Hey There

RSNJReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Hey Everyone,

Had just joined the forum a few days ago and thought to introduce myself.

I’m Rish (people call me Rish or Rich, either is fine). Been a saltwater addict for over 8 years, and currently running a 55 gal Duncan and fish tank, a 90 gallon corner tank (all LPS), and a 270+ gallon system in the basement consisting of 2 40 gallon breeders, 3 20 gallon, 3 10 gallon tanks, and 3 sumps (1 20 and 2 40 gallon sumps) all plumbed into one system.

Had all freshwater tanks when younger, but, after buying a house, went all out into the saltwater side. Had started with one tank, which eventually became 2, then progressed into 7 separate systems at one point, then downsized to 3 systems.

Been a bit of a journey, and have successfully cared for various types of fish including water column fish as well as dragonets and seahorses. Now settled into what I have, but find myself changing/modifying systems frequently (I’m a bit of a diy guy, and like all of the things we can do with this hobby).

Nice to meet you all, and while I’m mostly a browser, looking forward to the conversations along the way. All the best.

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R
Tom Hanks Hello GIF

OP
OP
RSNJReef

RSNJReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef!!

Wow that's quite the system in the basement! What do you keep in all of those plumbed together tanks?

Hey Kristopher,

So, the basement system is about a year and some change old, and, it’s somewhat sparse to an extent because I keep some of the smaller tanks ready in case I need to separate a fish or on the chance of breeding between fish or the seahorses.
One of the 40 gallon breeders is purely an anemone tank (right in front of my workstation and quarantine station for any new fish, so when I’m working on stuff I can see the anemones), the on the other side of that is the other 40 gallon which is an lps coral only tank (somewhat sparse at the moment because I moved a bunch of my torch corals into the living room tank. These two tanks are plumbed into the 20 gallon sump with biological media, and the sump is plumbed into the “main” system where it exchanges water with the main system for about a half hour every night (so kind of like an indirect water change every day with the main system).

All of the other tanks is the “main system” (the 3 10 gallon and the 3 20 gallon tanks plumbed into 1 40 gallon sump with biological media and a second sump which acts as the return line). This main system is then plumed through the wall into the 5 gallon plastic tote over the utility sink in the basement (this 5 gallon tote contains the protein skimmer so the discharge from the skimmer goes straight into the utility sink). Right now the 3 10 gallon tanks are bare (I keep them that way in case I need to separate a fish or have unexpected babies), and for the 3 20 gallon tanks, one is bare but has water, and the other two have 2 seahorses each and a mandarin.

The thought behind the “main system” and the coral system exchanging water with the main system is that with the main system having the seahorses, that’s automatically set to do a 3 gallon water change daily, so the main system water is cleaner for the seahorses, and then by being able to control the water exchange rate between the coral/anemone and main system, I can keep the coral/anemone tank water a little dirtier for the corals.

I’m pretty much an LPS/anemone guy, but, always playing around with systems and changing things to try and make it more efficient. Just fascinated with how much we can do within this hobby.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0

Kristopher Conlin

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Kristopher,

So, the basement system is about a year and some change old, and, it’s somewhat sparse to an extent because I keep some of the smaller tanks ready in case I need to separate a fish or on the chance of breeding between fish or the seahorses.
One of the 40 gallon breeders is purely an anemone tank (right in front of my workstation and quarantine station for any new fish, so when I’m working on stuff I can see the anemones), the on the other side of that is the other 40 gallon which is an lps coral only tank (somewhat sparse at the moment because I moved a bunch of my torch corals into the living room tank. These two tanks are plumbed into the 20 gallon sump with biological media, and the sump is plumbed into the “main” system where it exchanges water with the main system for about a half hour every night (so kind of like an indirect water change every day with the main system).

All of the other tanks is the “main system” (the 3 10 gallon and the 3 20 gallon tanks plumbed into 1 40 gallon sump with biological media and a second sump which acts as the return line). This main system is then plumed through the wall into the 5 gallon plastic tote over the utility sink in the basement (this 5 gallon tote contains the protein skimmer so the discharge from the skimmer goes straight into the utility sink). Right now the 3 10 gallon tanks are bare (I keep them that way in case I need to separate a fish or have unexpected babies), and for the 3 20 gallon tanks, one is bare but has water, and the other two have 2 seahorses each and a mandarin.

The thought behind the “main system” and the coral system exchanging water with the main system is that with the main system having the seahorses, that’s automatically set to do a 3 gallon water change daily, so the main system water is cleaner for the seahorses, and then by being able to control the water exchange rate between the coral/anemone and main system, I can keep the coral/anemone tank water a little dirtier for the corals.

I’m pretty much an LPS/anemone guy, but, always playing around with systems and changing things to try and make it more efficient. Just fascinated with how much we can do within this hobby.
Wow that's awesome! Definitely quite the system you have going! You should share some pictures of it eventually it sounds really cool.

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 3 1.5%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 2.0%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 28 14.0%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 95 47.5%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 65 32.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.5%
Back