Here we go! TinCanHero's First SW build - 93 gal 30" x 30" x 24" (LxWxH) Cube :)

OP
OP
TinCanHero

TinCanHero

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In other news, I must get around to doing another update this weekend! everyone is happy in the tank, a few small issues but everything is looking good so far! ill do my best to get around to it soon!!
Kind regards, TinCanHero.

OP
OP
TinCanHero

TinCanHero

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
to whet your appetites and to give a hint of my issue, here is my test results from yesterday.

Date TEMP C Salinity PH KH/ALK CAL MAG NITRATE PHOSPHATE IODINE NOTES
11/04/19 25 1.025-26 8.2 6.7-7 465 X 25-50 more like 50 0 X Monti, looked a little stressed, overflow water lever dropped salinity spiked a bit - told you not to **** with the gate valve!!!

OP
OP
TinCanHero

TinCanHero

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, Back for another update. Its another big one, i should be writing these as i go because i can hardly remember whats been going on at this point. o_O

On the whole, everything is doing good. Better than some, worse than some i guess but im happy. The two main issues the tank has right now is Nitrate's and KH.
I took a trip to my "LFS" last week, i wanted to grab a few things namely a small reactor to run my rowaphos in. While i was there i managed to resist any livestock.. for the most part that is, i picked up two blue legged hermits and some pods - probably not required atm but i had 4 bags for £1.50 i think since they where old but all still active so i though what the heck, i dumped them in after lights out. I ended up picking up the D-D h2ocean reactor with a pump, its a little on the large side and i did toy with the idea of taking it back and swapping it but after a week of thinking on it i've decided to keep it and run Bio pellets for the moment. I also picked up some new frozen mysis up, its at a much, much higher protein continent (69.5%) than any other ive used. Its great stuff but as ive learned its easy to over feed with!

I also went and bought a multi meter, i can only read 7~ volts in the middle of my display tank with all other areas showing around 3. I unplugged everything and it seemed to drop by a few 0.1's every pump i turned off. In other news one of my second hand jabeo wave makers packed in sometime this last week.. i just realized as writing this it may have been that and sure enough im not getting zapped now.. i guess it was the wave maker.

I noticed my nitrates rising and my KH dropping last week, i didn't do much about the KH, i was wondering where it would level out at, it was around 6.5. the nitrates have been on the up, there around the 25-50 mark, ive cut back feeding so much now everyone is settled in. I did a 75L WC on the 14th and im doing a 90L WC tonight and probably one more in a day or 2, hopefully this will drop my nitrates a bit as there a little high for my liking. Should help with the KH too, although im planning on adding some reef builder / buffer from Seachem (I have both) to get that KH back up. PH is stable at 8.2 so im not so worried about that. - for some ugly and full transparency i screwed up one of my WC's the other day, over filled my DT and it flooded my sump, a good 10-20L on the floor.. I wasn't so bothered about the mess, or washing of 20~ towels i rushed for, more the fact it dumped all of my skimmer's cup back into the tank. I WC'd as much as i could have out of the sump and ran the skimmer for a half hour or so with the RP off, heh that was a mistake!

While i was at the LFS i saw a pair of Picasso clowns. I watched them for a while and one didn't seem so happy.. i think it was because of a platinum clown that has jumped into their tank, anyway, i decided to leave them last week but couldn't resist going down for a look this week, sure enough i picked them up today :rolleyes: I also picked up some bio pellets, a new standard size flipper and some more seaweed to try my tang on. I'm super glad for the new flipper as my nano had totally broken down, it wasn't working atall so my glass by this week was looking quite green with my nitrate issue.

In other news I made a new "Dolly" to make my life easier doing WC's i picked up some heavy duty "swivel wheels" from a large cabinate that was being thrown, i used what little 2X4 and 12mm ply i had laying around and knocked up a nice convenient way to move two new 100L water buts around on. One is for fresh SW and one is for the waste water, i plan to just wheel it in and pump the water out of the tank to the desired level in the 1st but and then replace with from the second. It should take alot of the guess work out of how much to swap out and if i ever wanted to go down the auto route in the future its pretty much ready to go. I also picked up another cheep heater for it as the one i was using took 8 hours to heat it the other day.. ;Bored

I also picked up a London Aqua Design 30 frag magnetic frag rack. £40.. now that i have it im not sure it will fit 30, probably more like 15 of the standard size plugs, i tried it out in the tank after washing it in RODI, ive got it in the sump to keep it wet for the time being until i need it.

