Hermaphroditic fish and non-hermaphrodite fish

Shadowbass

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello! I want this thread to help people figure out how their fish work as far whether they are a hermaphrodites or have seperate sexes, please if i mess up on something or you have something you want to add please add it.

Clownfish: hermaphrodites start off genderless and become male, or female depending on partner of dominance of fish, sex change once female is irreversible.

Mandarin fish: have two seperate sexes from birth to my knowledge with the male having a higher dorsal fin.

Angel fish: hermaphrodite, to my knowledge most start as female and if they become dominant become male.

Clown gobies: hermaphrodite change gender depending on partner and can be male or female but is not permanent.

Shrimp goby: not emtirely sure but i believe they have seperate genders.

Watchman gobies: may need someone with more experience to answer this one as ive heard conflicting info

Neon gobies: may need someone with more experience to answer this one as ive heard conflicting info.

Damselfish: ive heard they are born whatever sex the will be but others input would help

Smaller basslets: most are hermaphrodites that can go either way

Wrasses: most most are hermaphrodites switching from female to male but ive heard bird wrasses and larger hogfish have seperate sexes as well as sexual domorphism.

Anthias: hermaphrodites switching from female to male.

Trigger fish: not sure on these.

File fish: most have seperate genders sexes to my knowledge.

Larger groupers: i believe most are hermaphrodites changing sex with age.

Moray eels: i believe the ribbon variety are hermaphrodites but have no clue on the other species.

Lionfish: i believe they have seperate sexes.

Blennies: no clue

More will be added later, including inverts.

OP
OP
S

Shadowbass

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To my knowledge most lysmata ( peppermints, skunk cleaners, blood reds) are hermaphrodites with them switching sex every time they molt while harlequins, camelbacks, and reef lobsters to my knowlege have seperate sexes

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello! I want this thread to help people figure out how their fish work as far whether they are a hermaphrodites or have seperate sexes, please if i mess up on something or you have something you want to add please add it.

Clownfish: hermaphrodites start off genderless and become male, or female depending on partner of dominance of fish, sex change once female is irreversible.

Mandarin fish: have two seperate sexes from birth to my knowledge with the male having a higher dorsal fin.

Angel fish: hermaphrodite, to my knowledge most start as female and if they become dominant become male.

Clown gobies: hermaphrodite change gender depending on partner and can be male or female but is not permanent.

Shrimp goby: not emtirely sure but i believe they have seperate genders.

Watchman gobies: may need someone with more experience to answer this one as ive heard conflicting info

Neon gobies: may need someone with more experience to answer this one as ive heard conflicting info.

Damselfish: ive heard they are born whatever sex the will be but others input would help

Smaller basslets: most are hermaphrodites that can go either way

Wrasses: most most are hermaphrodites switching from female to male but ive heard bird wrasses and larger hogfish have seperate sexes as well as sexual domorphism.

Anthias: hermaphrodites switching from female to male.

Trigger fish: not sure on these.

File fish: most have seperate genders sexes to my knowledge.

Larger groupers: i believe most are hermaphrodites changing sex with age.

Moray eels: i believe the ribbon variety are hermaphrodites but have no clue on the other species.

Lionfish: i believe they have seperate sexes.

Blennies: no clue

More will be added later, including inverts.
Clowns are born neuter, but all become male before becoming female. If a female dies, the male becomes the female, and the next dominant neuter becomes male. This is Protandrous hermaphroditism.

Shrimp gobies and watchman gobies are synonymous titles for the same group of fish. They start out females and become males. This is protogynous hermaphroditism.

Small basslets are protogynous hermaphrodites.

All wrasses are protogynous hermaphrodites.

Cardinals and firefish are born a specific gender.

OP
OP
S

Shadowbass

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clowns are born neuter, but all become male before becoming female. If a female dies, the male becomes the female, and the next dominant neuter becomes male. This is Protandrous hermaphroditism.

Shrimp gobies and watchman gobies are synonymous titles for the same group of fish. They start out females and become males. This is protogynous hermaphroditism.

Small basslets are protogynous hermaphrodites.

All wrasses are protogynous hermaphrodites.

