Hermit aggression or social behavior??

mizimmer90

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a large blue legged hermit crab and recently added 2 very small blue legged hermit crabs to the tank.

I noticed yesterday that the larger one had singled out one of the smaller crabs and grabbed onto it, pulling it all the way to its shell. Thinking this was aggression, I pulled them apart and put them on separate sides of the tank. 30 min later, the same thing happened. After separating them and finding them together another 3 times, I decided I couldn't help much further and wished the little one the best...

This morning, I found their shells clasped again but they appear to be doing this strange dance! They've literally been doing it alllll day. Still at it right now.

I'm pretty fascinated and wondering if this is some strange crab social behavior? If it were aggression, I'd imagine the little crab would be dead by now. Anyone know if this is a thing? Wasn't sure how to search it lol

Here's a video for those who can view it! I threw some food pellets next to them incase it was a hunger thing but neither have made any attempt at them.

tzabor10

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
invertebrates are amazing. I love them

IMG_2279.jpeg

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive seen mine do this and thought the same but watched and figured out the bigger one was almost cleaning the smaller crab’s shell. Hermits are one of my favorite things to watch! Weird little critters

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just to add, it could also be pre-spawning behavior - some male hermits will start guarding a female hermit just before she molts because when she molts she can mate, but she's also vulnerable to predation. So, they'll sometimes just follow the female around until she molts, mate with them, then go back to business as usual.

OP
OP
mizimmer90

mizimmer90

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just to add, it could also be pre-spawning behavior - some male hermits will start guarding a female hermit just before she molts because when she molts she can mate, but she's also vulnerable to predation. So, they'll sometimes just follow the female around until she molts, mate with them, then go back to business as usual.

Wow, that's neat! Thanks for the info!

OP
OP
mizimmer90

mizimmer90

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

She's ready!
20240101_115812.jpg

He's doing a happy dance. I should give them privacy but I can't look away...

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 11.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 148 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.4%
Back