Here it is! Fenbendazole use against hydroids

jlagee

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I'm incredible bummed right now - I, apparently have to treat my tank for these little pests! I have the digitate variety and they are recently causing harm in my tank.

I have a 14 gallon biocube with approximately 10 gallons volume. Has anyone had success treating a nano with the fenbenzodole? I don't especially have room for error.

Quite terrified as I just acquired an awesome variety of new and some uncommon frags. My tank is going perfectly ... except my missing zoa polyp and that two of my acans have been stung :-(

RamsReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try dipping a frag, when I did this it seemed to do nothing to the hydroids.

jlagee

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for your quick reply!!

For the most part, they are in all of my LR :-( I just looked again this am after realizing what they were last night and they are scattered in the rock. Some are very close to corals - and don't seem to be bothering them - but I had a new set of two zoa heads - one didn't open yesterday - I pulled the small rock they are on and sure enough one of those things had gotten it and was actively devouring!

And I don't know that I could dip my rock because I have corals attached.

Makes me sad. You say - adding the wormer to your tank didn't kill them???!

RamsReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried on a couple frags first and it didn't kill them. I have the Christmas tree hydra variety though.

jlagee

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ugh - I have about a dozen +/- of the digitate type. It killed and consumed a zoa polyp yesterday - I caught it in the act :-( don't know if you can see - down and to the right of the purple shroom and just to the left of the Duncan.

image.jpg

Nburg's Reef

High-Rise Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always got the digitate hydroids when I started up tanks, they always died out a few months later. after around a year, I never or rarely see any. one might come and go quickly every couple months. If you tank is new, they may and should go away quickly. I have never had any kill anything either.

jlagee

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank has been up for 7 months - so. Have your theory? I didn't think much of them until two of my acans were recently stung ... I thought it was an acro frag I had within 4-6". But then I caught one actually destroying a zoa polyp I would absolutely prefer to not treat my tank ... I use this stuff to worm my goats n horses!!!! Lol!!

KenO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To shorten the life of the Fendbendazole and not have to wait months, has anyone tried using a UV light to breakdown the med?

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I discovered something by accident.
I had to treat a Torch on it's last bit of life.
Thought a dip might save it.
So I took out a rock with the Torch attached.
The rock was covered in Hydroids.
I dipped it in REVIVE coral dip.
Standard 5 minute dip.
The next day, I notice the Hydroids Dead. REALLY DEAD.

37547286424_5f5cf6115d_c.jpg

It's wasn't my intention to kill them.

DIfferent then Fendbendazole treatment since the worm tubes of the Hydroids went bleach white. Just very (Un-healthy Hydroid look)
So sign of hydroids what so ever.
I'll keep watching this rock.
THIS IS NOT a Whole Tank treatment, but heck, if I can pull out a few rocks infested with Hydroids and give them a QUICK "Revive" dip, which is harmless (actually good) for Corals if done proper period (an concentration), then I can live with this to reduce the infestation spread.

Last edited:

Fragzilla

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To shorten the life of the Fendbendazole and not have to wait months, has anyone tried using a UV light to breakdown the med?

That's not going to help unfortunately. After dosing, the activated carbon will remove the meds from the water column. It's the stuff that's been absorbed by the live rock and sand that leaches out over time

KenO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My thoughts were that as the stuff leaches back out, that the UV would neutralize faster vs the carbon. So that the level of Fendbendazole in the system would be at a low enough level that it won't wipe out my corals or critters that are sensitive to it. My UV setup is running at 200 gallons per hour. The maximum for the light is 300 gallons/hour, so I'm good with the flow.

reynaldoramon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I tried just tried this method a week and a half ago with no effect. I used the product from Amazon. I know it's not pure and has some filler. I used over a gram of the product on my 90 gallon. I'm intrigued by dipping in Revive though.

reynaldoramon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Standard 5 minute dip.

DIfferent then Fendbendazole treatment since the worm tubes of the Hydroids went bleach white. Just very (Un-healthy Hydroid look)
THIS IS NOT a Whole Tank treatment, but heck, if I can pull out a few rocks infested with Hydroids and give them a QUICK "Revive" dip, which is harmless (actually good) for Corals if done proper period (an concentration), then I can live with this to reduce the infestation spread.
What concentration and length of time did you dip for?

reynaldoramon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Standard 5 minute dip.

And how long since you've dipped the rock?

2una

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I gathered info from this thread then forgot to share it:

i dosed 2ml of liquid Panacur BS (which is 5% fenbendazole) to my 600L/160G net tank & had 100% success wiping out every single xenia in it.
Mushrooms untouched, had a odd couple of clove polps that seemed to have also disappeared other than that no casualties.
2 x blood shrimp + snails(turbo's) all okay. I don't have a lot of softies, 99% sps.
I left carbon in place & left skimmer running

24069183498_2d574a8a18_n.jpg

http://www.msd-animal-health.co.za/products/panacur__bs/020_product_details.aspx

Chris Harbaugh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok. I have read this entire thread and can not see any yes or no answers about fenbendazole affects on Tridacna Clams. I have 4, squamosa, derasa, and maxima and I will update this after treatment and will continue for at least 3 months. I have a huge population of small white brittle stars, bristleworms and a aptasia outbreak. Problem is I can't get bergdia nudi to work too good because I have so many hydroids that sting them. I have vermitid snails also.. I will update.

reefer4816

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a shjt ton of these things! Growing all over my plugs and my racks.

I’m taking out all my racks today and pressure washing them to remove all the tubes on the racks. Then I’m gonna scrape each plug with a razor blade to remove every single snail.

I will then dip every single plug in Bayer in case there are any stragglers I missed. I figure it will go inside the broken tube.

This is getting really annoying!

81DEEF07-2121-4EBA-8D69-852CCDB3D53A.jpeg

KenO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, it will kill BCP. My SPS were fine. It will kill Xenia, GSP and other clove polyps. I think some leather corals maybe affected also. I don't have any leathers but I think I read something about them. Also be warned, it will take months to rid your tank of the meds. I treated my tank over a month ago. I have 3 tanks plumbed together with about 100 gallons total. I've had my auto water changer doing 10 gallon/day water changes. Plus I did multiple large water changes. So easily over 200 gallons. I tried adding a Xenia back to my tank. Died within 24 hours. If I had to do it again, I would only start with 1/4 of the recommended amount and see how the BCP react. From what I've read, the rock absorbs the med.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 23 41.8%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 12 21.8%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 19 34.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.8%
Back