Hermit Crabs - A Poll

Should hermits be in a reef tank?

• Strongly Agree (hermits are great and a necessary part of a clean up crew)

Votes: 135 17.9%
  • Agree (I love my hermits and appreciate their efforts)

Votes: 312 41.3%
  • Unsure (I use hermits but don't really mind them or like them)

Votes: 186 24.6%
  • Disagree (I don't use hermits or am considering removing them)

Votes: 58 7.7%
  • Strongly Disagree (I don't use hermits and would never add one to my current setups)

Votes: 64 8.5%

• Total voters

squampton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always keep a handful of small blue leg hermits in my tank, I have no problem with them, they spend most of their time on the sand anyhow and never noticed any damage to corals, nor do they seem to bother my snails or fish, if they do kill my snails they are doing so very slowly as I have not noticed any decline in snail population.

biophilia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
An army of (small, blue-legged) hermits is probably the singular reason my nano is algae free and filled with healthy, well-fed coral rather than a mono-species hair algae fuzz fest. They’re also great at immediately scrubbing all nuisance algae from the plugs of new frags and rapidly consuming fish that die in the rock work.

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I confess to having a few hermits. I have one not too big hermit black legs with white bands in the 75. This one get's to stay cause Iv'e had him for so long .
Now, I have 3 in the refugium under the 180. These I collected from local waters . they are voracious eaters ,will eat anything they can get & can grow quit large. These guys will never go in a display. My issues are algae so I rely on algae eating snails for this. As for any other type of crab? No Thanks !

JonoB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I only have 2 hermits in my 30 gallon tank, one red legged and one blue (Rock em' and Sock em'). I love watching them, and they haven't done anything destructive yet. They seem to do their jobs and are fun to watch.

CivicS14

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just did a tank reboot after a move and lost everything. Never again with hermits. Always annoyed me they were always killing each other and snails over shells (and yes, I had plenty of empty shells lying around). This new tank is all sorts of snails and they do the same job.

Vahanyos

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think i'm slowly working to remove my hermit crabs as well - I do have a few of the scarlet hermits that are blue/black, all RED, and a big punk that is orange. I think they call him a halloween crab... They will probably all go in my sump because I do notice them rock climbing on my acro's.... I dont know if they are stressing them out or not, but I dont want to risk it. The mentality I have is no they are not stressing them out because it's nature... in the wild i'm sure acro's get crawled on all the time, but as long as they are not eating them then it's good. However, I THINK i saw my big orange one picking at my acro... unless there was a pest on it that it was picking at... I dont know..

They are good at eating anything that died in the tank tho - that's the best part. They will leave nothing lol.

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Their should be a selection for never used them.

tiggs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always have hermits in my tanks, but only keep a very small amount for the tank size. For example, I have a 14G cube that has 3 dwarf hermits. My two personal rules to divert them from killing snails are to have a bunch of extra shells in there of all sizes and to make sure they have a constant food source. In my situation right now, I have a reproducing colony of dwarf limpets, so they help keep the population in control and leave the snails alone.

ZoWhat

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hermits need to get out the house more often and enjoy their life.

images

PhreeByrd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have kept tanks with hermits and without, and really have not seen any differences in the tanks with or without them. It seems pretty clear that if they survive/thrive in your tank that they are indeed finding food, which means they are cleaning 'stuff' up that nothing else wants or can access. Whether that is truly important I can't say. Logically, if they are finding uneaten food and consuming it, then they are doing something to reduce nutrients in the water. Whether that's a measurable effect remains to be proven.

However, comparing hermits vs snails as members of the cleanup crew is both meaningless and irrelevant. They serve completely different purposes, and one simply cannot replace the other. Even detritus-focused snails cannot access many of the areas a hermit crab can. Likewise, a hermit crab will do little for the sand bed, and nothing for the glass.

I have occasionally seen hermits munching on algae, but they are just not large enough to impact a serious algae problem unless you have huge numbers of them.
Other than climbing onto them, I never saw crabs bother any corals or polyps at all.
I don't have any crabs in my tanks now, and am not rushing out to buy any anytime soon.

srad750c

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have blue legged, my only problem is that they knock stuff over, but that’s no much of a problem. I have more issues with red dice shrimp getting food from my inverts after I feed them. They are coming out of tank very soon.

lmarlowe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have some bigger hermits and have seen them dig up my nass snails and eat them. I voted disagree since I’m considering removing them and going with a snail only CUC
Got 1/2 my giant tongas. So I have mixed feelings on them.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 21.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 73 34.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 70 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back