Hermit Crab Outgrew Tank

Zakary2003

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone. I have a hermit crab named Eugene that has outgrown my tank. I must have accidentally collected Eugene as a very, very tiny hermit crab and I could not identify his species when he popped up in my tank because he was too small. Now, after going through roughly 10 different sized shells, Eugene is exponentially larger than when I got him and it is now evident that he is a giant hermit crab, petrochirus diogenes. He can no longer easily navigate my 20 gallin cube.

Eugene was most likely collected from my area (St. Petersburg, Florida). What can I do with him? Would he survive being released nearby in a mangrove forest or straight into Boca Ciega bay? He is currently in a pretty bright green (natural) shell, so he might stand out. I would really love to give him to someone with a larger tank so I know he has a good shot at surviving. Is anyone in the area willing to take him? He is good at keeping the sand bed extremely clean and I haven't had any issues with him eating his tankmates.

What are my options here?

16953382594236554628773773357207.jpg

argiBK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
He’s pretty adorable, actually! Hope you can find a new home for him.

Only recommendation if you release into the wild is to ensure he’s put back in his species’ natural range.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 67 35.4%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 48 25.4%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 60 31.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.2%
Back