I did a %60 water change and changed all the filtration, I continued to run a ton of filter floss and switched it out every few hours then did a big water change the next day. The zoas now look like they are dead! I tested the water before the first water change and it was clean so I really don't know what caused all of this.

Thank specs:
Fluval 13.5
Fluval mini protein skimmer
Charcoal pad and phosphate pad
Seachem matrix and purigen
Filter floss
10 watt UV sterilizer
Two current orbit marine pros
And a small off brand heater from big Al's

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Corals.com

sde1500

View Badges
Reaction score
What do you mean clean? Like good test results? What tests because for a full crash on a Nano I’d be shocked at low nutrients. Have any anemone, clam or urchins that could have spawned? What was tank temp? Not sure what help you’re looking for exactly, just what to do now that the tank has crashed? Water change is a good start.

OP
F

FishyFriend88

View Badges
Reaction score
What do you mean clean? Like good test results? What tests because for a full crash on a Nano I’d be shocked at low nutrients. Have any anemone, clam or urchins that could have spawned? What was tank temp? Not sure what help you’re looking for exactly, just what to do now that the tank has crashed? Water change is a good start.
The water test showed 0 nitire almost 0 nitrates which was weird cuz I did my last water change 6 days prior pH was 8.1 temp was 80 free and total amonia was 0.0 and Alk at 6 meq/l. I posted this hoping that someone may have had a better idea of what's going on or have had this happen to them

Dennco2000

View Badges
Reaction score
You dont have an auto feeder do you? Better get going on a 50% water change.

Rover

View Badges
Reaction score
What corals did you have?

What fish did you have?

What inverts did you have?

Powerheads? Flow Source? Just the return pump?

Something had to have changed or died for that to happen, but it is hard to figure out what if it happened over a few days... A power outage or your heater 'cooking' the tank would have been my guess.

DarthSimon

Apex Control Freak
View Badges
Reaction score
Cloudy water like that could possibly be a bacterial bloom, which could also force oxygen levels down. Do you do any sort of carbon dosing? NoPox, Vodka ect?

I see you have a power head mounted in the center of your tank. Do you have any surface agitation to help with O2 levels?

Mastiffsrule

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Cloudy water like that could possibly be a bacterial bloom, which could also force oxygen levels down. Do you do any sort of carbon dosing? NoPox, Vodka ect?

I see you have a power head mounted in the center of your tank. Do you have any surface agitation to help with O2 levels?
Really sorry. Definitely not the way to come home.

I would think along the same lines. Keep up water changes, run carbon, point powerheads to the top to keep O2 up.

Will you watch revhtree on the LIVE #askBRStv show?

• Yes I'll tune in live at 1:30pm est!

Votes: 112 32.8%
  • No I'll have to catch the rerun!

Votes: 189 55.4%
  • Neither, I choose to make revhtree sad...

Votes: 40 11.7%

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors
Triton Marine Aquaculture
Top Shelf Aquatics