!!!Herpes outbreak!!!

fishdoc11

It's a hobby
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FWIW I am a veterinarian and I can tell you most animals carry at least one type of herpes virus, many, like humans, carry several. The good thing is that they typically can't be transmitted to other species. That means you can't catch herpes from a cat for example. Not for certain whether you can catch it from an acro but that wouldn't be the main reason I would wash my hands after touching one;)

Reef Pets

Bioprospector
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

jhnnle01

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so if cipro (antibiotic) is used for anemonae, has anyone tried acyclovir (antiviral) for sps bleaching? Acyclovir is cheap and easy to get

Shep

Acan Connoisseur
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Side note ~66% of the world's population as HSV

nervousmonkey

LPS Lover, SPS Enabler
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Better yet..... try selling that one to your wife!
I would be dead more quickly than an RTN'ed Acro that you find bleached in the morning Pete. Uh uh. Ain't saying that. "That was NOT my Acro honey. I don't know how that nasty little coral got in there, I swear"

nervousmonkey

LPS Lover, SPS Enabler
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All joking aside about getting an STD from our corals (I really really really love my corals though...), this is pretty cool news. Thanks @Diesel for pointing out those articles. There is a lot of information we can glean through coral histology, proteomics, metabolomics, genomic analysis. There is so much that we don't know about corals. One would think that over the hundreds of thousands of years of evolutionary history in developing strategies to combat diseases, stationary corals would be able to defend themselves against something like herpes, but I guess lack of opposable thumbs keeps them from being able to use protection... OK, one more joke. Back to the point, with a simple swab of coral tissue, we can learn a lot about what is causing a coral to become stressed, or conversely, producing proteins signaling growth (GFP for example). What would we call that test though? Polyp antagonist proteomics? So do our corals now have to have yearly polyp antagonist proteomic smears done? :eek: Poor acros, they suffer enough by my hand without subjecting them to PAP smears too. ;)

OP
OP
Diesel

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
PAP treatment ............. new term in the acro world.

nervousmonkey

LPS Lover, SPS Enabler
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
HAHA! If I actually started saying that I was taking a sample of my acros for a PAP, people would think I was nuts. Or super cool and cutting edge. Ooohh. LOL!

Eckolancer

LED GURU
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wonder if my acro has it but hasn't transmitted it to the others in the tank yet.
Before
218f2c6610bcec2b730ef7d32d5b61fd.jpg

After
158541e7cd64b040f62931057e09ab57.jpg

I am running kessils which are the one led that puts off true UV lighting. Might be the cause as this is one of the highest acros in the tank.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Filthy animals!

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 6 6.7%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 4.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 5.6%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 70 77.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 5.6%
Back