Hermit crabs driving me nuts

Crabs McJones

Regional Reef Manager (AKA Revhtree's Boss)
View Badges
Joined
Jul 24, 2017
Messages
33,607
Reaction score
153,960
Location
Wisconsin
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Anyone have a good way to keep hermits off of zoanthids?
They keep climbing all over them causing them to close up. Thought about using a small sample cup with the bottom cut out of it until they open up and start growing out. But they're driving me nuts, and I don't want to remove them as they're doing an awesome job of keeping the tank clean. But they love climbing on my zoas
Any thoughts?
 
Anyone have a good way to keep hermits off of zoanthids?
They keep climbing all over them causing them to close up. Thought about using a small sample cup with the bottom cut out of it until they open up and start growing out. But they're driving me nuts, and I don't want to remove them as they're doing an awesome job of keeping the tank clean. But they love climbing on my zoas
Any thoughts?
Its ok for them to do that. It will help keeping your zoanthids cleaner. So they will grow faster. Once they can't find food they eventually die.
 
Unless a crab is useful for algae such as an emerald crab for bubble algae or a pest I won’t keep them, they are forever climb over corals but worse they eat the snails, they are just too much hassle for me, and apart from looking good, I an not convinced they make good CUC.
 
Unless a crab is useful for algae such as an emerald crab for bubble algae or a pest I won’t keep them, they are forever climb over corals but worse they eat the snails, they are just too much hassle for me, and apart from looking good, I an not convinced they make good CUC.
I agree that they eat the snails. I finally got rid of my mine and algae didn't change.
 
Anyone have a good way to keep hermits off of zoanthids?
They keep climbing all over them causing them to close up. Thought about using a small sample cup with the bottom cut out of it until they open up and start growing out. But they're driving me nuts, and I don't want to remove them as they're doing an awesome job of keeping the tank clean. But they love climbing on my zoas
Any thoughts?
My problem too…never getting them ! To answer your question, I have no real solution!
 
May need to remove them. Maybe make a second tank to house them if my algae changes
 
May need to remove them. Maybe make a second tank to house them if my algae changes
When we moved everything from the 32, we split them into the 70 and hundred…they still found the zoas! 🤦🏻‍♀️ They have no boundaries and crawl over everything but they particularly like the zoa area. Don’t know what it is, algae eating? It’s annoying because they clearly make them close up…a lot! 😡
 
I love them, here's a photo after I introduced them. 4 of them started in the middle of this rock and worked out words polished this rock of that green algae you can see on the edges. Took them 1 day.

I love snails but they rarely bother with my rockwork unfortunately.

d9611ad0-bbac-4956-937b-a7206ea48051.jpg
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 4 3.5%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 7 6.1%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 22 19.3%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 37 32.5%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 0.9%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 9 7.9%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 9 7.9%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 16 14.0%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 9 7.9%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new