Hey Everyone!

Nirethell

Typical Wannabe Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just wanted to take the time to properly introduce myself. I've been a CTARS member and kind of lurking around the forums and setting up my tank for over a year now. I believe its time I reach out and start meeting some of you. Take the time to check out my build thread (Its Located in my Signature at the bottom, it says "View my Build Thread!"), Everything that I have done and gone through is on there. I'm a father of two, and when my time isn't taken up by them I have been attempting to put together a SPS dominated reef tank. I also have a freshwater African cichlid tank, and I currently have a breeding setup in my basement (about 50 fry atm in a 40b)

Ultimately I think it would be great to find some local people that enjoy the hobby as much as I do and enjoy bouncing ideas and thoughts off of each other. I Live in Putnam, CT I honestly don't mind people dropping in and chatting. So if you want to come over and give a new but fairly well informed reefer some advice or just want to check out the system let me know.

Last edited:

Robert's Reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello. thought I'm not yet a member of CTARS I do follow their forum. I have a mixed reef, four years, and I noticed that you also have 2 MP40's in your 90gal tank. I have a similar sized tank, and I'm wondering what are your MP40 settings? Robert

OP
OP
Nirethell

Nirethell

Typical Wannabe Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where is the thread

It is in my signature, It says "View my build Thread!" just click it and it will take you there.

Hello. thought I'm not yet a member of CTARS I do follow their forum. I have a mixed reef, four years, and I noticed that you also have 2 MP40's in your 90gal tank. I have a similar sized tank, and I'm wondering what are your MP40 settings? Robert

This I have done an absolute ton of research on, and what I have found out is that Nutrient transport mode is one of the best. I can take a SS or even an export of my schedule if you want. just let me know which you prefer.

schedule.jpg

OP
OP
Nirethell

Nirethell

Typical Wannabe Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you. That's stronger then my settings. You don't have a problem with drifting sand? Robert

I did at first but I've been slowly taking out sand and such and over time at these settings it does tend to settle. I wanted the higher settings for greater flow due to running as much SPS as I plan on running. Honestly I still feel like its a little low I have seen some of the SPS tanks I have really wanted and the surface agitation is just crazy strong, I'm sure once it gets more populated with sticks I will have to turn them up even more.

Sarah24!

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Sir,

Welcome to the forum, where you will find unlimited source of knowledge and some lovely people. We would all love to see pictures of your little micro ocean. Please feel free to ask for help if you need it.

How has your reef been doing and what have you setup etc. what made you get into saltwater reefing? As to this point of your hobby what have you enjoyed the most, and least favorite?

Sincerely
Sarah

OP
OP
Nirethell

Nirethell

Typical Wannabe Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Sir,

Welcome to the forum, where you will find unlimited source of knowledge and some lovely people. We would all love to see pictures of your little micro ocean. Please feel free to ask for help if you need it.

How has your reef been doing and what have you setup etc. what made you get into saltwater reefing? As to this point of your hobby what have you enjoyed the most, and least favorite?

Sincerely
Sarah

Hey there Sarah,

You actually posted In my build thread! Good to have you back, I beat the dinos and the tank is looking fantastic.

I got into the hobby because I was keeping African Cichlids, but I wanted more of a challenge. The reef tanks that I see are always a work of art and I have always wanted one in my living room. I had heard they are incredibly difficult to keep therefore it seemed like it was right down my alley.

It wasn't so much as difficult to keep, its more so that the amount of research needed goes up drastically.

Favorite part of the hobby is enjoying how my tank looks and watching the kids get excited when we get a new piece of coral or a fish.

Least favorite is the pests and loosing coral/fish.

Robert's Reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did at first but I've been slowly taking out sand and such and over time at these settings it does tend to settle. I wanted the higher settings for greater flow due to running as much SPS as I plan on running. Honestly I still feel like its a little low I have seen some of the SPS tanks I have really wanted and the surface agitation is just crazy strong, I'm sure once it gets more populated with sticks I will have to turn them up even more.

I have seen some settings as high as 100%. I don't know how they do it. I like that you run the Nutrient mode all night long. Good idea.

OP
OP
Nirethell

Nirethell

Typical Wannabe Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have seen some settings as high as 100%. I don't know how they do it. I like that you run the Nutrient mode all night long. Good idea.

This is true, and yes the NTM all night is perfect and keeps the display clean and detritus free. A lot of people really enjoy it because of the random flows it actually creates, perfect for sps

OP
OP
Nirethell

Nirethell

Typical Wannabe Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello and welcome!

Hey thanks! I know that CT has a pretty robust reefing community and I wanted to wait until my tank was slightly mature before "throwing myself to the dogs" haha. If you look over my build thread and have anything to add, I am all ears.

sassAwrasse

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome and congrats on setting up the new tank.

Feel free to come by our meeting on Saturday at 5pm at the Lutz Children's Museum in Manchester and say hi.

OP
OP
Nirethell

Nirethell

Typical Wannabe Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome and congrats on setting up the new tank.

Feel free to come by our meeting on Saturday at 5pm at the Lutz Children's Museum in Manchester and say hi.

Thanks, I most likely will stop in this weekend and meet some of you. The tank is over a year old at this point but as with everything else in this hobby it is ever changing for sure.

Bubbabobobbrain

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just wanted to take the time to properly introduce myself. I've been a CTARS member and kind of lurking around the forums and setting up my tank for over a year now. I believe its time I reach out and start meeting some of you. Take the time to check out my build thread (Its Located in my Signature at the bottom, it says "View my Build Thread!"), Everything that I have done and gone through is on there. I'm a father of two, and when my time isn't taken up by them I have been attempting to put together a SPS dominated reef tank. I also have a freshwater African cichlid tank, and I currently have a breeding setup in my basement (about 50 fry atm in a 40b)

Ultimately I think it would be great to find some local people that enjoy the hobby as much as I do and enjoy bouncing ideas and thoughts off of each other. I Live in Putnam, CT I honestly don't mind people dropping in and chatting. So if you want to come over and give a new but fairly well informed reefer some advice or just want to check out the system let me know.
Welcome aboard. Good to see another reefer in my neck of the woods. I’m in Thompson

Bubbabobobbrain

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome! We will have to get together then. Thompson is a stones throw from Putnam.

I just found out that sadly I wont make it to the meeting I have a funeral to attend.
Yeah I won’t be at the meeting either. Now that they changed the day of the meetings to Saturday’s I doubt I’ll be at any of them. Yeah meeting up at some point would definitely be cool. My tank currently looks like poop so I don’t really have anything to show off but if yours is doing good I’d love to check it out at some point

OP
OP
Nirethell

Nirethell

Typical Wannabe Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I won’t be at the meeting either. Now that they changed the day of the meetings to Saturday’s I doubt I’ll be at any of them. Yeah meeting up at some point would definitely be cool. My tank currently looks like poop so I don’t really have anything to show off but if yours is doing good I’d love to check it out at some point
A lot of my corals have been from frags therefore there isn't much going on but a bunch of encrusting frags give it another year or two and we may be on to something! Hahah either way I dont mind having fellow reefers over to check it out give me tips shoot the sh@%!

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 44 35.5%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 21.8%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back