And last of all, how is every one doing?
Well, im happy to report everyone is looking good. The Regal tang has grown a little, looks fuller and has more colour since i got it, it loves its cave and comes out much further every day sometimes chasing food to the other end of the tank :)
The Bangaii is going okey, it's eating but always stays at the bottom down the left side of the tank, it docent swim around to much, preferring to stay in the same area most of the time.
Same can be said for the firetail. Its been feeding okey, coming out and snatching food before hiding away again. I think it started sleeping somewhere in the tank i cannot see, it seems in the last few days its made that place its primary home. I still haven't figured out where that is, Ive never seen it out in the open since the Nasarius snail scared it though.
Speaking of the Nasarius snail, it made me laugh the other day, it came out during feeding, made its way up the glass to one of the power heads, i blasted it off with the baster but he went right back up the glass to it. This time i watched and it made it up to the top of the glass, breached the water line and let go of the glass its self.
Everyone else is going fine, the new clowns are very curious. they come right up to the glass when i come near, there only a inch or so in size, exactly what i wanted. I had to use my baster to hide a hole in my top weir, better to be safe for a few weeks i guess :p

One last update before i go, i may have gone a little overboard with the whole coral auctions. I purchased 10 frags in total from one action page over a week or so.. not so bad i guess, a little more than i wanted to get for my first real load... and then Sunday happened.. what happened Sunday TinCanHero? well let me tell you.. i found another action page a few weeks ago, i think the guy went on Holiday for a few weeks so i guess when he got back he had a large auction... To cut it short over 3 hours i just kept buying frags... it went something like this.. "Ohh thats a nice monti, current bid is only £1.5, ill bid £2" So anyway, i went to bed and then to work the next day, i had my invoice just intime for when i got home. Ive ended up with something like 30 frags.. plus the 10 so 40! ...dude..! ;Muted:oops:

anyway ill post some pics, what ive taken so far. ill post some more later or tomorrow to bring you all up to date, ill also post the invoices for my coral :oops:

Also before i go, a big thank you to the guys who posted some reply's last time, i guess some of you read my gibberish after all :)

Kind regards,
TinCanHero.

IMG_20190411_201927.jpg

IMG_20190409_194654.jpg

IMG_20190409_194604.jpg

IMG_20190411_213249.jpg

IMG_20190411_213259.jpg

IMG_20190411_213715.jpg

IMG_20190412_213344.jpg

IMG_20190416_201242.jpg

Before cleaning
IMG_20190416_194059.jpg
After...
IMG_20190416_201216.jpg

IMG_20190412_213224.jpg

IMG_20190416_185058.jpg

OP
OP
TinCanHero

TinCanHero

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I checked my KH today right after i got home from work, it was reading ~8.3dkh or ~2.9631meq/l. to hit 4.3meq/l or ~12 DKH i need ~1.3369meq/l, reading my reef builder label 3g per 150L will rase alk by 0.25meq/l - dose twice a week or add to ATO with no more than 12g/150l per use. i need ~16g to bump to 4.3meq/l in total + what my tank looses naturally per day, ill work that out later. I also have reef buffer from seachem, this one raises PH to 8.3 while also adding about the same in meq/l of KH. to me they look the same, im guessing its just a different blend of bicarb and carb..? ill just use the builder for now since my ph is around 8.1-8.2 and this will bump it to 8.3 also. Ill try a 5.5g/150L dose to start off and see where that puts me in and again in a few days. Id guess you would want to use this at a much lower dose if your tank was full of coral as a 3g dose is close to 1DKH pip.. as i only have the one didgi and i have a shipment of coral coming next week id like to get the KH a little higher atleest :) -- after testing 3 hours later my Alk is at 10-10.1 dkh.

i set my bio balls up last night, i cant remember the doseage i used off the top of my head but it was as the label recommended. i tested nitrates today after my WC last night and they are right around the 10-25 mark, one more large WC and i should be good :)

Everyone is doing okey, the two clown's have settled in nice, there playing around the tank and come right up to say hello when im near. Ive seen the fire tail a few times in the reflection of the tank if im around the corner, but as soon as i approach the tank its gone again, i think its made a home under one of the large rocks in the middle of the tank. I also tried feeding some of the new seaweed tied to a rock with a rubber band, the Regal was a bit to shy and didnt come out to feed. I decided to remove it after 5-10 mins as it was stating to fall apart pretty badly, it seemed to have a nibble on some of the smaller flakes thou.

