Here it is! Fenbendazole use against hydroids

wattson

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used this for digitate hydroids last summer and posted some details. I had no snail losses, it worked like a champ.
thanks for the reply,,at what dose did you administer to the reef tank ?
how long did you let treatment run?
at end of treatment,,what did you do ,,(water change percentage/carbon) ??
sorry for all the questions

HolisticBear

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks for the reply,,at what dose did you administer to the reef tank ?
how long did you let treatment run?
at end of treatment,,what did you do ,,(water change percentage/carbon) ??
sorry for all the questions

• Recommended dose is 1.5mg per gallon. I'm naturally conservative with additives, so went with 1.25mg. I used the product in the amazon link. Since I didn't have an accurate scale. I dissolved one full packet in a little container, and used the proper ratio and poured the excess down the sink. You get 3 packets in that amazon link.
  • I removed all chemical media. Let it run 36hours, then a 30% water change and added carbon. I don't remember if I ran my skimmer or not. I probably did, but don't recall. I used high quality (ROX) carbon.
You'll see conflicting info on snails + people have used different sources of fenbendazol. I think the leading theory is that the actual meds are not harmful to snails, but some of the other ingredients in your source could kill snails. I had no problems. You might want to browse the last few pages and gauge your comfort level. I have various fleshy LPS corals, but no anemones. I had hydroids, but my tank wasn't overrun with them. People did smaller water changes, but a 30% was manageable with my largest container so I did that.

wattson

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
  • Recommended dose is 1.5mg per gallon. I'm naturally conservative with additives, so went with 1.25mg. I used the product in the amazon link. Since I didn't have an accurate scale. I dissolved one full packet in a little container, and used the proper ratio and poured the excess down the sink. You get 3 packets in that amazon link.
  • I removed all chemical media. Let it run 36hours, then a 30% water change and added carbon. I don't remember if I ran my skimmer or not. I probably did, but don't recall. I used high quality (ROX) carbon.
You'll see conflicting info on snails + people have used different sources of fenbendazol. I think the leading theory is that the actual meds are not harmful to snails, but some of the other ingredients in your source could kill snails. I had no problems. You might want to browse the last few pages and gauge your comfort level. I have various fleshy LPS corals, but no anemones. I had hydroids, but my tank wasn't overrun with them. People did smaller water changes, but a 30% was manageable with my largest container so I did that.
Thank you for your time..

malira

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20180123_182840.jpg

This is what I'm dealing with. It's been about a year and a half. Like a fool I did not take care of the first batch I saw when they popped up now I have about 15 patches like and bigger than this.

I've read the thread and see very few references to anemones. Are they effected at all?. They are are my only concern.

Vincent100

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
See my nem to the right of the tank , was in there the whole way through treatment and it didn't bat an eye lid to the meds
Totally unaffected:)

MVIMG_20180220_120637.jpg

malira

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
upload_2018-2-28_8-41-2.jpeg

Like a lot of you this is what I ordered. There are 3 packets of 250 mg, total 750 mg. I have around 135 gallons.

So I need 202.5 mg for my tank? 135 x 1.5 mg
Is there a preferred way add it to the tank, all at once, over time, directly to the hydroids?
Any other trick of the trade?

HolisticBear

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any other trick of the trade?

I didn't have an accurate scale, but I do have accurate measuring vials. So I dissolved the entire packet in tank water, and only used the portion that was needed. For example, you could dissolve the entire 250mg packet into 250ml of water, then just use 202ml of that solution. Pouring the rest down the sink.

You have two packets left if you need to do follow-up doses

jld

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
anyone take note or know if the "hydroid kill amount" of the Thomas Laboratories Fish Bendazole Fenbendazole will kill flatworms, pods, other various sandbed worms? just curious as I just read through the thread and no mention of a lesser dose effecting them really?

britshgigolo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
does anybody know if sea cucumbers will be ok with the liquid panacur 10% as going to give this ago and i take it i still have to remove the leather corals from the tank before teatment

britshgigolo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
does anybody know if sea cucumbers will be ok with the liquid panacur 10% as going to give this ago and i take it i still have to remove the leather corals from the tank before teatment

Vincent100

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If remove the cucumber with the soft corals just to be on the safe side , not sure on the size of your cucumber but I've heard the bigger ones can near enough nuke a tank when they die
I used the panacur to wipe out blue clove Greenstar and pulsating and it worked brilliantly, no side effects on anything else in my tank
What are you looking to kill ? @britshgigolo

britshgigolo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have star polyps and dasiy polyp that have taken over the whold tank and growing on the back glass aswell as soon as i remove some its grows straightt back and more

Vincent100

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd definitely remove them than just to be on the safe side and don't worry about useing the panacur it works
Go for it mate you'll be glad you did :)

britshgigolo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well i have managed to get 10ml of the liquid sent to me so should be here in next couple of days then will need to work out how much to use it the 10% liquid and my tank is a reefer 350

Christopher Presley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok. I have read this entire thread and can not see any yes or no answers about fenbendazole affects on Tridacna Clams. I have 4, squamosa, derasa, and maxima and I will update this after treatment and will continue for at least 3 months. I have a huge population of small white brittle stars, bristleworms and a aptasia outbreak. Problem is I can't get bergdia nudi to work too good because I have so many hydroids that sting them. I have vermitid snails also.. I will update.
So what’s the update? Looking to treat and have clams as well.

Vincent100

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi 2una
I added 0.5 ml
I've roughly 300L of water so by useing your dosage I worked it out for mine
And yep it's the white stuff, almost like milk
@britshgigolo
I've a red sea 350 as well , I worked out that I've about 300 liters of water give or take
I dosed 0.5 ml with no problems at at

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 22 34.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 17 26.6%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 7.8%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 7.8%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 14 21.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.6%
Back