Here it is! Fenbendazole use against hydroids

LobsterOfJustice

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Due to not getting all hydroids the first time, I did a follow up treatment a week later with a bit stronger dose (something like 25% stronger than recommended). Micro brittles and vermetids are unaffected.

Wondering if those who saw vermetid elimination used fish bendazole or panacur or something else? I used fish bendazole and my vermetids haven’t really missed a beat.

TRNANCE

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should be able to get them in those small numbers also remember don't stop your methods until you know for sure you got them all.
Happy battling!
I have Colonial Hydroids, would Kalkwasser paste or Fenbendazole work on them?

jk_s124

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have Colonial Hydroids, would Kalkwasser paste or Fenbendazole work on them?
I had no luck with kalkpaste, but I think others have had some success. I did have a bit of success covering a small patch with aquastick epoxy putty for 3 weeks. But a few grew out the sides. Might be effective with a real small infestation that you can easily reach. The fenbendazole works and some one on this thread was mentioning success with reef flux.

TRNANCE

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had no luck with kalkpaste, but I think others have had some success. I did have a bit of success covering a small patch with aquastick epoxy putty for 3 weeks. But a few grew out the sides. Might be effective with a real small infestation that you can easily reach. The fenbendazole works and some one on this thread was mentioning success with reef flux.
Thank you.

jk_s124

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Due to not getting all hydroids the first time, I did a follow up treatment a week later with a bit stronger dose (something like 25% stronger than recommended). Micro brittles and vermetids are unaffected.

Wondering if those who saw vermetid elimination used fish bendazole or panacur or something else? I used fish bendazole and my vermetids haven’t really missed a beat.
Well....most of my hydroids have returned so I'm going to re dose this weekend a little stronger. Did 25 percent stronger than recommended seem to work for you Lobster?

Leadfooted

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
They still alive? Did you find out if the other another type or stronger mix for the vermetids? I think I've going to try some bumble bee snails if I can find some.

LobsterOfJustice

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well....most of my hydroids have returned so I'm going to re dose this weekend a little stronger. Did 25 percent stronger than recommended seem to work for you Lobster?

I have two kinds, the white ones on a short branching stalk the little heads that look like feather dusters, and another type that looks like mini yellow polyps. The white stalk ones seem to be gone but the yellow ones aren’t. The white ones were the ones I was more interested in getting rid of. The vermetids are the real issue for me though.

petemichelle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
okay. i did 1 packet of the fish bendazole that I bought on amazon. i have a 135 gal total water volume with sump. left in approximately 40 hours. lots of dead hydroids. but this one patch on the bottom the tank did not have any effect. maybe these are not hydroids? here's a pic under microscope. I did a did as well just before this picture of 2 scoops in 1/2 quart. nothing...
pic?.jpg

petemichelle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all!

Well after getting a lot of questions about the use of fenbendazol I figured I would write this up. This is for informational purposes and I will not be held liable for improper use. Fenbendazol must be used exactly as I instruct or run the risk of a tank crash.

Now lets get to it!

So you may ask, what is fenbendazol. Well it is a primary granular ingredient in Safegaurd 4. Here is a reference picture

large-dogs-3-x-4-gram-pouches-.jpg

I use the 4 gram packets.

1. Now don't go out and buy it just to dump the packet in the water, that would be bad!
When you open the packet you will notice the granules. This is what I separate from the powder. That is the fenbendazol. Once separated you have to crush it into a fine powder. Please wear your safety glasses.

Ok now you have this powder, what needs to be done next?

2. ALL snails, GSP's, zenias, Gorgonias, flower pots need to be put into QT. You need to observe them for any traveling hydroids for several days. This will not harm most all other corals. I have not tested with every coral or invert out there. Wish I could!

3. Next remove your carbon, slow your skimmer way down or better yet cut the air off. You need ALL equipment, pumps, powerheads, reactors, chillers RUNNING.

4. Mix up the powder in 3 cups of tank water and pour it in a high flow area slowly. The goal is to keep is suspended in the water as long as possible .

5. Wait 24 to 30 hours, you will see them all retracted. No more than 30 hours :)
Add fresh new carbon, don't be skimpy on this as the carbon will help pull these dead guys bad stuff out of the water. Get that skimmer fired back up.

6. Do a 25% water change after the 24-30 hours.

7. Do 10% water changes for the next 3 days after the initial 25% change.

This is the process that works the best. Hope I answered a lot of question.

-Todd
twillard, any idea on the id of these guys above?

Ranz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hi - i'm planning to treat my tank infested with colonial hydroids with fish bendazole.
does anyone know if bendazole is safe for my sea cucumber & sea hare?

Gareth elliott

Read, Tinker, Fail, Learn
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since my last post on 4/24 with a single treatment with reef flux. I still have no hydroids. Treatment ran several weeks( ~5) treated at the concentration listed on the bottle. The bryopsis i was actually treating is also gone(had no effect on a few pockets of bubble algae)

Fred949

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
just started treatment on my 100 gallon mixed reef tank. I pulled out most of my xenia and gsp but left some of it to see what the effect would be. Treating for hydroids and hoping to put a dent in vermetid population as well. using the Thomas lab Fish bendazole from amazon. Will report back with results

Dogtown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
just started treatment on my 100 gallon mixed reef tank. I pulled out most of my xenia and gsp but left some of it to see what the effect would be. Treating for hydroids and hoping to put a dent in vermetid population as well. using the Thomas lab Fish bendazole from amazon. Will report back with results

I'm most interested to see if it eradicates your Vermetid snails. I see it's a 100 gal tank but what is your total water volume and how many ml of Thomas lab Fish Bendazole powder are you using for your treatment? Keep up posted!

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 25.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back