Here is a list of those frags ive bought, 40 frags in total now i look :rolleyes:;Jawdrop ...

Order 1 (10 frags):

1x Ultra Bi Tipped Gold,Turquoise and Electric UV Green Branching Hammers
1x Rare Collectors Cyphastrea 'Alien' Electric UV/Radioactive Green 1.5 cm on Disc. (Cyp02)
1x lime green porites 2cm on plug (monti 14)
1x Ultra Aussie Epic UV Lime Electric Finger Coral 1.5 Inch on Rubble
1x Neon Green Blue Burgundy Basing Stylophora 1cm + on Plug.
1x Zoa 'Radioactive Dragon Eyes' 10 or More Heads on Disc
1x 3" kenya tree on rubble
2x Zoa 'Fire and Ice' 10 or More Heads on Disc
1x Zoa 'Whamin Watermelons' 10 or More on Disc

Order 2 (30 frags):

green pavona
miami hurricane and eagle eye t9
grafted pavona
two tone psam
alpha and omega
purple ricordea yuma
bonsai
two tone green acro
lorkani
seratopora calidrum
triple holder and veitnam pack
neon trumpet
puprle rainbow pocilapora
montipora spongodes
green pavona
rusty pavona and green acro
chillipepper plate
duncan and sps set (4 in total)
galexia
tri colour
xmas chalice
vivid orange monti
gsp x 3
eagle eye cluster

Finally ill leave you with some pics, i took some photos from my LFS, it was looking pretty poor while i was there so its not much to look at :)

Happy Reefing,
TinCanHero.

IMG_20190416_223314.jpg

IMG_20190417_202604.jpg

IMG_20190417_210339.jpg

IMG_20190417_210352.jpg

IMG_20190417_210416.jpg

IMG_20190417_210426.jpg

IMG_20190417_210443.jpg

IMG_20190417_210516.jpg

IMG_20190417_211301.jpg

IMG_20190417_211312.jpg

IMG_20190417_211405.jpg

LFS

IMG_20190416_141957.jpg

IMG_20190416_144355.jpg

IMG_20190416_144400.jpg

IMG_20190416_144456.jpg

IMG_20190416_144545.jpg

OP
OP
TinCanHero

TinCanHero

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love the cube! Though I'm a little late - welcome to the party! And wow that's a LOT of frags on order ;Wideyed
Hey @sumozuki , better late than never! :) Im glad you like the cube! Haha tell me about it, if im honest im really nervous about the whole thing.. to say i went over the top is a understatement i feel!! trust me to do something like this.. ive banned my self from looking at the auctions for a few months now :p
Talk about jumping in the deep end! ^^

OP
OP
TinCanHero

TinCanHero

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, back for another short update.
Not much to report really, KH is sorta under control - or atleest its always above 10, ive been using reef builder from seachem and ive been manually dosing, Ive been planning on ordering some redsea foundations B (alk) this week but just realized last night i already have it ^^, im going to but a dosinging container today, ive seen a nice 3 chamber 1.5L each one by TMC, looks clean so ill be ordering that today.
everyone is doing well, ive found out where my fire tail lives, its built a network of caves under my rockwork, he seems happy. The bangaii is alot more active these days too.
The monti is looking alot better now my KH is back up, it looked slightly pink the other day. Its also grown, its filled in some of those white tips with flesh and polyps and its grown a good 2mm encrusting on the frag plug, its overhanging the edge now :)

I have another new addition coming tomorrow from a FS a fair way away. a Quad colored BTA. I was going to make the 100 mile trip to pick it up but luckily the guy was on Holiday down this way tomorrow so he said he would bring it for me :) Ive been toying with the idea of should i get one or not, in the end i decided to go for it.. I do however want to get it in before all my other coral turn up, try and let little guy settle in a bit first.