Cardinals and firefish are born a specific gender.
Ok thanks for clarity i knew ive heard the smaller shrimp gobies like yasha have definite genders but ive heard larger ones like yellow watchmans are hermaphrodites which is why i tried to seperate them

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good thread. I'm definitely wondering about Elacatinus gobies and inverts like shrimp!

While I can't speak to all shrimp, I believe that skunk cleaners are both male and female, virtually simultaneously - which would explain why both of mine were carrying eggs shortly after introduction.

~Bruce

OP
OP
S

Shadowbass

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Adding onto this
Snails: most seem to have seperate sexes contrary to their terrestrial relatives.

Tangs: seperate sexes

Seahorse and pipefish: seperate sexes

Coral banded shrimp : seperate sexes

Puffer fish: seperate sexes

Nudibranches, sea slugs and sea hares: hermaphrodites

Crabs: seperate sexes

Anemones: seperate sexes

Clams: seperate sexes

Feather duster worms: sexes are seperate i believe

Jawfish: not a clue but assuming seperate sexes

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jawfishes are protogynous hermaphrodites.

Some tangs have seperate sexes, sch as the genera Naso and Prionurus, whereas Acanthurus and Zebrasomma are ptotogynous hermaphrodites.

laverda

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont believe hermaphrodite is the correct term. The definition of a hermaphrodite is; a person or animal having both male and female sex organs or other sexual characteristics, either abnormally or (in the case of some organisms) as the natural condition.
Very few have both sex ograns. Clown fish are capable of being either sex, but not both at once. Cleaner shrimp are reportedly hermaphrodites, habing both male and female sex organs at the same time.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont believe hermaphrodite is the correct term. The definition of a hermaphrodite is; a person or animal having both male and female sex organs or other sexual characteristics, either abnormally or (in the case of some organisms) as the natural condition.
Very few have both sex ograns. Clown fish are capable of being either sex, but not both at once. Cleaner shrimp are reportedly hermaphrodites, habing both male and female sex organs at the same time.
Incorrect.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sequential_hermaphroditism

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Protandrous hermaprodites
(start life as male and change to female when needed)

Moray eels (Murinaedae)
Clownfish (Amphiprion)
Damselfish (Pomacentridae)

Protogynous hermaphrodites
(start life as females and change to male when one is needed)

Groupers (some Serranidae)
Parrotfish (Scaridae)
Wrasses (Labridae)

Simultaneous Hermaphrodites
(having both male and female sex organs at the same time) These are usually deep water fish that rarely meet a conspecific, so having both pairs of sex organs means a meeting will result in a possible breeding mate, and not [male x male] or [female x female].

Sea basses (many Serranidae)
Longnose Lancetfish (Alepisaurus ferox)
Sand Perch (Diplectrum formosum)

laverda

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
S

Shadowbass

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jawfishes are protogynous hermaphrodites.

Some tangs have seperate sexes, sch as the genera Naso and Prionurus, whereas Acanthurus and Zebrasomma are ptotogynous hermaphrodites.
Oh i didn'tknow some tabgs are hermaphrodites! Would that mean placing 2 young ones in a tank and allowing them to grow up together would result in a breeding pair ( for the genuses youve listed)

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wikipedia is far from accurate in many instances. I would never use them for referance if I want to be credable.
But in this case Wikipedia is quite accurate. If you have an issue with it's accuracy, please feel free to enlighten us on it's incorrectness.

www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/hermaphrodite

Protandrous hermaprodites would be correct for clown fish, not hermaprodites.
The dictionary definition by Merriam Webster is a very superficial one. A better one is given here.
http://health.ccm.net/faq/3887-hermaphroditism-definition
Partly seen here:
Definition
Hermaphroditism in the plant or animal world is defined by the successive or simultaneous existence of male and female sexual characteristics in the same individual, ...

One can be a successive/sequential hermaphrodite and still be considered a hermaphrodite.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh i didn'tknow some tabgs are hermaphrodites! Would that mean placing 2 young ones in a tank and allowing them to grow up together would result in a breeding pair ( for the genuses youve listed)
As long as they are both juveniles, than Zebrasommas and Acanthurus would both pairable. However, they aren't dimorphic, so you would need to make sure they are small enough individuals.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 44 21.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 72 34.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 69 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back