Herbie to bean conversion in SC 120

mnreefster

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Forgive me if this has been discussed but did not see it. I have not done a SW tank in about 15 years and preparing for it once again (pretty much starting over from scratch). I am close to pulling the trigger on a SC 120 and it looks to be setup for a Herbie overflow. My question is this... Would there be any issue with converting this to a bean animal and run the return(s) over the top (other than aesthetics)? Are the holes appropriate size for that setup based on that overflow setup and size of tank? Is that conversion not even worth the hassle? I would like it as quiet as possible and while Herbie is pretty safe, I really, really don't want an issue and a wife who would likely kill me if I had a terrible situation (redundancy = marriage). The plumbing is still something I am trying to wrap my head around as far as flow rate, gph, optimal turnover, etc. Any help for a noob is appreciated

sc 120.jpg

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It should work OK.

I ran returns over the back on my previous tank.

I'd do the 2 big holes as the open drain and the emergency drain. The smaller one as the durso. It's going to flow a lot less anyway.

Good luck and welcome back to the addiction.
#Welcome

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It should work OK.

I'd do the 2 big holes as the open drain and the emergency drain. The smaller one as the durso. It's going to flow a lot less anyway.

#Welcome

+1.

#WelcometoR2R!!!

OP
OP
mnreefster

mnreefster

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It should work OK.

#Welcome
Thanks Ron, and thanks for the unsolicited advice on the drain setup. Much appreciated!

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All three holes look to be the same size LOL. Perhaps I am reading the diagrams wrong.

Either way, bean IS superior to the herbie, so I would do it. Ideally the open channel drains would use larger holes than the siphon.

OP
OP
mnreefster

mnreefster

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All three holes look to be the same size LOL. Perhaps I am reading the diagrams wrong.

Either way, bean IS superior to the herbie, so I would do it. Ideally the open channel drains would use larger holes than the siphon.
Good call out on the hole size, I hadn't looked too closely; you look to be correct. I guess I'll just draw straws for the drains lol. This is reassuring to make sure I am not missing something, so thanks for the vote of confidence.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 16 30.8%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 13 25.0%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 14 26.9%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 9 17.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back