Hermit ID

  • Thread starter Thread starter modom1207
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

modom1207

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Aug 25, 2024
Messages
103
Reaction score
44
Location
Coastal
What state or country do you live in
Mississippi
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The guy at the LFS told me it was a blue leg hermit, but I couldn’t see him in his shell very well until after I got him home, put him in the tank, and he swapped to a much larger shell. I’m almost positive it’s not a blue leg hermit crab, and I’m thinking it may be a red tip hermit? Or maybe an Halloween? Any ideas? His legs are mainly reddish-brown with red on the tips, and his antennas are orange-red.

Also if it is a red tip hermit, will it kill my sexy shrimp? I don’t care about my snails.

2318F508-ED57-4090-8EF6-E64233676C0D.jpeg AD327EA3-D45F-4894-9C80-5EB964115453.jpeg B28A510C-211B-4E43-AAED-32C0BF94F1BE.jpeg
 
The guy at the LFS told me it was a blue leg hermit, but I couldn’t see him in his shell very well until after I got him home, put him in the tank, and he swapped to a much larger shell. I’m almost positive it’s not a blue leg hermit crab, and I’m thinking it may be a red tip hermit? Or maybe an Halloween? Any ideas? His legs are mainly reddish-brown with red on the tips, and his antennas are orange-red.

Also if it is a red tip hermit, will it kill my sexy shrimp? I don’t care about my snails.
Def not a blue leg and I doubt a Halloween. There is so many not named hermits its hard to know.

Im not sure on the sexy shrimp if he could even catch it.
 
Def not a blue leg and I doubt a Halloween. There is so many not named hermits its hard to know.

Im not sure on the sexy shrimp if he could even catch it.
Yeah I don’t think it is a Halloween now that I’ve had a closer look. I’m suspecting red tip hermit, but I’m honestly not sure. He moves pretty quickly, but I know the sexy shrimp are faster. I just don’t want him to catch them off guard. They don’t spook as easily as what they used to when they first entered the tank.
 
Yeah I don’t think it is a Halloween now that I’ve had a closer look. I’m suspecting red tip hermit, but I’m honestly not sure. He moves pretty quickly, but I know the sexy shrimp are faster. I just don’t want him to catch them off guard. They don’t spook as easily as what they used to when they first entered the tank.
looks like just a common hermit imo. I got one with the same color in my tank. they are similar to the scarlet hermits. they dont stay small like the blue legs so they will need some extra shells to change into but other than that they are good cleaners
 
Yeah I don’t think it is a Halloween now that I’ve had a closer look. I’m suspecting red tip hermit, but I’m honestly not sure. He moves pretty quickly, but I know the sexy shrimp are faster. I just don’t want him to catch them off guard. They don’t spook as easily as what they used to when they first entered the tank.
Any chance you could get pics of this hermit crab that show the claws, legs, eyestalks, and antennae clearly? If not, my best guess from the pics provided would be a Clibanarius species, possibly C. antillensis or similar.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 9 5.5%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 11 6.7%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 27 16.4%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 57 34.5%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 2 1.2%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 11 6.7%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 11 6.7%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 25 15.2%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 12 7.3%

New Posts

Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new