Here it is! Fenbendazole use against hydroids

Fred949

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm most interested to see if it eradicates your Vermetid snails. I see it's a 100 gal tank but what is your total water volume and how many ml of Thomas lab Fish Bendazole powder are you using for your treatment? Keep up posted!
Tank is a 100 gallon plus a 20 gallon sump and various pluming and reactors so water volume is about 100 gallons. I used 1.7G which is just over recommended 1.5mg/g dosage. I am waiting for the lights to come on so I can see how things are looking as I am about 18 hours in. I had the white/clear weby hydroids and also some green colonial hydroids so hopefully they will both die off. Not really sure how to tell if the white weby ones are dead or not though, anyone know? the green colonial ones should be obvious as they won't open.

On a side note looks like my green and pink Kenya trees are not liking the treatment, but hopefully they will make it. Here is a pic of my tank before treatment, as you can tell the hydroids has almost completely destroyed the candy cane colony on the bottom left of the tank :

2018-05-10 21.33.29.jpg

Fred949

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so its been about 30 hours, the colonial hydroids were a bit retracted but not dead, but they were on a rock that I could remove so I took them out and took tweezers to them and then soaked them for in an hour in a very strong solution of fenbendazole(the rest of one packet with about half gallon of tank water). Then I dumped that solution into the tank so now there is 1 whole packet in there.

For the digitate hydroids, how do I tell if they are dead or not?

Going to start skimmer, carbon, and water change shortly

Dogtown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so its been about 30 hours, the colonial hydroids were a bit retracted but not dead, but they were on a rock that I could remove so I took them out and took tweezers to them and then soaked them for in an hour in a very strong solution of fenbendazole(the rest of one packet with about half gallon of tank water). Then I dumped that solution into the tank so now there is 1 whole packet in there.

For the digitate hydroids, how do I tell if they are dead or not?

Going to start skimmer, carbon, and water change shortly

Any luck with those vermited snails?

Fred949

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any luck with those vermited snails?
once again those are kind of hard to tell if they are dead or not. I stired up some stuff to see if they would send out their slimmers and some did but not all, so maybe some died? Will keep an eye on that for next few days and report back. Just finished 20 gallon water change will do one again tomorrow, then will be out of town Saturday so will do another 10 gallons on Sunday.

Fred949

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
just performed 2nd 20% water change, majority of if not all vermited snails are still alive. The small pieces of Xenia and GSP I left in the tank are almost dead. Even though I took tweezers to and soaked the colonila hydroids in a super strong solution they seem to be showing sign of life. Luckily they are only on a small zoa rock so I have isolated it and will continue to monitor it. As far as the digitate hydroids I am not sure yet what the result is, I guess the ultimate test will be if my candy canes will continue to recede or if they will recover. Kenya trees don't look good but think they will make it. Also I seen some snails that I missed when pulling out snails prior to the treatment out and they are still alive.

jk_s124

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update with my tank. Last dosed fenbendazole 5/20. Some of my colonial hydroids have come back after two treatments. Most died but not all. I also had a toadstool leather that died. I still have one more packet left so I'm going to give it one more try with a bit stronger dose. Thinking I will treat again in a week or two.

LobsterOfJustice

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I lost a gorgonian, Xenia, GSP, and I’m pretty sure my toadstool will not make it. All were removed from the tank during treatment but placed back into system after water change and carbon (i.e. did not wait the recommended several weeks/months). I also lost a sand sifting star but I think that was more due to the water quality in quarantine.

Vermetids definitely completely unaffected.

Dogtown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I lost a gorgonian, Xenia, GSP, and I’m pretty sure my toadstool will not make it. All were removed from the tank during treatment but placed back into system after water change and carbon (i.e. did not wait the recommended several weeks/months). I also lost a sand sifting star but I think that was more due to the water quality in quarantine.

Vermetids definitely completely unaffected.

Thanks for sharing your results even if the outcome wasn't as hoped for.

Fred949

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is another update, it's been over a week and looks like most of the colonial and digitate hydroids are dead. Might do a 2nd treatment while I am at it to be safe. Lost two big kenya trees, not a high end coral but still a bummer. On flip side looks like some snails survived. The Candy canes appear to be recovering so I think it was the digitate hydroids that were killing them, so in that regards treatment was success.

Fred949

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's been about 1 month and the colonial hydroids are back and looks like the digitate hydroids are coming back too. Going to start another treatment today with one full pack.

jk_s124

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just noticed this thread but i had gone through 5 weeks of reef flux for bryopsis.
There were 2 didgita hydroids in the tank, at least ones i saw. After the treatment the neither were present and have not returned. I didnt lose any live stock. Dosage was 3 capsules for 20 gallons, for 5 weeks.
Anecdotal as i wasnt treating for them but the algae.

Corals are
Acros
Pocilopora
Euphyllia
Palys
Seriatopora
Stylophora
Photosynthetic gregorian
Was your dose 3 capsules one time for the five weeks, or multiple 3 capsule doss over a period of 5 weeks?

Gareth elliott

Read, Tinker, Fail, Learn
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was your dose 3 capsules one time for the five weeks, or multiple 3 capsule doss over a period of 5 weeks?

One dose of 3 capsules and then each water change of 5 gallons over the 5 weeks got a capsule.

LobsterOfJustice

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My hydroids are back... so I have killed my sand sifting star, GSP, Xenia, gorgonian, green toadstool and finger leathers.... and still have hydroids.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 42 48.3%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 46 52.9%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 20 23.0%
  • None.

Votes: 22 25.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 10.3%
Back