Hermit Crabs - A Poll

Should hermits be in a reef tank?

• Strongly Agree (hermits are great and a necessary part of a clean up crew)

Votes: 135 17.9%
  • Agree (I love my hermits and appreciate their efforts)

Votes: 312 41.3%
  • Unsure (I use hermits but don't really mind them or like them)

Votes: 186 24.6%
  • Disagree (I don't use hermits or am considering removing them)

Votes: 58 7.7%
  • Strongly Disagree (I don't use hermits and would never add one to my current setups)

Votes: 64 8.5%

• Total voters

ArowanaLover1902

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been reefing for several years now and I think I have enough experience to begin questioning a few things in the hobby. Obviously from the title, I'm skeptical of hermit crabs being truly beneficial in a reef tank.

When I first started in the hobby my absolute favorite thing was my hermit crabs, I remember them bustling around in my empty tank (it was nearing the end of its cycle and I added some hermits to help clean up the cycle algae). I really enjoyed watching them eat the fish food and run around. I noticed that the algae on the sandbed and rocks was going away and I was really pleased that I had a good clean up crew (at the time it consisted of snails, hermits, and an emerald crab). I was a little worried that I kept finding seeing my hermits wearing my snail shells, but I assumed that the fragile snail had died and the hermit had helpfully scavenged the dead body and was using the shell. In the years to follow, I saw them eat anything that died in the tank and I noted they weren't at all picky. For this reason they are great to have around, they are awesome scavengers and they are pretty cool to see in the tank, they add a lot of life.

Later, when I ran into problems with algae, I added a few more hermits to the tank (my course of algae removal is: manual removal, replenish CUC, turn off lights), the remaining snails I had died (I knew by know that hermits ate snails but I figured that hermits were likely better, after all thats what I had been told) but I didn't see them eating any of the algae and by the time I turned the lights back on they had instead taken the chance to eat some of the LPS weakened from light depletion. I then went to my LFS and picked up a turbo snail, a few ceriths, an emerald crab and some margaritas and threw them in the tank and algae was finally eliminated. I saw that the hermits really hadn't done anything to help and had actually hurt the tank by eating the LPS.

Now my tank has only about 5 hermits in a 35 gallon reef, along with 5 nassarius, 1 turbo, 2 margaritas, and 2 ceriths. My hermits are always stomping on my poor zoanthids, causing them to close up to avoid the grabbing claws of the hermits, eating the food I try to give to my gobies and pistol shrimp, and forever tormenting my helpful snails as well. I no longer have an emerald crab in the tank, they always get too big and are in my sump now so when a bit of turf algae popped up in the tank two days ago I figured I'd let the hermits try to get it. It's still there now and I'm really considering giving them all to my LFS, I'm tired of them. Will there be any real repercussions from getting rid of them, after all, in my experience all they do is scavenge dead things and my nassarius are far better at that?

I'd love to see what the general consensus of their merit is so here is a poll, I'd love to hear about your experiences as well as if you've found that only certain species are acceptable (I've found that all hermits are bad, but maybe there are some I missed or you disagree with).

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
They are great scavengers especially for buried uneaten food but also disturbed fish at night, cling onto and knock over coral as well as climbing coral or objects arriving into sump areas

starypotter

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I voted strongly agree not because I believe they are strictly necessary, while they do play a great role in clean up. I just really love to watch their antics as they wander around and do their thing. I wouldn't have a tank without them even if it means picking up a frag once in a while, but my snails knock them over sometimes too so not really much concern I don't think.

PDR

<°)))>{
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like hermits, they aren't my favorite cuc members but they do have their place. I have had the best luck with scarlet hermits not eating snails or bothering coral. Second best would be blue legs imo.

joshbridges

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
they are great,, only clean up crew I can keep with my df puffer ,, he eats every snail and clam and urchin and starfish I put in the tank!!!! even my anemones !!!!( currently ate tan carpet anemone and condy anemone ) ,

joshbridges

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not all hermits are created equal. I've gotten rid of all my larger ones and have just kept a few of the smaller scarlet leg hermits. The others were constantly perching in SPS and irritating them.

very true ,, I only 75 small blue legged hermits ,, my red scarlets were eaten
, for some reason the puffer doesn't like the blue ones ,, maybe they have a thicker shell density and he just didn't like them lol

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have any due to my semi-agressive fish that pick them off the second they hit the water. My only issue with them is the fact that they kill snails for their shells......other than that, they are a good member of the CUC.

KMench

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have some bigger hermits and have seen them dig up my nass snails and eat them. I voted disagree since I’m considering removing them and going with a snail only CUC

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I removed my hermits. They wiped out most of my filter feeders, killed a bunch of snails, and we're climbing my sps and acro corals. I found them to be more disruptive than none.

Rockit

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I go back and forth..... I've stripped my display of hermits several times and thrown them in the sump.
Currently have a 1/2 dozen or so in display. I also started using trochus snails hoping they'll fare better against the predation.
I don't know is this is common behavior but I figured I would give it a shot after seeing this....

OP
OP
ArowanaLover1902

ArowanaLover1902

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I removed my hermits. They wiped out most of my filter feeders, killed a bunch of snails, and we're climbing my sps and acro corals. I found them to be more disruptive than none.

When did you make the change? Did it cause any problems?

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When did you make the change? Did it cause any problems?
I got rid of my hermits 3 weeks ago. Did it cause any problems before or after? The hermits caused problems. My remaining snails still graze the tank.

Z3speed4me

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also have a love/hate relationship... probably hundreds of dollars of snails have been fed to my hermits, but they also do their job in cleaning up the tank. Sometimes I want to just purge them and buy tons of snails and hope they get into everything and then they won't be murdered every week.

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also started using trochus snails hoping they'll fare better against the predation.
I don't know is this is common behavior but I figured I would give it a shot after seeing this....

In my limited experience it is common for trochus to do this. They are very acrobatic. As long as they can reach a solid surface with their very long foot they can right themselves when overturned.

OP
OP
ArowanaLover1902

ArowanaLover1902

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If any are having problems with hermits killing all snails but still want snails try turbos and tiger conches, they are usually too big and strong to be eaten by the hermit. I've never even see a hermit try.

mort

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had hermits to begin with as like everybody else they were great fun but now I know what I'm doing I wouldn't add any more. According to Dr shimek they aren't particular common on reefs, in shore yes but not out on the reef. So putting several in a small space is asking for trouble.
I do have scarlet legs that are 8 years old or so and I don't think they do any harm but equally not sure what they actually contribute. Snails do a better job and live happier in the knowledge they aren't going to get ripped out at any point in time.

I do think people overestimate how much clean up crew they need, in my 2ft sps cube I have one lonely monies cowrie and yet the tank has hardly any algae (the hermits live elsewhere). I only add something when I see a need for it rather that let something starve.

Adele

I don't sing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I go back and forth..... I've stripped my display of hermits several times and thrown them in the sump.
Currently have a 1/2 dozen or so in display. I also started using trochus snails hoping they'll fare better against the predation.

BOOM! lol....love your video. I've seen my Trochus bust this move before, but not due to a marauding hermit getting to close for comfort.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 57 39.6%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 33 22.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 34.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.5%
Back