One of the only "problems" im having atm is the algae that came with the digi fragplug is starting to spread over the rock work, im not sure if my hermits are missing it or are just simply not interested.. either way something needs to be done soon.

Kind regards and happy reefing. TinCanHero.

The digi a few days ago as it started to colour back up.
IMG_20190419_193007.jpg

IMG_20190419_193021.jpg

IMG_20190419_193030.jpg

IMG_20190420_205830.jpg

IMG_20190421_124918.jpg

OP
OP
TinCanHero

TinCanHero

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, back for another update!
So, today is the day i get my BTA. I contacted the seller this morning and he let me know he was on his way, I met up with him just after 5:30pm after i finished work in Tesco. Like a back handed shady deal he handed me a bag of water in a carrier bag and i handed him some cash. I was quite taken back due to the fact it came in just a bag of water, there was no polly box, no heatpads just a bag.. From my understanding the nem has been in that bag for 24-25 hours and it certainly looks very, very unhappy! and 1/10th of the size i saw it at in the video i was sent. there was even some debris floating around in the water - probably not a good sign but the seller assured me the look worse when there imported to him and they always bounce back, ill take his word for it.

Anyway, after the deal was done i rushed home as soon as possible, about a 5-10m drive. I popped the bag to float as soon as i walked through the door, I gave it 15-20mins to chill out and get back to tank temp, its not moving much in the bag, i think its trying to close its self up but its not managing it very well. I started to drip acclimate it and continued that for another 20mins or so.

As goes for placement, i know where i would have liked it to go and as a bonus the clowns call that corner home already, but knowing nems it wont stay there.. and that position gives it to many places to move out of view, not something i want. So ive settled on another position closer to the front of the tank, hopefully it will like it somewhere in that area and not move around to the front or up to much.

anyway, the time came to take it from the bag and put it into the tank. it seemed it had perked up a little since warming up because it had put its foot out and stuck it self to the corner of the bag, i genitally teased it off from both the outside of the bag and inside and popped it into the tank "cupping" it in my fingers and against the rock genitally for a second or two, it stayed put so i left it bee. Its right at the bottom of the tank, i noticed a small opening in the rock that should be a nice place for it to plant its foot into so i placed it there. I took a photo as soon as it went in and then i remembered that my phone has a time lapse feature so ive rested my phone on my tank stands lip as best as i can, its not a great position and its slightly out of focus but if the footage is good ill try and find my tripod for the future. So, im writing this just after placing it into the tank, im going to shower, eat etc and ill come back in a few hours for a update. Ill post all of the pics and the video ive taken later. So pop back for that update soon :)

- i think i forgot to mention that it almost looked like a small part of the nems foot was hanging off when i had it in the bag, im not sure what it was, but if i had to wager it was a small part of the foot, maybe some skin? it almost looked like a small bit of flake food.

--To be continued..

OP
OP
TinCanHero

TinCanHero

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, back for that update i promised.
The nem has been in the tank for about 2 and a half hours, its got hold of the rock pretty well and extended a little. Im no expert so ill let you guys decide. Here are some pics and a link to a youtube video i uploaded, its the time lapse which turned out pretty well apart from the few phone calls inbetween. Anyway here we are, any feedback would be cool :)

Youtube link:

IMG_20190424_175037.jpg

The red circle is where i would have liked it to go, the orange is where it is.

IMG_20190424_174801.jpg

IMG_20190424_174836.jpg

IMG_20190424_175416.jpg

IMG_20190424_180728.jpg

IMG_20190424_180736.jpg

IMG_20190424_181540.jpg

IMG_20190424_181556.jpg

IMG_20190424_182000.jpg

IMG_20190424_182025.jpg

IMG_20190424_203354.jpg

IMG_20190424_203412.jpg

IMG_20190424_203432.jpg

OP
OP
TinCanHero

TinCanHero

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One last quick update before i sign off for the night. I observed my female Clownfish taking a poo for the first time today I noticed that the poo was stringy and pretty white, from my fresh water experience this isnt a great sign and normally indicates some sort of internal parasite? I'll do some googling - **** i just done some.. so yeah internal parasites?

here is the best pic i could get.
IMG_20190424_212909.jpg

OP
OP
TinCanHero

TinCanHero

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, @ngoodermuth i hope you don't mind me tagging you, I hear your a poop expert :p

I’m a mom, I’m used to being a poop expert [emoji23][emoji23]

If its not to much trouble could you take alook at my last post regarding my clowns, am i looking at internal parasites? Its the top clown, the white stripe is the poop its the best image i could get of it.

