Heteractis magnifica--All colors

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Magnifica, unlike other anemones which hid their unprotected columns in the sand or in crevices, perk high up on flat surface and exposed their column for all to see. In our aquarium, the column color of the Magnifica added a lot to their attractiveness.
Magnifica2021031901RedBaseGreenTip.jpg
Tank 2016013107.jpg

@magdude's Magnifica
0cd29d70-fcb8-4c25-93a8-b0f4d5e72fc5-jpeg.2697867

Claybird1985

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Magnifica experts- why are you interested in the color of the base? I’m about to place an order and trying to decide which to buy. Thanks!
Whatever you choose you're sure to get a really nice specimen. These are very healthy mags from PEA and that is extremely hard to come by.
Keep in mind that of all the times we tend to pass over brown in all other corals-- don't do that here. Brown bases are really really awesome.

Seancj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Brown and tan bases can actually look bluish/greenish under LED's, so they should not be a reason to turn down an otherwise beautiful Mag!

hobbyreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just purchased the green with yellow base. I think it’s this one. Fingers crossed it ships ok. I’ve been eyeing the mags for a few years but have always been hesitant about shipping.
1681003484084.jpeg

Claybird1985

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just purchased the green with yellow base. I think it’s this one. Fingers crossed it ships ok. I’ve been eyeing the mags for a few years but have always been hesitant about shipping.
1681003484084.jpeg
It'll be fine. They do solid A+ shipping.. it's already really healthy anyway... you do always want cipro around just incase though! I don't think you'll need it but doesn't hurt to have.

OP
OP
PacificEastAquaculture

PacificEastAquaculture

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BTW
I do not use antibiotics for anemones. I have never found it necessary. Prophylactic use of antibiotics is not something we as a hobby should be doing. Antibiotics as a treatment are OK on an individual basis in qualified hands, but I've never found the need. Most hobbyists are not qualified to use powerful antibiotics indiscriminately and such usage has far reaching implications that far outweigh any short term hobby benefit.

I acquire these anemones from a particular trusted source. I give them lots of flow and natural sunlight. They are fed strategically. I keep water parameters at natural saltwater levels as best I can, this includes Iodine which I consider critical! ICP testing is crucial for accurate Iodine dosing. I use ESV brand 5% Iodide for dosing. Iodine levels are very important and impactful to bacterial populations. Good bacteria vs pathogenic bacteria. IME if you have STN/RTN or so-called "brown jelly" in corals or poor health in anemones, Iodine level is at the root and low Iodine level allows pathology bacteria to overtake the animal. Regular usage of Hydrospace PNS bacterial products is also very beneficial.

Last edited:

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tend to agree with Dr Mac here. I was the one that developed the treatment protocol for sick anemones with Cipro many years ago. It help a lot for sick anemones but today people use used Cipro and other antibiotic in such irresponsible ways that I am sorry that I I have part in promote antibiotic usage.
I know that it is not my fault. Antibiotic have been used before I popularized it, but the success of anemone treatment have a. Lot to do with increase antibiotic use.

Cali9dub

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
BTW
I do not use antibiotics for anemones. I have never found it necessary. Prophylactic use of antibiotics is not something we as a hobby should be doing. Antibiotics as a treatment are OK on an individual basis in qualified hands, but I've never found the need. Most hobbyists are not qualified to use powerful antibiotics indiscriminately and such usage has far reaching implications that far outweigh any short term hobby benefit.

I acquire these anemones from a particular trusted source. I give them lots of flow and natural sunlight. They are fed strategically. I keep water parameters at natural saltwater levels as best I can, this includes Iodine which I consider critical! ICP testing is crucial for accurate Iodine dosing. I use ESV brand 5% Iodide for dosing. Iodine levels are very important and impactful to bacterial populations. Good bacteria vs pathogenic bacteria. IME if you have STN/RTN or so-called "brown jelly" in corals or poor health in anemones, Iodine level is at the root and low Iodine level allows pathology bacteria to overtake the animal. Regular usage of Hydrospace PNS bacterial products is also very beneficial.
Were you referring to ESV potassium iodide (1%) ? I don’t see a 5% iodide on their website. Thanks ! I had always used Natureef iodine Plus in the past

Seancj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately, one of mine has started the inflation/deflation, with gaping, and letting go. I will see how it looks tomorrow morning and will start treatment if indicated.

tchan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately, one of mine has started the inflation/deflation, with gaping, and letting go. I will see how it looks tomorrow morning and will start treatment if indicated.
Mine is during the same thing. It starts to deflate around 4-7pm then inflate back. Been that way for few days already. I thought it’s normal. 1st time having these type of nem. I do have some Sherman rose anemone in the tank as well, but they are in the opposite side. It’s a 6ft tank.

Seancj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to report, but one of my two did not make it. Had to dispose of it this evening.

Seancj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Were you able to treat it?
Nope. It went from deflated and gaping this morning to large areas of edge tissue disintegration by the time I was home from work. It would not have recovered with cipro. Very disappointing.

krak256

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nope. It went from deflated and gaping this morning to large areas of edge tissue disintegration by the time I was home from work. It would not have recovered with cipro. Very disappointing.
Do you think you need to treat the tank to prevent a bacterial infection spreading?

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 21.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 74 34.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 71 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 9.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back