Here it is! Fenbendazole use against hydroids

LobsterOfJustice

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright, picked up some fish bendazole and I am planning to treat in the hopes of killing hydroids, vermetids, and maybe some whelks. In terms of things I have to remove:

Snails I care about
GSP
Tan gorgonian?
Toadstool leather?
Finger leather?
Sand sifting star?

jk_s124

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've read this thread as well, and I am unsure if the fish febendazole or panacur would be best. I have a biocube 29 with a ton of brittle stars and bristle worms. I also have a toadstool leather. My target is colonial hydroids. I want to treat my tank with the least amount of side effects. Mostly concerned about my toadstool. I would prefer to not have to set up a qt just for one toadstool coral for 3+ months. Any advice on the best source of fenbendazole would be appreciated. Thanks!
Also, having a good population of brittle stars and bristle worms, would I have to be concerned about an ammonia spike if they all die?

jk_s124

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've read this thread as well, and I am unsure if the fish febendazole or panacur would be best. I have a biocube 29 with a ton of brittle stars and bristle worms. I also have a toadstool leather. My target is colonial hydroids. I want to treat my tank with the least amount of side effects. Mostly concerned about my toadstool. I would prefer to not have to set up a qt just for one toadstool coral for 3+ months. Any advice on the best source of fenbendazole would be appreciated. Thanks!
Also, having a good population of brittle stars and bristle worms, would I have to be concerned about an ammonia spike if they all die?
Bump

HolisticBear

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I think the best supply is Thomas Labs version. I posted a amazon link a few pages back, it used to be available in a 3 packet version for cheap. This is the 30 packet version, try to find the 3 packet version for much cheaper.

This is the 12 packet version. Hopefully some retailer has the 3 packet version.

jk_s124

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the best supply is Thomas Labs version. I posted a amazon link a few pages back, it used to be available in a 3 packet version for cheap. This is the 30 packet version, try to find the 3 packet version for much cheaper.

This is the 12 packet version. Hopefully some retailer has the 3 packet version.
Thanks! Any idea about how a toadstool leather would handle the treatment?

Christopher Presley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes fish version via amazon at 1.5 per gallon. Hydroids, vermited snails and colonista snail. I didn’t have a huge outbreak of hydroids but enough to cause me to use this. I have various sps and lps. Acros, scoly’s, mushrooms, gorgonian, blastos, acans yadda yadda. I was surprised the gorgonian lived but the biggest and most exciting news at least to me is that both of my clams were unharmed!

HolisticBear

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! Any idea about how a toadstool leather would handle the treatment?

I don't have experience with softies. If you search this thread for "leather", you'll see a few comments from twillard that says there is no problem. Treatment is only ~30h, so you could move something to a bucket + heater for that period and it will likely be ok. That might be more stress however than leaving it be.

jk_s124

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have experience with softies. If you search this thread for "leather", you'll see a few comments from twillard that says there is no problem. Treatment is only ~30h, so you could move something to a bucket + heater for that period and it will likely be ok. That might be more stress however than leaving it be.
I was thinking along the same lines that moving the toadstool might be just as much if not more stressful. Thanks again for the response. I think I will be treating my tank within the next month or so and I'll share my experience.

Gareth elliott

Read, Tinker, Fail, Learn
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just noticed this thread but i had gone through 5 weeks of reef flux for bryopsis.
There were 2 didgita hydroids in the tank, at least ones i saw. After the treatment the neither were present and have not returned. I didnt lose any live stock. Dosage was 3 capsules for 20 gallons, for 5 weeks.
Anecdotal as i wasnt treating for them but the algae.

Corals are
Acros
Pocilopora
Euphyllia
Palys
Seriatopora
Stylophora
Photosynthetic gregorian

Last edited:

LobsterOfJustice

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes fish version via amazon at 1.5 per gallon. Hydroids, vermited snails and colonista snail. I didn’t have a huge outbreak of hydroids but enough to cause me to use this. I have various sps and lps. Acros, scoly’s, mushrooms, gorgonian, blastos, acans yadda yadda. I was surprised the gorgonian lived but the biggest and most exciting news at least to me is that both of my clams were unharmed!

Did it take out the vermetids?

Fallling

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reading through the thread, I saw that leaching does occur. I have a large pukani rock with zoa garden that I'm going to treat with Fenbendazole is a separate 10 gal QT (DT is gorg/leather/soft coral filled)... how long should I wait after treatment before returning to the DT?

Christopher Presley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you treating for hydroids? I wouldn’t treat separately honestly. Are you 100% sure they’re not anywhere else?? Also I have had no losses other than a dozen snails out of probably 100.

Fallling

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea, digitate hydroids... I've had them for a few years really, but in the past 6 months, they've gotten out of control in my zoa garden on a large, Pukani boulder. They are in other parts of the tank, but unless they become a problem, I'm not up for treating the whole DT at this point. I have 20+ gorgs, huge, encrusted colonies of cespitularia, feather dusters, and 2 dozen leathers along with other encrusting polyp colonies... it'll be a huge undertaking to prepare to treat the whole DT and would require taking apart rock work.

Treating this is a large Pukani boulder with zoas is my goal right now. Do I need to be concerned about it leaching or how long do I need to wait after treatment before putting back in DT (QT will be setup with power head for water movement)?

Christopher Presley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
with just one rock I wouldn’t be worried about the leaching. Just make sure to do a large water change or two and use carbon on the QT and when transferring back rinse very well. How big of a DT? Dilution would help too.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 7.8%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 44 17.2%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 174 68.0%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.3%
Back