Here's my ATI ICP Results

Reefer37

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Took right at 2 weeks, but finally got my ATI ICP test results back and I was very surprised.

Results Link

First of all, I'd like to say, I really wish these values were able to be switched between the metric vs imperial system because it's hard to gauge how accurate my tests have been in comparison to the ICP.
For example, Mag reads 1264 mg/l, Salifert has been right around 1290. Are these close or how would I convert that to compare?

Right off the bat, salinity needs to be calibrated severely. I was very surprised to see this so low and still have corals that have been thriving. I don't want to shock corals raising the salinity though.
Any recommendations on slowly raising it and how much to raise per day or so?

Iodine was another big thing that was low. I've never dosed or dealt with iodine before.
Any suggestions there would be very helpful. I've heard mixed thing on whether you should or shouldn't dose iodine.

Also, I noticed aluminum being present. Is this something I should be worried about?

Finally, the other issue is lack of nutrients with very low phosphate levels. I have been feeding a lot and trying to raise this over the past couple weeks and got this to 0.05 on Hanna. Will continue to monitor and maybe spread out water changes a bit more.

Any thing else you guys see and recommend, I'm all ears. This is my first ICP test so I'm still learning how to read and apply it all.
Little background on this tank, I've been doing this right around 10 months now. About 2-3 months back I had to complete rip out the sandbed and start over as I feared it was leaching metals into my tank, since then things have been doing much better. It's been slow recovery, but I finally feel like my tank is doing better than it ever has, just need to work on a few other things.

U

User1

View Badges
Took right at 2 weeks, but finally got my ATI ICP test results back and I was very surprised.

Results Link

First of all, I'd like to say, I really wish these values were able to be switched between the metric vs imperial system because it's hard to gauge how accurate my tests have been in comparison to the ICP.
For example, Mag reads 1264 mg/l, Salifert has been right around 1290. Are these close or how would I convert that to compare?

Right off the bat, salinity needs to be calibrated severely. I was very surprised to see this so low and still have corals that have been thriving. I don't want to shock corals raising the salinity though.
Any recommendations on slowly raising it and how much to raise per day or so?

Iodine was another big thing that was low. I've never dosed or dealt with iodine before.
Any suggestions there would be very helpful. I've heard mixed thing on whether you should or shouldn't dose iodine.

Also, I noticed aluminum being present. Is this something I should be worried about?

Finally, the other issue is lack of nutrients with very low phosphate levels. I have been feeding a lot and trying to raise this over the past couple weeks and got this to 0.05 on Hanna. Will continue to monitor and maybe spread out water changes a bit more.

Any thing else you guys see and recommend, I'm all ears. This is my first ICP test so I'm still learning how to read and apply it all.
Little background on this tank, I've been doing this right around 10 months now. About 2-3 months back I had to complete rip out the sandbed and start over as I feared it was leaching metals into my tank, since then things have been doing much better. It's been slow recovery, but I finally feel like my tank is doing better than it ever has, just need to work on a few other things.

I use ATI for icp testing. I think they are great to work with and consistent when I send them in. About 2 or 3 times a year. I use them as an outside source to take measurements and then compare with with I have via automation (trident) and manual (the few that I remember to do).

My initial ICP from ATI also came back with low salinity. I was surprised and but also had a few issues that I wasn't sure what it was related to. I posted here in the forum about salinity and ATI's results which then I was asked here if I calibrate or have a reference solution to check. I didn't. Ordered one and low and behold my results suddenly got closer to what ATI reported. I corrected that slowly and it has been fine since. So yes, if you have a calibration process do so for your device and also pick up a reference solution that matches your test kit.

Iodine. Check. Also came back lower than normal or at least their reference. I did some reading here and also Randy's document I believe it as then dosed ATI's recommendation. That was it more or less and the next ICP I sent off after correcting both salinity and iodine those results are in the green / corrected. This tells me at least that in my case ATI's tests are consistent and reported correctly.

Water. The RODI check keeps saying it fails or whatever the proper wording is and before the last test I sent off replaced my resigns, etc. Guess what? The results cleared with no more recommendations. Gives me a bit of a good feeling I guess.

Anyway from what I can tell ATI's results are somewhat accurate or at least consistent in my case. Elements or numbers that have come back seem to be real. I correct what is important and a few months later when I send off the next test those results are gone and it is corrected. So whatever they are doing it seems to be consistent. The interesting one for me now is that I'm dosing TM AFR (tropic marin all for reef) and my latest results came back with high bromine. One of the elements in TM AFR. Anyway seems interesting that it showed up in this test which is right after I started dosing it or have for a bit. Probably nothing but something I will watch for during my test test submit to see its increase.

I guess in my case I use ATI's icp as a reference because I'm lazy at tank maintenance. And a few things it reported seemed to be true. Once I corrected the results the next sample are corrected. So it seems to be working. I do not react to everything but the big things like salinity I did. Iodine because it didn't hurt but I also don't think it is a big player in our systems.

not sure if this helps but figured I'd reply.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 32.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 24.4%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 16 18.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 24.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back