Hi all - some advise please if possible?

BeejReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That website is odd. He linked the proper URL, but it defaults to the home page.

If you put this "Barcode: 781578010010 | Manufacturers Code: MBD15000BLACK" onto the search bar of swallow aquatics, you can see the tank he favors.

My only real concern would be the lights. I don't think they are what you would want long term. It's not really possible to sell an all in one with appropriate lighting for freshwater and reef.
I don't know the market over there and if it's a great deal otherwise. Looks like a very nice tank. Cool to have a four chambered sump!

welcomeXD.gif

OP
OP
Jarvisffc

Jarvisffc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R! The tank looks nice but need more info on the lighting. The only concern I would have with lighting that's included with a tank set up is usually they're not up to par and weaker than the brand name lighting. Suitable for a fish only tank and maybe some corals mentioned above but if you want to move on to the harder corals like sps you'll need to supplement the lighting or replace it with a good aftermarket one.

Thank you, what brand name lighting would you recommend please? Is there a spec or type etc you would recommend?

OP
OP
Jarvisffc

Jarvisffc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That website is odd. He linked the proper URL, but it defaults to the home page.

If you put this "Barcode: 781578010010 | Manufacturers Code: MBD15000BLACK" onto the search bar of swallow aquatics, you can see the tank he favors.

My only real concern would be the lights. I don't think they are what you would want long term. It's not really possible to sell an all in one with appropriate lighting for freshwater and reef.
I don't know the market over there and if it's a great deal otherwise. Looks like a very nice tank. Cool to have a four chambered sump!

welcomeXD.gif

Thank you, Im more than happy to upgrade the lighting when purchasing, sure I can get a good deal from the guy there if purchased all up front, Ive got to add skimmer and heaters as well

GThompson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks for the responses all, so quickly, awesome, Ill try to not be too much of a noob
Thank you, Im more than happy to upgrade the lighting when purchasing, sure I can get a good deal from the guy there if purchased all up front, Ive got to add skimmer and heaters as well
The Kessil 360x seems to be the favored lighting nowadays. That’s what I will go to in the near future. Keep in mind this is a never ending or never have enough hobby :) Welcome to R2R

najer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you, I would like a coral and fish system, nothing too aggressive, a nice pleasant tank for the simple type of fish if honest, ask my wife and you get the usual, finding nemo type reply :)

I want to be invest up front to get the correct equipment, not saying money is no object but I don't want to shortcut anything, Ive been reading about tank computers etc for example, I want this to be as controlled a process as possible and will definitely follow the step by step approach to ensure I give myself as much chance as possible to succeed.

Welcome, hi, my name is Simon and I am from Bristol in England on planet Earth.
Please don't buy this tank unless it exactly fits a spot and your decor!

My big system including sump is 700 litres, custom built, you will hate the shape of that tank eventually, let us know what you can fit and where please.
Yes you can run that marine, sump looks fine, ignore the lights, good over a sump refugium, a place to grow algae you want.

Think of the view you want into the tank, depth of field, front to back, in my opinion it is too tall and not deep enough from front to back.
It will be harder to run, in my opinion, for a novice.
If 2K is you tank budget there will be nicer off the shelf tanks but possibly smaller. we are all here to help and advise, get a picture of what you would like to look at in your mind. :)

OP
OP
Jarvisffc

Jarvisffc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome, hi, my name is Simon and I am from Bristol in England on planet Earth.
Please don't buy this tank unless it exactly fits a spot and your decor!

My big system including sump is 700 litres, custom built, you will hate the shape of that tank eventually, let us know what you can fit and where please.
Yes you can run that marine, sump looks fine, ignore the lights, good over a sump refugium, a place to grow algae you want.

Think of the view you want into the tank, depth of field, front to back, in my opinion it is too tall and not deep enough from front to back.
It will be harder to run, in my opinion, for a novice.
If 2K is you tank budget there will be nicer off the shelf tanks but possibly smaller. we are all here to help and advise, get a picture of what you would like to look at in your mind. :)

Thank you, ive also been looking at the e-reef pros but the depth is less than the Cleair one. The nile is 150cm x 60cm depth, I cant find any online with greater depth that 60cm.

https://www.swallowaquatics.co.uk/ea-reef-pro-1500.html

najer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you, ive also been looking at the e-reef pros but the depth is less than the Cleair one. The nile is 150cm x 60cm depth, I cant find any online with greater depth that 60cm.

https://www.swallowaquatics.co.uk/ea-reef-pro-1500.html

My lfs has one of these running I think, very nice tanks.
I believe you might have to go custom built to get front to back deeper.
That would be a great base for a system, imo.

OP
OP
Jarvisffc

Jarvisffc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My lfs has one of these running I think, very nice tanks.
I believe you might have to go custom built to get front to back deeper.
That would be a great base for a system, imo.

Thank you, I like the look of the system, the Cleair Nile 1500 has a volume of 720l, the EA Reef Pro less at 536, I assume that's because the Nile is 90 cm's tall compared to 60cm for the EA as the sump etc will be bigger do you think?

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks for the responses all, so quickly, awesome, Ill try to not be too much of a noob
I had my first saltwater tank 20 years ago. Kept them off and on since then. And I still feel like a noob. Really helpful people on this forum and no question is stupid or frowned upon. Ask away. Happy reefing and welcome aboard!

o00brandon00o

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just joined, hi all, from the UK, had tropical tank for 10 years and then sold it about 5 years ago, had the itch for a marine reef tank since then, now looking into all the options available.

Looking for a large tank,, found this in a local store, what are peoples thoughts on this as a starter and the equipment needed to be added to it please?

swallowaquatics.co.uk/nile-aquarium-1500-black

@Jarvisffc Welcome to R2R!!!

jd371

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you, what brand name lighting would you recommend please? Is there a spec or type etc you would recommend?
I personally like the Kessils because of the shimmer they produce in the tank, but the drawback is these are a spot source light so there's more shadowing. I'm using the Aquatic Life Hybrid lighting so there's T5's to supplement the Kessils and help with the shadowing. Since you still haven't set up the tank yet there's time to research so you can get the correct lighting for your needs. Some of the brand name lighting available are Ecotech, Aqua Illumination, Kessil, Reefbreeders, keep in mind that they are pricey and if you want to keep the cost down there are the variety of Chinese black box lighting available on ebay that are better than what you would get with the tank and are able to grow all types of coral.

OP
OP
Jarvisffc

Jarvisffc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally like the Kessils because of the shimmer they produce in the tank, but the drawback is these are a spot source light so there's more shadowing. I'm using the Aquatic Life Hybrid lighting so there's T5's to supplement the Kessils and help with the shadowing. Since you still haven't set up the tank yet there's time to research so you can get the correct lighting for your needs. Some of the brand name lighting available are Ecotech, Aqua Illumination, Kessil, Reefbreeders, keep in mind that they are pricey and if you want to keep the cost down there are the variety of Chinese black box lighting available on ebay that are better than what you would get with the tank and are able to grow all types of coral.
awesome, thank you.

What sort of filtration system in the sump would you recommend, filter media, skimmer and auto top up I assume?

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 42 30.7%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.6%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 35 25.5%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 49 35.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.4%
Back