OP
OP
TinCanHero

TinCanHero

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, Another quick update.

The Nem has walked about during the night and day. I woke up this morning to find it on the sand bed around the front about 1/3 to 1/2 of the war around, the lights where still off but i use the room light in the morning before i go to work so i could see it pretty well. Someone was home today so i called a few times during the day to get some updates and photos sent to me. The nem seemed to change direction and go back around the way it came from all the way to the overflow where its set its self up in the corner of the tank on the sandbed for now. Its slightly more inflated today, not by much but the tentacles look slightly fuller. ill keep a eye on it over the next 5 hours before bed.

In other news my package turned up today, i received my dosing containers, some spare dosing line and a dosing pipe clamp by bubble magus, i haven't opened anything yet so ill do a full update when its all setup :)

One last thing before I go, I called the FS i purchased my clowns from today, i explained my issue with my clown and was told its probably internal flukes? I was told that they where rather busy so he couldn't check what medication was available and i should call back tomorrow when they have a little more time. Dose this sound right to anyone? Iv'e also done a little digging on my lunch break today about Metronidazole in the UK, from what i read it needs to be proscribed by a vet here. The only options i can see to get some bar that is to ebay or amazon some Seachem MetroPlex in from the US, but your talking a month almost for delivery, if it passes customs (i guess it likely will).
Maybe someone from the #reefsquad could be kind enough to give me some advice if it where not to much trouble? id really appreciate any help (you can see the poop picture in my last post, its not the best of quality.).

Kind regards and happy reefing,
TinCanHero.

about 7:30AM
IMG_20190425_081333.jpg

IMG_20190425_081338.jpg

11AM
IMG-20190425-WA0002.jpg

2:30pm
IMG-20190425-WA0072.jpg

IMG-20190425-WA0071.jpg

5:30pm
IMG_20190425_171911.jpg

IMG_20190425_172410.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
TinCanHero

TinCanHero

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, back for another update.

The clowns are doing okey, still feeding well but i did notice some more stringy white poop the day after my last update, i managed to take another photo. I called a few places asking for advice / what medication is available to treat internal parasites, no one could give me a answer with the largest FS in the country (Charter House) telling me there is nothing that can be done apart from nuking the system with copper... :/ I also called the FS where i got the clowns from back, they didn't have a answer either, the employee that i spoke too did his best to help (I think he even called a medication company for me) but was unable. I was slightly disappointed by the fact i essentially hit a dead end with them since i have spent many thousands of £ with them. Anyway i wasn't willing to take the whole "wait and see what happens" advice most people have given me so i went ahead and ordered some Seachem Focus and Seachem Metroplex from the USA. We are talking a shipping time of 2 - 5 weeks thou if it gets through customs, other than this im not sure what else i can do.

Next up, the BTA. I haven't got high hopes of the BTA pulling though I feel quite bad about it on the whole, I know via reading that its recommended you should wait a good 6-12 months before getting a BTA due to stability etc and my system is on the young side only being 12 weeks old, My FS after talking to them talked me into it saying that 80% of people they sell systems to stick one in as there first piece and there normally fine. I guess it was a risk with a healthy Nem however i defiantly didn't pick up a healthy nem. The nem i purchased looked great in the video i received from the FS seller, i should have been smarter when i saw the first red flag however, that was the fact they where on rock. I spoke to the FS over the phone most of the day and knew that they couldn't get the one i wanted off the rock but they managed to get my second choice off the overflow pipe / glass. Im going to take a guess here and say this is when its foot got damaged. That coupled with the stress of its trip to me probably sealed its fate before hitting my system.
Anyway since our last update the nem moved from the corner of the tank by the overflow to a rock and stayed on the sandbed only slightly extending one side, as its been doing since i got it. there for the next day becoming closed more, last night it got its foot under the lip of rock where it meets the sand bed and pulled its self under the rock closing up 90% of the way, it looks like its having trouble closing on its damaged side.
This morning the nem is still closed up pretty tight, ive had my phone on it recording a time lapse since lights on. I also recorded one last night, there both a little hard to see since the nem is `12-18" from the side im shooting from.
I guess at this point i can only hope the little fella is trying to find a spot to heal up in. worse case is it dies under that rock and becomes a issue to remove..

