Hey Y'all

Kevied

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Yall, hope everyone is doing well. Been stalking these forums for years and decided to post.

1st salt was a 20 gallon long. Soft and a few LPS corals with the cheapest equipment I could find - - quickly outgrew within a year. Was fun, but wasn't fun at the same time... Amazon power heads and a current usa light, tiny finnex refugium. Thats Quint in the picture - he has horrible breath but he really seems to like us, so whatever...

12993508_10102563355941195_4643831983952955472_n (1).jpg

2nd salt was an upgrade to a 33 long. Love the shallow long tanks. Softy and LPS. Up for a year. Sold most of the livestock when we moved from Texas to Iowa, but kept the equipment. Heart breaking about the livestock.... It was all HOB (large CPR refugium and duel backpack), current usa light. Thats Benny - he is my bestie!
14370137_10102844064064865_978411451362986391_n.jpg

3rd tank was a fluval nano after the move (I think 6 gallon?) just because I didn't want to set up and take down a large tank again (I know 33 gallons is not large, but it was to me) - it was awesome and my favorite tank so far. I think it did so well because I had it over stocked so I had to do water changes every couple of days. It sprung a small leak after a year and a half and we didn't plan on moving for 3 years so back to the 33! Current usa light, mostly AIO except for powerhead and later on I put the finex refugium on it.
thumbnail_Image-1.jpg

4th tank (technically back to the 2nd?) - back to the 33 with the exact words to my wife “ I am going to set this up
And we are going to move soon.” moved 6 months later.... Upgraded to a zetlight, still HOB equipment - not too sure about the light, maybe too strong, to weak? I duno... But, funny thing was I stumbled upon a shallow rimless right after I set the 33 back up.......

thumbnail_Image.jpg

So yup, we moved, and the 33 did bad (this may because I went bare bottom for the first time). Massive and I mean massive hair algae outbreak. Got that under control and had a bubble algae outbreak. Used vibrant and it cleared out everything. 2 weeks later dinos... the dinos were the worst.. But a 5 day long blackout took care of them. By that time I had already decided I was going to set up the rimless... Had gotten a 34 triton sump (not for triton method, it was just on sale), a Reef Octopus Essence 130, Aquatic Life 36" T4 Hybrid to use with the zetlight, etc, etc, etc, I built a stand (whole thread by itself) which was horribly expensive and time consuming and hard plumed (ahhhh, why?!?!) and here we are. Still need to do power management and just tidy things up.

thumbnail_Image-2.jpg

So yeah, Lots of tanks... hopefully this one stays set up for awhile. Just wanted to say hi and hope everyone is doing good!

Kevin

Last edited:

Jimbhoy13

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Yall, hope everyone is doing well. Been stalking these forums for years and decided to post.

1st salt was a 20 gallon long. Soft and a few LPS corals with the cheapest equipment I could find - - quickly outgrew within a year. Was fun, but wasn't fun at the same time... Amazon power heads and a current usa light, tiny finnex refugium. Thats Quint in the picture - he has horrible breath but he really seems to like us, so whatever...

12993508_10102563355941195_4643831983952955472_n (1).jpg

2nd salt was an upgrade to a 33 long. Love the shallow long tanks. Softy and LPS. Up for a year. Sold most of the livestock when we moved from Texas to Iowa, but kept the equipment. Heart breaking about the livestock.... It was all HOB (large CPR refugium and duel backpack), current usa light. Thats Benny - he is my bestie!
14370137_10102844064064865_978411451362986391_n.jpg

3rd tank was a fluval nano after the move (I think 6 gallon?) just because I didn't want to set up and take down a large tank again (I know 33 gallons is not large, but it was to me) - it was awesome and my favorite tank so far. I think it did so well because I had it over stocked so I had to do water changes every couple of days. It sprung a small leak after a year and a half and we didn't plan on moving for 3 years so back to the 33! Current usa light, mostly AIO except for powerhead and later on I put the finex refugium on it.
thumbnail_Image-1.jpg

4th tank (technically back to the 2nd?) - back to the 33 with the exact words to my wife “ I am going to set this up
And we are going to move soon.” moved 6 months later.... Upgraded to a zetlight, still HOB equipment - not too sure about the light, maybe too strong, to weak? I duno... But, funny thing was I stumbled upon a shallow rimless right after I set the 33 back up.......

thumbnail_Image.jpg

So yup, we moved, and the 33 did bad (this may because I went bare bottom for the first time). Massive and I mean massive hair algae outbreak. Got that under control and had a bubble algae outbreak. Used vibrant and it cleared out everything. 2 weeks later dinos... the dinos were the worst.. But a 5 day long blackout took care of them. By that time I had already decided I was going to set up the rimless... Had gotten a 34 triton sump (not for triton method, it was just on sale), a Reef Octopus Essence 130, Aquatic Life 36" T4 Hybrid to use with the zetlight, etc, etc, etc, I built a stand (whole thread by itself) which was horribly expensive and time consuming and hard plumed (ahhhh, why?!?!) and here we are. Still need to do power management and just tidy things up.

thumbnail_Image-2.jpg

So yeah, Lots of tanks... hopefully this one stays set up for awhile. Just wanted to say hi and hope everyone is doing good!

Kevin
Welcome to R2R. Loved reading your history of tank building.

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Welcome to R2R!!! Thanks for the introduction! I noticed your #reefoctopus Essence 130 skimmer - nice choice when you need a small foot print - I have one too!

Clownfish.gif

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 133 59.9%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 64 28.8%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 79 35.6%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 39 17.6%
  • Other

Votes: 63 28.4%

Back