Hermit Crab ID please

soulman978

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone,

Was hoping someone could help ID this guy below. Got him in a batch of blue legs and he has been taking out the blue legs one by one and is going after nassarius snails as well. Haven't been able to ID him other than probably some sort of Clibanarius. Please don't mind the GHA, I'm on it, haha.

20230802_175100.jpg

Stomatopods17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
still looks like a blue leg to me.

1691066870533.png

The only thing throwing me off is the pigment of the legs but it could be numerous factors from a molt, to some kind of discoloration. saltyunderground has some photos closely resembling yours

Them killing each other and killing snails isn't abnormal, usually they compete for shells until only one dominant is left.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hi everyone,

Was hoping someone could help ID this guy below. Got him in a batch of blue legs and he has been taking out the blue legs one by one and is going after nassarius snails as well. Haven't been able to ID him other than probably some sort of Clibanarius. Please don't mind the GHA, I'm on it, haha.

20230802_175100.jpg
Looks like a blue leg, either young or less colorful female

OP
OP
S

soulman978

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
still looks like a blue leg to me.

1691066870533.png

The only thing throwing me off is the pigment of the legs but it could be numerous factors from a molt, to some kind of discoloration. saltyunderground has some photos closely resembling yours

Them killing each other and killing snails isn't abnormal, usually they compete for shells until only one dominant is left.

Yes, same here, Looks just like a blue leg to me minus the bright blue mutli color legs. Could be a variant of some sort.

OP
OP
S

soulman978

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like a blue leg, either young or less colorful female

Everything I've read so far says there is no external distinguishing features between male and female? And as for potentially being a juvenile, it's the biggest hermit in the tank, haha. but maybe.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 86 76.1%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 13 11.5%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 7.1%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.8%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back