So yeah, all in all we have had some problems this week, all of them could have been avoided with a wiser head and some more patients on my part...

A better pic of my female clown poop
IMG_20190426_222805.jpg

26th morning
IMG_20190426_081054.jpg

26th 6pm
IMG_20190426_182626.jpg

26th evening
IMG_20190426_222030.jpg

27th evening
IMG_20190427_203209.jpg

IMG_20190427_211314.jpg

This morning, everyone looking happy.
IMG_20190428_121413.jpg

OP
OP
TinCanHero

TinCanHero

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess ill get right to what your all probably interested in, the BTA. So far its still alive, as if it read the screen as i was typing my last post out it decided to become active again, i noticed it almost looked like he had moved a half inch or so to the right by the time i finished the post, sure enough over the day he moved up and around to the right, i guess looking for more light. It stopped at a "fork in the road" still in the shade, one option up to the left would have brought it out onto a plateau in the sun, easy moving too. The other, a rocky cliff side in the shade, it chose the right path... it stopped a few inches around the corner from there and closed up again. Last night after a small WC i noticed my water looked dirty, just more cloudy than usual, or rather it was getting noticeable by the eye. I think this is due to no mechanical filtration on my tank to catch small particles and really speaking i guess the BM curve 5 isnt the best of skimmers and im almost at the 500L cap of it, looking back i wish i purchased a little more expensive and bigger one. Anyway i added in some floss to one of the bubble traps and went to bed, coming home from work today and its looking clear again, the BTA looked a little more extended also.
-- Lol i will say, im sure it knows im talking about it.. i just turned around to look at it and i noticed its food sticking out of the rock the other side! i guess its found a hole in the rock and ballooned its foot though, i guess its on the move again.

In other news my meds have been shipped from the USA, haven't seen anymore poop, but also haven't seen her poop either.

I also set up my dosing pump and bottles, i haven't run anything to the tank yet, still need to do the math, tomorrow i hope ill have time. Unfortunately my first pipe clamp came without thumb screws.. CH kindly sent me a replacement so i now have two, one with screws and one without :)

I've also held off on the shipping of my coral as much as i think i can without being unkind to the suppliers, I think it will be coming next week, Thursday to be exact.

One last thing, i decided to run carbon again today, been working some some nasty weed killer and just want to be on the safe side.

- I almost forgot, for some weird reason the other day we had a power cut. I was out at work at the time, I popped home just for some weird reason to find the house and street without power. The tank was at 23c when i walked in, I went into overdrive mode and got the camp stove out to heat up some water. By the time i got it all setup the power came back on, my 300W docent heat up the tank to quick so i wasn't to worried about it spiking the temp back out to quickly.

Kind regards & happy reefing!
TinCanHero.

28th
IMG_20190428_154344.jpg

28th eve
IMG_20190428_213415.jpg

30th when I popped home.

IMG_20190430_140904.jpg
after lights on, looking a bit sad. but i <3 that crab, cleaned up most of the algae that i was getting "worried" about :)
IMG_20190430_140911.jpg

Today
IMG_20190501_180849.jpg

IMG_20190501_180859.jpg

As i write this post, the foot comes out of a hole!
IMG_20190501_194820.jpg
a few mins later.
IMG_20190501_200102.jpg

IMG_20190428_153919.jpg

IMG_20190501_201043.jpg

IMG_20190501_203338.jpg

IMG_20190501_201328.jpg

I do love this clown, i get its probably more hungry than "happy to see me" but i cant get close to the tank without the little girl coming up to beg for food. - hope these meds come quick!

IMG_20190501_201301_1.jpg

What the BTA should look like, this was the larger "mother" that was on the rocks. Actually, looking you can see my BTA on the right of the clown.

IMG-20190423-WA0011.jpg

Before i sign out, i think the BTA is on the move again, the right way too! -- few hours later, maybe not.

