Hermit Crab Replacement Shell Preparation

teresamcafee

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Oct 22, 2014
Messages
17
Reaction score
0
Location
oklahoma
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can someone tell me what I need to do (if anything) to shells before placing them in my reef tank? I have a couple of hermits and I would like to encourage them to use the shells I provide as opposed to killing my snails. I have some empty shells from snails that died and I have tons of shells I have bought for decorations or have collected on the various beaches.
 
Clean and toss them in. When I bought my hermits I bought a couple bags of extra shells and just tossed them in. The crabs checked them out and started the swapping scheme for the next month or so. It was funny to watch they would try shells way to large or too small of a shell and swap back and forth sometimes multiple times. It is neat to watch. Fortunately, I have no snail casualties either.
 
I just rinse in freshwater before throwing them in. Do not add any painted shells to your tank.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DOES YOUR REEFING AREA LOOK LIKE BETWEEN MAINTENANCE SESSIONS?

  • Clean and tidy—everything gets put away

    Votes: 11 39.3%
  • Mostly cleaned up, but a few tools stay out

    Votes: 8 28.6%
  • Organized chaos—I know where everything is

    Votes: 4 14.3%
  • Enter at your own risk! Buckets, hoses, and towels are basically permanent fixtures

    Votes: 3 10.7%
  • It depends on where I am in the maintenance cycle...

    Votes: 1 3.6%
  • The tsunami hit. Hard.

    Votes: 1 3.6%
  • A different take... (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new