Hermit Crab Killer

Nalgene00

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have a serial killer in my tank... This started off in October when the tank was originally set up with live rock/sand. Whatever this is has taken out all of my little blue legs and redlegs, only leaving my Polkadot hermit to survive. I moved everything into a 25 Gallon cube in February, transferring the rock, sand (rinsed), and all other inhabitants save for a handful of bristle worms I was able to pluck out. Following the transfer, I had my resident Polkadot and two Blue Eyed hermits that were moved in from a pico. One of the Blue Eyes is currently missing, and the other has a hole that has appeared in its shell.

It seems like this killer is boring a hole through the shell and then has a nice snack. Every single blue and red leg that turned up dead was found with a hole in the shell, usually a little ways back from the hole. Photos will be attached, pardon me for the reflection and quality.

I doubt it is caused by any fish, as I have a pair of perculas that host a mat of hair algae on the back wall, and a yellowtail blue damsel.

Some hitchhikers that I am aware of:
Ball Anemones
Asterina Stars
Brittle Stars
Peanut Worms
Bristle Worms (some pushing 4 inches, living in their own little burrows)

A bit off topic:
Bonus pic of the little reef following a water change this weekend. Note my monti in the top centre that decided to release the majority of its zooxanthellae about a month ago due to a stupid mistake on my part, it's on the road to recovery but it's gonna be a slow one.

20230322_160853.jpg 20230322_160808.jpg 20230322_001933.jpg

OP
OP
Nalgene00

Nalgene00

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you think there could be a smaller whelk hiding away in the tank? I have 4 Nassarius in the tank, however they all roam the sandbed and are accounted for at or following feedings, they all also appear to be of the same species and were purchased from the same LFS. On the teardown and transfer in February I did inspect each rock and scrub away a fair bit of hair algae. I didn't notice anything resembling a whelk or nassarius aside from those previously mentioned.

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It might not be a true whelk (whelk is often used in the hobby as a catch-all term for predatory snails), but this is definitely the work of predatory snail of some kind. I've only heard of a few (typically at least somewhat larger) snail species going after hermits though, such as Agaronia propatula (an olive snail) and Triplofusus gigantea (the horse conch).

Bucs20fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Absolutely some form of predatory snail, the boring hole is what gives it away. Youve got a killer on the lam. Time to track this fool down.

So you know what it wants to eat, time to buy some burner ceriths or astreas, and put them in a bottle trap at night and wait to catch him in the act.

OP
OP
Nalgene00

Nalgene00

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the plan now is to form a little trap out of some acrylic I have lying around and throw a blue leg in it, and see what happens over the next few days.
I did notice a small burrow of sorts in the back corner of the tank near where I dropped in all the crab shells that I pulled out during the transfer. I used a little flashlight to peek in, and I saw what looked like an exoskeleton with a red(orangish)/white blotched pattern in bands. It seemed a bit on the smaller side, but I was only able to see a portion of it. I doubt I'll be able to get a photo in there but I'll give it a shot tonight.

OP
OP
Nalgene00

Nalgene00

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nothing has turned up yet, and no hermits or snails have gone missing.. Is there a possibility that my Nassarius were just being opportunistic and taking out the hermits when they had the chance?

OP
OP
Nalgene00

Nalgene00

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Almost two months after the previous update.. Nothing else has gone missing. Seems like whatever it was has either died off, or was a known resident that took advantage of the little hermit buffet that was available.

Gomez Adams

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Almost two months after the previous update.. Nothing else has gone missing. Seems like whatever it was has either died off, or was a known resident that took advantage of the little hermit buffet that was available.
OR

The moving tipped him off that you were on to him. He's now laying low, waiting for you to forget.

Rick's Reviews

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Shed for your poll, I've not seen mine for weeks now so mine is possible dead.
Will buy more though, they great cuc :)
And look amazing
I think my green legged species ate him, along with my other red legged species, my electric blue seem to be disappearing also.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 92 80.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.4%
Back