Hey hey hey

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi and welcome .
I’d personally pick up a few test kits including ammonia , nitrate , and something to test the salinity ( refractometer )

if the ammonia is high do a water change .
if not let it ride .

I’d personally get rid of the gorilla crab and mantis shrimp if you plan on adding any other livestock .
Any pictures of the new setup ?
this would be a perfect time to start a build thread .

OP
OP
MrsJones91011

MrsJones91011

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi and welcome .
I’d personally pick up a few test kits including ammonia , nitrate , and something to test the salinity ( refractometer )

if the ammonia is high do a water change .
if not let it ride .

I’d personally get rid of the gorilla crab and mantis shrimp if you plan on adding any other livestock .
Any pictures of the new setup ?
this would be a perfect time to start a build thread .
Heya! So here's my hopeful(though potentially unrealistic) plan. The mantis kills the gorilla crabs and then once my tank is cycled, I move my hermits and clowns over to it and the Mantis to the 10 gallon. I did do a water change this afternoon due to the ammonia. I do have an ammonia test and refractometer. Plan on getting the other tests on Payday!

Thanks for the advice!

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Heya! So here's my hopeful(though potentially unrealistic) plan. The mantis kills the gorilla crabs and then once my tank is cycled, I move my hermits and clowns over to it and the Mantis to the 10 gallon. I did do a water change this afternoon due to the ammonia. I do have an ammonia test and refractometer. Plan on getting the other tests on Payday!

Thanks for the advice!
I love mantis shrimps and had one once as a hitchhiker .
I felt bad placing him in solitary confinement ( sump)

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hope so!! There is a serious lack of saltwater peeps in Central MS:(
There is YOU! YOU can be the spark!

Seriously though, perhaps this post might help you find others:

EDIT - I just discovered an app called ReefTrace in Apple store ($6) that one of its features is finding LFSs... I know: google can also do that... nice to have options

OP
OP
MrsJones91011

MrsJones91011

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is YOU! YOU can be the spark!

Seriously though, perhaps this post might help you find others:

EDIT - I just discovered an app called ReefTrace in Apple store ($6) that one of its features is finding LFSs... I know: google can also do that... nice to have options
Thank you! You're awesome! :cool:

RC51

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all!! I'm Lindsay, and a newb to the saltwater community. We have 3 freshwater systems, but I've learned Saltwater is a TOTALLY different ballgame! I started out in July with 2 marine hermits that my daughters found while we were vacationing in Pensacola. Being the animal lover we all are, we ran out and set up a 10 gallon saltwater tank the day we got home from the beach. Since then, we've gotten some astrea snails, a few more teeeeny hermits and 2 clown fish. I've finally defeated the diatoms in said tank So, it would be PERFECT timing to start a bigger saltwater tank, right? ‍♀️ Monday I set up our new 65 gallon tank with 60 lbs of live sand. Wednesday I had 65 pounds of live rock shipped over night from Salty Bottom. I gently scrubbed the rock with a toothbrush and saltwater(as 1 box of the rock smelled God awful). I think the smell is slowly dissipating thankfully, but now I assume my coralline algae is dying as there's a white layer of crud over a good part of the rock. Others have told me this is expected and to let it do its thing, so that's where I am! Hoping to do things right this time, where I didn't have that ability with the 10 gallon as I had to get the crabbies in water ASAP after returning from the beach! I'm sure you will see me post a gazillion and two times so I apologize in advance
Welcome to R2R!!!

OP
OP
MrsJones91011

MrsJones91011

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK. Where are my Pistol Shrimp peeps at?? I found 2 tiny inch long shrimps in one of the pieces of live rock I got last week. One is red and definitely has a large pincher on one side so presumably it's a pistol. However, it's cohabitating in the same hole as a little grey shrimp. It doesn't have a larger claw like the other shrimp, though. Do pistols normally shack up together??

First Pic is Grey Guy, 2nd is Redman and 3rd is them snuggling next to each other.

Attachments

• 20211013_184546.jpg
    20211013_184546.jpg
    145.9 KB · Views: 23
  • 20211013_185118.jpg
    20211013_185118.jpg
    177.9 KB · Views: 24
  • 20211013_191049.jpg
    20211013_191049.jpg
    142.9 KB · Views: 24

Just a Wrasse.

The biggest wrasse fan.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all!! I'm Lindsay, and a newb to the saltwater community. We have 3 freshwater systems, but I've learned Saltwater is a TOTALLY different ballgame! I started out in July with 2 marine hermits that my daughters found while we were vacationing in Pensacola. Being the animal lover we all are, we ran out and set up a 10 gallon saltwater tank the day we got home from the beach. Since then, we've gotten some astrea snails, a few more teeeeny hermits and 2 clown fish. I've finally defeated the diatoms in said tank So, it would be PERFECT timing to start a bigger saltwater tank, right? ‍♀️ Monday I set up our new 65 gallon tank with 60 lbs of live sand. Wednesday I had 65 pounds of live rock shipped over night from Salty Bottom. I gently scrubbed the rock with a toothbrush and saltwater(as 1 box of the rock smelled God awful). I think the smell is slowly dissipating thankfully, but now I assume my coralline algae is dying as there's a white layer of crud over a good part of the rock. Others have told me this is expected and to let it do its thing, so that's where I am! Hoping to do things right this time, where I didn't have that ability with the 10 gallon as I had to get the crabbies in water ASAP after returning from the beach! I'm sure you will see me post a gazillion and two times so I apologize in advance
Welcome to R2R!

Joining Welcome Home GIF

attiland

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R
Welcome to R2R.JPG

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 32.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 24.4%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 16 18.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 24.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back