HELPPPP!!!

FishyFriend88

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I had left to go camping two days ago and when I got back all my fish, corals, and even spaghetti worms died. Literally everything! The water had a weird smell to it and the water was extremely cloudy, the zoas seemed to alright but I didn't have a qt tank so I did a %60 water change and changed all the filtration, I continued to run a ton of filter floss and switched it out every few hours then did a big water change the next day. The zoas now look like they are dead! I tested the water before the first water change and it was clean so I really don't know what caused all of this.

Thank specs:
Fluval 13.5
Fluval mini protein skimmer
Charcoal pad and phosphate pad
Seachem matrix and purigen
Filter floss
10 watt UV sterilizer
Two current orbit marine pros
And a small off brand heater from big Al's

Any help would be greatly appreciated
4ceb628959d57be824a1993272669a4d.jpg
ef52a39ce94e9008bc13fa3fb157611b.jpg
56395da8a01f20cbf62d3b4ca0ba992d.jpg
f652157b6202d5b25322adbabd3413bc.jpg
4e86090feaba275c0525e5d4de74cc0a.jpg
ca8d33d1f74cc0bf952c28bf636f1657.jpg
2651a0d32426948c66d1437bed99fc24.jpg
28c033512cde10d98c245d4c1d3034a8.jpg
d1a7e04e92dd7da47e59ed79b24c1739.jpg

OP
OP
F

FishyFriend88

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I had to guess, you had something die in the tank, and nuke the whole thing.
Thank you for your prompt reply I really appreciate it.

what do you think I should do next? Should I just drain everything and start fresh? Is the water toxic now that the zoas are dead?

Jon Fishman

Cleveland Ohio, buy/sell local!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for your prompt reply I really appreciate it.

what do you think I should do next? Should I just drain everything and start fresh? Is the water toxic now that the zoas are dead?

If "nothing" is alive, I'd just keep the substrate and rocks, and do a 100% water-change.

Dennco2000

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If "nothing" is alive, I'd just keep the substrate and rocks, and do a 100% water-change.
Couldn't agree more, something took a crap so now turn that crap into a functional bio system. I'd give it 3 weeks then toss a $20 pair of clowns in there.
Sorry dude it happens.

Nicholas Dushynsky

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What did you have in the tank? Livestock wise I mean. How old is the tank?
The zoas just look closed up to me. Did you do anything just before you went on holiday? Did someone come in to feed the tank? we need a little more info to try and help.
Do you have an auto feeder. Does all the equipment work on the tank still? I.e. does the UV still work as its enclosed could it have popped the bulb and livened your tank?

OP
OP
F

FishyFriend88

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What did you have in the tank? Livestock wise I mean. How old is the tank?
The zoas just look closed up to me. Did you do anything just before you went on holiday? Did someone come in to feed the tank? we need a little more info to try and help.
Do you have an auto feeder. Does all the equipment work on the tank still? I.e. does the UV still work as its enclosed could it have popped the bulb and livened your tank?
I had some pulsing Xenia, a few different types of zoas, some Duncans, a favite, a couple of acans and some gsp, there was a pistol shrimp and watchman goby pair, a blue porcelain crab, a red fire shrimp, one clown and a small lawnmower blenny, they get fed daily either by me or someone else, they get fed mises shrimp and the blenny gets nori, the corals are fed reef roids 2 times a week and are supplemented with every water change

OP
OP
F

FishyFriend88

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had some pulsing Xenia, a few different types of zoas, some Duncans, a favite, a couple of acans and some gsp, there was a pistol shrimp and watchman goby pair, a blue porcelain crab, a red fire shrimp, one clown and a small lawnmower blenny, they get fed daily either by me or someone else, they get fed mises shrimp and the blenny gets nori, the corals are fed reef roids 2 times a week and are supplemented with every water change
The uv sterilizer is still up and running and the heater works perfectly

Nicholas Dushynsky

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So was someone feeding the tank while you were away? It's just weird that everything is dead and there is no sign of anything that stands out. Are the first pics what you came home to and the clearer pics are after the water changes? I'm not even sure if anything could go through the power head, get mangled up and nuke the tank ? Maybe pulsing xenia spawned off a piece and that got sucked in. Sorry it seems like a silly question as I don't know you or your home were there people in your home that could have sprayed something in the home as in a chemical of some kind? I don't know where to start really?
Do you have a shot of the tank when all healthy?

OP
OP
F

FishyFriend88

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So was someone feeding the tank while you were away? It's just weird that everything is dead and there is no sign of anything that stands out. Are the first pics what you came home to and the clearer pics are after the water changes? I'm not even sure if anything could go through the power head, get mangled up and nuke the tank ? Maybe pulsing xenia spawned off a piece and that got sucked in. Sorry it seems like a silly question as I don't know you or your home were there people in your home that could have sprayed something in the home as in a chemical of some kind? I don't know where to start really?
Do you have a shot of the tank when all healthy?
There are people to look after the tank when I am gone, the tank is about a year old, it is located in my room with the door closed and a mesh lid so nobody really goes near it except to feed them the first pics are what I came home to and the second set of pics is two days later.

Below are pics of when it was running normally the green BTA anemone in the picture was given away to a buddy so it wasn't in the tank at the time this happened and the water bottle in the first pic was just to catch a mantis shrimp and wasn't in my tank at the time either
5ea67301ffa355ef9eac0cdcbfd153b0.jpg
17f5ceb2b65948dff88c06c1ec1665d6.jpg
30eaa4bef0fd769a9c340e3ed4ee5bfa.jpg

OP
OP
F

FishyFriend88

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are people to look after the tank when I am gone, the tank is about a year old, it is located in my room with the door closed and a mesh lid so nobody really goes near it except to feed them the first pics are what I came home to and the second set of pics is two days later.

Below are pics of when it was running normally the green BTA anemone in the picture was given away to a buddy so it wasn't in the tank at the time this happened and the water bottle in the first pic was just to catch a mantis shrimp and wasn't in my tank at the time either
5ea67301ffa355ef9eac0cdcbfd153b0.jpg
17f5ceb2b65948dff88c06c1ec1665d6.jpg
30eaa4bef0fd769a9c340e3ed4ee5bfa.jpg
These are the only pics I have and they are a few months old but looked the same throughout, the water was always perfect I did 4 water changes a month and filtration was always at it's best, the water had perfect results and everything is fed accordingly even corals 2 times a week with supplemented water changes

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What kind of lighting do you have? Doesn’t look like the right kind for a reef tank.

W1ngz

Failed Padawan
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have a complete set of test parameters? Ammonia especially, Nitrate, alk , cal, salinity?
If several things died in a small tank like that ammonia would be really high. The answer is probably in the testing.

I wouldn't nuke the tank just yet, the corals may just be annoyed because of the cloudy water which obscured the light.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 54 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 35.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back