Hi All!! New here to forums and new to my first saltwater tank!!

butterflyluv

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got my first tank 29g bio cube!! So excited have been doing alot of research but would luv to learn more from people and have people for help cause im sure i will need some hahaha. I do have 1 question i have dry sand that i was told i could use ..what is best way to put in tank?

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome Butterfly!

I'm going to assume you already have water in the tank. The best way to add without creating a sandstorm is to use a pipe and funnel. I prefer 1 1/2 pipe. Cut the pipe so it's at least the depth of the tank. Put the pipe in the tank...all the way to the bottom. Put the funnel in the top of the pipe. Fill the pipe with sand. Now slowly lift the pipe and start moving it around to distribute the sand. Continue with this process until you have the sandbed you want. Note with "dead" sand, the tank will likely minicycle. Hope there is little in the tank in the way of life. If so, do a little sand over a longer period of time. Hope this helps.

Start a tank thread. Again, welcome, Paul

Last edited:

haleyf1024

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are using non- live sand, try using a few small pieces of live rock and/or live seawater to help get the cycle going. Don't rush this, as with dry sand it may take a bit longer to fully cycle. I had a biocube and used live sand, live rock, and live water. I had no cycle and added livestock less than a week after with 0 casualties and no bad water quality spikes. Did the same when I went to my 110 and again, had no cycle :)

OP
OP
B

butterflyluv

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well actually there is no water yet. I was told putting the rock in is easier without the water. So i haven't done anything but get the sand. I was told to get live rock for sure since the sand wasn't alive yet. So should i wait to do sand till i get water or easier to do without?

kschweer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome Butterfly!

I'm going to assume you already have water in the tank. The best way to add without creating a sandstorm is to use a pipe and funnel. I prefer 1 1/2 pipe. Cut the pipe so it's at least the depth of the tank. Put the pipe in the tank...all the way to the bottom. Put the funnel in the top of the pipe. Fill the pipe with sand. Now slowly lift the pipe and start moving it around to distribute the sand. Continue with this process until you have the sandbed you want. Note with "dead" sand, the tank will likely minicycle. Hope there is little in the tank in the way of life. If so, do a little sand over a longer period of time. Hope this helps.

Start a tank thread. Again, welcome, Paul

Solid advice ^. Welcome to R2R!!!

haleyf1024

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always found it easiest to place the rock, then add sand (rock will be stabilized because of the sand), then add water

kacrocorals581

Gotta have that acro
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well actually there is no water yet. I was told putting the rock in is easier without the water. So i haven't done anything but get the sand. I was told to get live rock for sure since the sand wasn't alive yet. So should i wait to do sand till i get water or easier to do without?
yeah put in the sand 1st and when your putting in water lay a plate down on the sand so you don't stir it up real bad helps alot

OP
OP
B

butterflyluv

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks i was told to use live rock and water since the sand was non live and i am so taking my time i am in no rush i want it to be very nice. I see all these great tanks and i want to get there but im patient person :) The rock is what i am so unsure about cause i want it perfect haha

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK, now seeing it's without water....rock first, then sand, then water. Put something in the tank....say a plastic cup...to pour the water first into that, and let it overflow into the tank to fill. This will minimize the sand storm. Don't be a bit surprised to have a milky looking tank for three or four days.

I like your slow approach. You'll now have to wait for the tank to cycle...and that's time!

OP
OP
B

butterflyluv

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sorry if im all over i have never used forums but have heard such great things so still figuring out how all this works...i feel dumb with it all...but im sure ill figure it out

haleyf1024

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used Carib-Sea fiji pink sand and it came with a little packet of clarifying stuff that actually worked pretty well for me, my tank was clear after only 2 days. Of course, some people don't use it and others who have say it doesn't work, it is all debatable but I liked it :)

OP
OP
B

butterflyluv

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok sounds perfect i will work on getting the rock and wait on this sand...thanks so much cause i almost put it in but i wanted advise before i did

OP
OP
B

butterflyluv

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used Carib-Sea fiji pink sand and it came with a little packet of clarifying stuff that actually worked pretty well for me, my tank was clear after only 2 days. Of course, some people don't use it and others who have say it doesn't work, it is all debatable but I liked it :)

i have the carib sea mine is a fine white sand i love the look of it just didn't realize when i bought it it wasn't live was mislead at the store

OP
OP
B

butterflyluv

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also have a quick question...what is the best way to go as in a heater...I haven't found anything for a 29g so not sure the watt i should get....don't want to over do it or under do it :)

haleyf1024

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you want you can always see if they will exchange it [emoji5]️

haleyf1024

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My biocube never needed a heater. It was always at 77-80 degrees by itself. Get a good thermometer while it cycles and see where yours stays with the lights on and off

OP
OP
B

butterflyluv

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My biocube never needed a heater. It was always at 77-80 degrees by itself. Get a good thermometer while it cycles and see where yours stays with the lights on and off

Oh ok i do have a good thermometer i will watch it and see where it stays. I have a 5g tank at work that was given to me and pre started why im so new to it and it doesn't have a heater and stays between 71-72 and all is happy in there lol

haleyf1024

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They may stay happy short term but most marine life we keep need upper 70s to 80 degrees to stay healthy [emoji6]

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 33 26.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 40 32.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 37 30.1%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back