Here Fishy Fishy Fishy

ReefGeezer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone found a place that is maintaining a decent stock of fish for sale these days? The LFS's around here seem to be having some trouble and all I see online is "email me when in stock".

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone found a place that is maintaining a decent stock of fish for sale these days? The LFS's around here seem to be having some trouble and all I see online is "email me when in stock".
Depends on the fish you're looking for. Anything from Hawaii is becoming increasingly rare.

Biokabe

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It might just be that your LFS is on the downturn. A lot of times, when businesses start struggling, they stop investing in stock and shifting into guaranteed sales. That's why they do the "email me when in stock" game; if they have a lot of people asking for something, they know it'll sell and so they order it. If they don't, then they figure interest is low and they're less willing to take the risk. Of course, that depends on people actually clicking that button, which most people don't. So it's kind of a losing strategy.

My own LFS has been getting in plenty of fish, both in number and diversity, more than at any point over the last two years. Part of that is down to them finishing their remodel; part of that is due to the lessening of the COVID pandemic.

In general, though, supplies have been somewhat restricted; you can kind of gauge how fish supplies and diversity have been in the industry by monitoring the new arrivals on Live Aquaria's Diver's Den. Pre-COVID, they would usually bring in 5-7 pages worth of new fish every day. These days, they're closer to 3 pages of new fish. So for sure there has been a decrease in the amount of fish available, but not to the extent that your local stores seem to be implying.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 95 88.0%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back