menglish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So after about 3 weeks, I can see the clove polyps coming back :(
This is sad news for me.
Questions:
1. Has anyone who used this is still completely bcp free? How long has it been since you are free?
2. In the original post, 2mg/gal was used, I used about 1mg/gal. For those of you who are still free of this pest, did you use 1 or
2mg/gal?
3. Exactly what was your source of Fenbendazol as there are several different packages listed in this thread

Many thanks for your help

LobsterOfJustice

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I re-dosed the tank this past weekend at 2.8 mg/gal and waited 3 days before turning on skimmer, UV, and performing ~15% water change. Going to repeat this again this weekend.

menglish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Round #2.
So today i re-treated the tank with fenbendazole.
I used this product
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007TV03DM/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
As stated in an earlier post, I separated the granules and use that to dose the tank. I measured out 600mg and crushed it. For my 250g system, this equates to about 2.4mg/gal. I resuspended it in a gal of tank water then added it to the system. Again, i turned the UV, carbon, GFO and skimmer off. The plan is to wait 72 hrs before i do wc and add back carbon.
will see how it goes

BenitaSolo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well... I have branching hydroids. Lots of them.
Few questions:
These hydroids are very brittle. Has anyone had luck just scrubbing them off of rocks?

My other worry is the massive amount of mini brittle stars. Tons and tons of them. I don’t have to lose them :/ AND I don’t want them the spike the tank when they all die. I’m assuming this is a necessary casualty.

Has anyone had any luck using any of the coral dips? Bayer etc...?

Please someone point me in the right direction to eliminate branching hydroids. I am looking for a solution!!

Last edited:

wattson

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well... I have branching hydroids. Lots of them.
Few questions:
These hydroids are very brittle. Has anyone had luck just scrubbing them off of rocks?

My other worry is the massive amount of mini brittle stars. Tons and tons of them. I don’t have to lose them :/ AND I don’t want them the spike the tank when they all die. I’m assuming this is a necessary casualty.

Has anyone had any luck using any of the coral dips? Bayer etc...?

Please someone point me in the right direction to eliminate branching hydroids. I am looking for a solution!!

I had the same nightmare,,sad to say they are gone for now,,I stopped using broadcast foods and stayed just using fish flakes to feed fish and put 2 matted filefish in tanks for aptasia issues and both headaches are gone for now,,i think it had more to do with matted filefish eating them..my 2 filefish were small but they were not stop hunters..

LobsterOfJustice

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have tons of micro brittles, they didn’t miss a beat even when I did heavier than recommended dose (I kind of wish they had been knocked back).

BenitaSolo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had the same nightmare,,sad to say they are gone for now,,I stopped using broadcast foods and stayed just using fish flakes to feed fish and put 2 matted filefish in tanks for aptasia issues and both headaches are gone for now,,i think it had more to do with matted filefish eating them..my 2 filefish were small but they were not stop hunters..
Wait, are you saying that the filefish ate the hydroids?

What were you doing to feed the corals? I have a heavy coral population. I certainly don’t want them to decline with the hydroids!

Coach_M

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Started spreading fast when I had to start feeding heavy to up nutrients

D22DC9CD-18C6-46E9-A40C-5567875324AE.jpeg

537D4523-33AD-439F-8E4A-96967C9BD2B4.jpeg

wattson

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wait, are you saying that the filefish ate the hydroids?

What were you doing to feed the corals? I have a heavy coral population. I certainly don’t want them to decline with the hydroids!
yes,,the two little matted filefish ate them all..I got 2 since they were very small..these are the actual ones I got from my LFS..
https://www.orafarm.com/product/aiptasia-eating-filefish/
I only feed the very few fish I have,,5 fish total in 175 gallon system.. mainly flakes and some super ground up mysis sparingly..
corals are fine but I only have a ton of zoas/palys/protospalys and one frog spawn.
I do things a little different,I dose No3 directly, and a little bit of high grade Urea since I dont have many fish..plus a little piece of raw shrimp in a holding net to decompose into the water.
like I said ,,a little outside the box..not to be recommended til you try your own experimenting..
But the filefish went in the tank and now no more hydriods.