Last edited:
OP
OP
TinCanHero

TinCanHero

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hey guys, back for a small update.
I came home today and fed flake to the tank as i usually do when i walk in, To my surprise my Nem has extended out and inflated slightly, its for sure the largest its ever been! its still however only extending and inflating on one side, the other side is still "retracted" and the tentacles are very small. Some pics are below.

One other thing to note, I think i have some red Cyno building up on the sand bed, i cranked the whites up a little earlier to take a better look since i see my tank under blues most of the time. I hadn't noticed it becoming a problem until now, only slight coloring on the sand that i thought was the leftovers from the initial algae bloom. Nitrates are still a little high, im doing 100L WC's weekly but i think im going to crank that up to 4-5 days, i still think i'm over feeding, im going to cut flake out and just feed frozen, i think really speaking only my tang eats flake, the clowns are partial to it and the rest don't eat it. I also have a strainer i think im going to start to use along with cutting out the cubes since they seem to me to be mostly fine particles the fish don't eat. Id also like to get my filter sock holder workable, my main overflow just docent alow me to use a holder since its so tight, and just having the sock wedged in there has caused 2? floods so far, partly my fault but its just not workable long term. Im really trying to avoid changing the plumbing but i think ill have to. - Ive looked into a roller too, cant get one to fit thou :/
P04 has been a little high at 0.03 also, I'm not running rowaphos atm because the bioballs instructions told me not to, i may have slightly over done it with the balls, may explain my slightly cloudy water of late too.

--its really hard to show how the nem is extended, it looks like a letter C almost with the open part being fully retracted and the curve being open, with the middle of the curve being fully open, if you understand me?

Anyway, WC tomorrow & sand bed clean, im off to bed for now :)

IMG_20190503_175836.jpg

IMG_20190503_175845.jpg

IMG_20190503_190321.jpg

IMG_20190503_190341.jpg

IMG_20190503_190403.jpg

IMG_20190503_190424.jpg

IMG_20190503_190430.jpg

IMG_20190503_212344.jpg

IMG_20190503_190601.jpg

OP
OP
TinCanHero

TinCanHero

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Not much to say really, Nem moved that night down between two rocks around the corner from where it was, i could only check on it by standing on a chair with my face against the wall, it was retracted again every time i checked. I just checked on it for the first time today just now, its now moved through those two rocks and is chilling out underneath a rock upside down, fully retracted. I must say it looks like its able to close up alot better than when i first had it.

I did a WC last night, usual 100L or just under 25%. I started out by vacuuming the sand, i think it was mostly just turning it over, came up pretty clean. Next i took a new manual toothbrush and decided to give the rocks that get blasted by my return a little scrub because i was starting to see some brown algae/detritus/? building up there, to be honest i couldn't believe how much crap came off the rock work. to my eye it really looked pretty clean but i soon realized i had a coating of detritus over pretty much all of my rock work. i very lightly scrubbed the all of my top rockwork in the tank hoovering it out as best i could, i decided to stop half way through because it was fouling the water up pretty bad by that point. i finished up my WC and added a 200 micron filter sock, i managed to wedge it inside the sump to avoid it flooding out. by morning the tank was clearer than it has been in a week or two for sure and the sock was overflowing.

At this point im not sure why im seeing a sudden buildup in detritus, maybe too many bio balls? to little flow? both?
Either way ive been increasing my flow over the last week anyway, and i cranked it some more today. I think im going to replace that broken power head and i may opt for another small one for the bottom of the tank, i may also split the return or just add a NRV and take the hole out since ive noticed the flow from that small hole prevents a good surface skim. - i could do with some more surface agitation also.

Im also 100% going to change up my overflow plumbing to allow for filter sock access. I think ill just order something like 35 felt socks and a few 200's then all i need to do is change it out everyday and wash them all once a month. Im starting to feel the pain of no mechanical filtration!

p.s if your read this, say hello, im starting to feel lonely again lol :)

Unclean rock
IMG_20190505_184837.jpg

IMG_20190505_184848.jpg

FTS top is clean, bottom not so clean.
IMG_20190505_184855.jpg

Clean rock :)
IMG_20190505_184926.jpg

IMG_20190505_184942.jpg

Nem hiding.
IMG_20190505_184957.jpg

IMG_20190505_185004.jpg

24h later and its starting to grow back :/
IMG_20190505_185109.jpg

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 19 14.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 21 15.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 75 56.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.7%
Back