Here it is! Fenbendazole use against hydroids

Fallling

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
with just one rock I wouldn’t be worried about the leaching. Just make sure to do a large water change or two and use carbon on the QT and when transferring back rinse very well. How big of a DT? Dilution would help too.

DT is 135 gal... I'm not sure of the dilution yet (haven't gotten far into the research). I figured it's probably ok as long as carbon & water changes in the QT before putting it back in the DT, but wanted to double check. Thanks for the feedback.

Christopher Presley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
DT is 135 gal... I'm not sure of the dilution yet (haven't gotten far into the research). I figured it's probably ok as long as carbon & water changes in the QT before putting it back in the DT, but wanted to double check. Thanks for the feedback.
Just give it a good final rinse with your tank water just before putting in the DT.

Fred949

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have hydroids and lot of vermetids in a 100g DT mixed reef. When figuring out the dosing are you guys going by water volume or tank size?

LobsterOfJustice

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finished my treatment, hydroids are severely knocked back but may be seeing some tips starting to come back out, but vermetids didn’t miss a beat.

There is some GSP left in the tank that doesn’t seem like it’s going to die (how soon would I know?) and the micro brittles and Trochus snails seem to be fine. I’m wondering if my dose wasn’t strong enough.

I removed several things to QT for the treatment, but the QT is not looking great so if anyone knows of any of this stuff can go back in the tank ASAP, I’d prefer to get as much out of the QT that doesn’t need to be there

Fighting Conch
Sand sifting star
Pincushion urchin
Finger leather
Green toadstool leather
Branching gorgonian
Xenia
GSP (piece in QT looks worse than in DT)

Vincent100

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only one I'm sure ...not to put back in is Xenia
Also took about a week for my green star to die , got to a point where it was just a purple mat and than just started to disappear

The rest of your stuff in qt I'm not sure of

jk_s124

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_0466.JPG
IMG_0470.JPG
IMG_0503.JPG
Just dosed my biocube 29 with fish bendazole. I diluted 250 mg packet into 250 ml (equivalent of 1 cup and 1 tablespoon) of tank water. I then drew up 10ml of water with a 10 ml syringe and added the water near the return spout. I did this a total of 3 times for a total of 30 ml and then dumped the rest of the solution. I should have a 30 mg dose total which equals 1.5 per 20 gallons. With live rock and knowing that biocubes tend to hold less water than listed, I felt this was a conservative but close dose for my tank.

Corals
Purple acro
Green tort
Green montipora
Toadstool leather
Branching hammer
Zoas
Palys
Yellow polyps
Trumpets
Blastos
Mushrooms

Livestock
2 clowns
Firefish
Chromis
Tailspot blenny
Royal gramma
Scarlet hermit
2 blue leg hermits
3 nassarius
1 astrea
Tons of brittle stars
Tons of bristle worms

I decided to not setup a qt. I know a may loose a snail or two and some stars and bristles.
I will update tomorrow after my 25 percent water change.

jk_s124

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finished my treatment, hydroids are severely knocked back but may be seeing some tips starting to come back out, but vermetids didn’t miss a beat.

There is some GSP left in the tank that doesn’t seem like it’s going to die (how soon would I know?) and the micro brittles and Trochus snails seem to be fine. I’m wondering if my dose wasn’t strong enough.

I removed several things to QT for the treatment, but the QT is not looking great so if anyone knows of any of this stuff can go back in the tank ASAP, I’d prefer to get as much out of the QT that doesn’t need to be there

Fighting Conch
Sand sifting star
Pincushion urchin
Finger leather
Green toadstool leather
Branching gorgonian
Xenia
GSP (piece in QT looks worse than in DT)
I believe it was mentioned that toadstools should be safe. I just dosed my tank and did not remove my toadstool so I can let you know if it is affected.

CoralNerd

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Just noticed this thread but i had gone through 5 weeks of reef flux for bryopsis.
There were 2 didgita hydroids in the tank, at least ones i saw. After the treatment the neither were present and have not returned. I didnt lose any live stock. Dosage was 3 capsules for 20 gallons, for 5 weeks.
Anecdotal as i wasnt treating for them but the algae.

Corals are
Acros
Pocilopora
Euphyllia
Palys
Seriatopora
Stylophora
Photosynthetic gregorian
Yeah, I had digitate hydroids for 4 years. Well I just dosed Reef Flux at 5x the recommended dose for bubble algae. Well I was looking around and the hydroids appear to be gone. All acros, LPS, Zoas are fine and my Mandrin appears to be still happy tracking down pods. The hydroids never bother anything but I hated seeing them lol

jk_s124

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finished my 25 - 30 percent water change. All snails seem fine. Astrea looks a bit stunned though. Toadstool leather's polyps have been retracted since i dosed. Hope it recovers. Some hydroids still have heads so I will wait a few weeks and see if I need to redose a bit stronger. Everything else is doing great.

petemichelle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finished my 25 - 30 percent water change. All snails seem fine. Astrea looks a bit stunned though. Toadstool leather's polyps have been retracted since i dosed. Hope it recovers. Some hydroids still have heads so I will wait a few weeks and see if I need to redose a bit stronger. Everything else is doing great.
how about the brittle stars??

petemichelle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i ordered the stuff on amazon. 250mg packets. I have approximately 135 gal water volume total. how should I make this up? I like the idea of making the whole packet because of the filler involve causes the weight to be off. so how much water should I mix 1 packet with, and how much of the solution should I add to my tank?

petemichelle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did that for a reason. I will in future posts will work directly with the person and include dosing amounts.
I left that out because if this is used wrong there is severe detrimental consequences
i ordered the stuff on amazon. 250mg packets. I have approximately 135 gal water volume total. how should I make this up? I like the idea of making the whole packet because of the filler involve causes the weight to be off. so how much water should I mix 1 packet with, and how much of the solution should I add to my tank?

jk_s124

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
how about the brittle stars??
Still see some brittle star arms and I have seen some bristle worms too. Hard to say if there was much die off but I can say that it it didn't wipe them all out. Noticed my astrea snail has moved to the other side of my back wall. So I think he may survive as well. I have counted at least 2 nassarius of my three. Still some hydroids heads this morning though.

jk_s124

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was under the impression that you do a 1-1 ratio of mg per ml. So 250 mg of water diluted in 250 ml of tank water. Then it would be 1 mg per 1 ml. Then you figure about 1.5 ml/mg per gallon of the system. So I think you would come out around 202 ml/mg.

Back