Last edited:

BenitaSolo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick Story, few words.
-Have Branching Hydroids.
-Dosed 1.6 mg/gal of Thomas Farms Fish Bendozole. (7 days ago)
-Killed GSP as expected.
-DID NOT KILL all branching hydroids.
-Did the 4 water changes outlined in this thread 25/10/10/10
-ran 2 rounds of carbon

Problem- I think my 2 green toadstools are going to die. What do you think? I wasn't too concerned until they started to lose their structure and slump/slouch/fall over. I can still see some of the green polyps wanting to come out. The worry is that they are continuing to lose that shed around the tank. These are some of the more replaceable corals in the tank. Between the now dead GSP colonies and the potential death of 2 med/large toadstools I am afraid to poison the tank.

Anyone have any idea as to what I can do to salvage these guys? Do you think it's just a monstrous shedding event? Note that I have 3 sarcophyton corals that are all doing very poorly. 2 of them pictured. I know leather are some hardy SOB's. I know pics are generic overly blue LED photos

https://imgur.com/AJIA84K
https://imgur.com/597lSH7

597lSH7

0OTLKk6

AJIA84K

BenitaSolo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yes,,the two little matted filefish ate them all..I got 2 since they were very small..these are the actual ones I got from my LFS..
https://www.orafarm.com/product/aiptasia-eating-filefish/
I only feed the very few fish I have,,5 fish total in 175 gallon system.. mainly flakes and some super ground up mysis sparingly..
corals are fine but I only have a ton of zoas/palys/protospalys and one frog spawn.
I do things a little different,I dose No3 directly, and a little bit of high grade Urea since I dont have many fish..plus a little piece of raw shrimp in a holding net to decompose into the water.
like I said ,,a little outside the box..not to be recommended til you try your own experimenting..
But the filefish went in the tank and now no more hydriods.

I have also been dosing NO3 and will start PO4 dosing soon is i can't get them up. I am experiencing a die off of GSP and possibly Sarcophyton corals that should take care of the nitrates and phosphates for a while... battling hydroids and dinos...

Did you notice the file fish nipping and corals??

BenitaSolo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Move the leather coral if you can. Many post in the thread say they will be adversely affected by the drug.
At this point there can't be much if any left in the system.
It's definitely a mixture of reviews for leather corals. Owell. I can move them to another tank bit I'm not sure if it will be helpful at this point.

LobsterOfJustice

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At this point there can't be much if any left in the system.
It's definitely a mixture of reviews for leather corals. Owell. I can move them to another tank bit I'm not sure if it will be helpful at this point.

I had my green toadstool removed from the tank during treatment, I put it back after water changes and carbon, and it still died.

BenitaSolo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had my green toadstool removed from the tank during treatment, I put it back after water changes and carbon, and it still died.
Yeah, I figured my assumption was too broad and I went ahead and removed the toadstools after I made the post. What's odd is that turbo snails in the tank are doing fine and not all the hydroids died. I wonder if it's possible that the toadstool absorbed the zole.... Another sweeping assumption.

Reef Box

Shoulder Deep in Saltwater.......Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So after much hesitation, I have decided to go ahead with this treatment. I am dealing with Digitate Hydroids and possibly some little nuisance snails that I hope it will work on (the snails don't really do much, they just seem to be everywhere and I'm over it) I picked up the Thomas Labs Fish Bendazole ( Thomas Labs Fish Bendazole 250mg - Fenbendazole Powder (30 packets) ) I turned off the connections from my remote display refugium to my main tank and dosed that about a week ago since there was less water volume and nothing in it that I was worried about. I followed the recommended process and it seems to have worked like a charm!! Hydroids were dying within a few hours, scrap acros and candy cane corals that I threw in there a while back because I didn't want to throw them away were unaffected, macro algae seems completely normal (unfortunately so do the snails). I fragged a piece of my large leather thats in my DT and put it in QT just in case it gets wiped out (it could use a trim anyway). My water volume calls for just slightly less than one 250mg packet @ 1.5mg per gal so I'm just going to use one full pack. I'll update in a couple weeks as to the wins/losses.

As long as it works and I don't have to retreat more than once or twice, I will have 20+ 250mg packets left that expire 07/19 that I'll never be able to use so if any one would like a couple to treat their tanks PM me and I'll send them to you free just to keep them from going bad.

menglish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hope it works well for you.
Mine seem to be coming back slowly.
That really sucks :(
perhaps what i have in the tank is not killed. they get knock back and disappear after a few days in treatment, but after a month, they keep coming back. Not sure where to go from here
Suggestions?

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 18 29.5%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 51 83.6%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 16.4%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 11.5%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.9%
Back