Hey is .30 phosphates too high???

Natescorals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right now I’m only running phosgaurd. And my phosphates stay in the .20 — .30 range. It doesn’t really ever get any lower than .20... is this too high for corals to grow? I learned that high phosphates can slow calcification. Does anyone recommend any other type of filter media like GFO? I am also running a skimmer and refugium with chaeto.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is a bit high.

1. what light do you have for your chaeto

2. Do you have any idea where the phosphates are coming from (ie tap, overfeeding, rocks used previosuly but not cure, etc.)

I am not sure the exact amount of phosphates needed to slow coral growth but I am sure someone else can give you a better answer for that

45ZoaGarden

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is a bit high.

1. what light do you have for your chaeto

2. Do you have any idea where the phosphates are coming from (ie tap, overfeeding, rocks used previosuly but not cure, etc.)

I am not sure the exact amount of phosphates needed to slow coral growth but I am sure someone else can give you a better answer for that
+1 that’s a little high. Same questions and how much media are you using?

OP
OP
Natescorals

Natescorals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ll send a picture of the light I’m using. The rock has already been cured it’s been in the tank for about 6 months now. I use RODI water. I also noticed that when I mix my fresh saltwater the phosphates are at .20 in the newly mixed saltwater.

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What test kit are you using? It could be the test kit as new rodi water is usually not high in phosphate.

temfinger

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used BRS RODI, and reef crystals, w/Hanna checker and I'm getting .03. I wouldn't jump to buying a rector without discovering what is causing it. How often do you feed, any chance you have a busted magnet, of any other types of metals possible leaching into the system.

Whasmack

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That said - you should implement methods to lower it - Algae scrubber, GFO / rowaphos, BW Phosphat-E, etc.

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ll send a picture of the light I’m using. The rock has already been cured it’s been in the tank for about 6 months now. I use RODI water. I also noticed that when I mix my fresh saltwater the phosphates are at .20 in the newly mixed saltwater.

Whoa. Something is really wrong here. I'll put out a few guesses:
a) Your cuvettes are not clean -- particularly #2
b) The Checker is busted.
c) You have the Phosphate Checker but are using the phosphorus reagents
d) The opposite of c)
e) You are not converting Phosphorus to Phosphates and using the Phosphorus Checker
f) Somebody took a dump in your mixing barrel

Does the sample turn BLUE when you mix in the reagent?

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Also, any chance you have your Waste water and your RODI output lines switched?

Whasmack

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ppm or ppb? Because at .5 ppm you would have a tank full of dead coral.
According to the hanna checker - ppm! Checker could be bad too. Definitely not dead. The tank is full of growing corals

Recently got an algae scrubber up & running and waiting for that to take effect. (And dosing Phosphat-E). Chaeto dies off every time I put it in & GFO causes necrosis in my SPS.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hanna ULR, perhaps op is reading .005 ppb and not converting to ppm?

Source of number is curious!

greg 45

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The water coming out of your ro/di should read zero . Test your tap water to see if it also read high . You might need to run more chambers of ro/di resin to reduce po4 in your make up water. Also dont purchase color changing resin you are cutting down on the amount of resin that cleans the water.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 92 80.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.4%
Back