Hi all - some advise please if possible?

Jarvisffc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just joined, hi all, from the UK, had tropical tank for 10 years and then sold it about 5 years ago, had the itch for a marine reef tank since then, now looking into all the options available.

Looking for a large tank,, found this in a local store, what are peoples thoughts on this as a starter and the equipment needed to be added to it please?

swallowaquatics.co.uk/nile-aquarium-1500-black

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just joined, hi all, from the UK, had tropical tank for 10 years and then sold it about 5 years ago, had the itch for a marine reef tank since then, now looking into all the options available.

Looking for a large tank,, found this in a local store, what are peoples thoughts on this as a starter and the equipment needed to be added to it please?

swallowaquatics.co.uk/nile-aquarium-1500-black

Welcome to R2R!

I tried following the link you provided but it only brought me to the landing page for Swallow Aquatics. That being said, there is quite a large variety of tanks and equipment for the hobby and, as I'm sure you have discovered, ranging in prices. I have to admit that I'm not readily familiar with what is available in the UK. However, there are many reefers on this site from your neck of the woods. One of them is @najer and maybe we'll hear from him with some suggestions for you!

tenor.gif

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef!
welcome 5.jpg

Your 'link' is for the store and not the tank you are looking at. Maybe try it again? You stated that you are looking for a 'large' tank. How about putting some kind of number range to that size. I have a 40g cube and to me a 75g tank is large, but to somebody with a 300g tanks, even a 75g may be considered small. BTW, for those that don't know, a gallon is equal to 3.78 liters which is probably what @Jarvisffc is use to using.

Just try and give us more information and I'm sure you'll get both help and suggestions.

OP
OP
Jarvisffc

Jarvisffc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef!
welcome 5.jpg

Your 'link' is for the store and not the tank you are looking at. Maybe try it again? You stated that you are looking for a 'large' tank. How about putting some kind of number range to that size. I have a 40g cube and to me a 75g tank is large, but to somebody with a 300g tanks, even a 75g may be considered small. BTW, for those that don't know, a gallon is equal to 3.78 liters which is probably what @Jarvisffc is use to using.

Just try and give us more information and I'm sure you'll get both help and suggestions.

Thanks for the reply, wonder if this link will work:
https://www.swallowaquatics.co.uk/nile-aquarium-1500-black.html

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is no such thing as being too much of a noob! We all started somewhere. And most of the people here just want to be helpful or ask questions, so ask away.

And if people help you, you can let them know it by clicking on the 'like' button at the bottom of each post. And if you need help and aren't getting the replys you need, type in #ReefSquad and you'll send an alert to a group of experienced volunteers here at R2R. And since I typed it, you'll get replies form lots of us now.

The tank you are looking at seems to be well done and with almost everything you'll need to get started. You might look at some of the articles here at R2R as some of them can be helpful to noobs or even people returning after being out of the hobby for some years. Technology is moving pretty fast in this hobby.

P-Dub

The ocean is open to all, merciful to none.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome!!!
As the description states, there are items that you will need in addition to the setup as is. I wish there was some more clarity of the lighting system. It will all depend on what inhabitants you plan on keeping that will determine what other equipment you will need. Tell us about your goals and then what you really hope to achieve over the long run. It is always better to spend a little more now rather than a lot later.
So let's hear what your hope and dreams are.
Hit Like and Share often!

OP
OP
Jarvisffc

Jarvisffc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome!!!
As the description states, there are items that you will need in addition to the setup as is. I wish there was some more clarity of the lighting system. It will all depend on what inhabitants you plan on keeping that will determine what other equipment you will need. Tell us about your goals and then what you really hope to achieve over the long run. It is always better to spend a little more now rather than a lot later.
So let's hear what your hope and dreams are.
Hit Like and Share often!

Thank you, I would like a coral and fish system, nothing too aggressive, a nice pleasant tank for the simple type of fish if honest, ask my wife and you get the usual, finding nemo type reply :)

I want to be invest up front to get the correct equipment, not saying money is no object but I don't want to shortcut anything, Ive been reading about tank computers etc for example, I want this to be as controlled a process as possible and will definitely follow the step by step approach to ensure I give myself as much chance as possible to succeed.

P-Dub

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you, I would like a coral and fish system, nothing too aggressive, a nice pleasant tank for the simple type of fish if honest, ask my wife and you get the usual, finding nemo type reply :)

I want to be invest up front to get the correct equipment, not saying money is no object but I don't want to shortcut anything, Ive been reading about tank computers etc for example, I want this to be as controlled a process as possible and will definitely follow the step by step approach to ensure I give myself as much chance as possible to succeed.
Now that brings us to the next question... What types of corals? At this point, you will need to buy a heater or two, a skimmer, a quality return pump and recirculating pumps inside the DT, for starters. Different or additional lighting may likely be needed unless you can get detailed, and I do mean detailed info on the lights. Lighting is a very important aspect of a successful reef aquarium.

OP
OP
Jarvisffc

Jarvisffc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now that brings us to the next question... What types of corals? At this point, you will need to buy a heater or two, a skimmer, a quality return pump and recirculating pumps inside the DT, for starters. Different or additional lighting may likely be needed unless you can get detailed, and I do mean detailed info on the lights. Lighting is a very important aspect of a successful reef aquarium.

Thank you, Ill speak to the store, I know they had the lights on display in there. Types of corals, now I really need to read up then, I am open to suggestions and advise on the easiest to have, would like something that looks alive if you know what I mean.

Ive got a friend whose just decommissioned his marine tank as he found coral and fish too hard to keep, are these sort of setups harder than fish only I assume?

P-Dub

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you, Ill speak to the store, I know they had the lights on display in there. Types of corals, now I really need to read up then, I am open to suggestions and advise on the easiest to have, would like something that looks alive if you know what I mean.

Ive got a friend whose just decommissioned his marine tank as he found coral and fish too hard to keep, are these sort of setups harder than fish only I assume?
Harder is relative. Better attention to husbandry techniques and maintenance of ideal parameters is needed. Consistency is the key. Start with easier corals like Zoanthids and shrooms, and some leathers and higher nutrient tolerant corals. They ar are more forgiving as you tune your skills and are more likely to be successful.

OP
OP
Jarvisffc

Jarvisffc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Harder is relative. Better attention to husbandry techniques and maintenance of ideal parameters is needed. Consistency is the key. Start with easier corals like Zoanthids and shrooms, and some leathers and higher nutrient tolerant corals. They ar are more forgiving as you tune your skills and are more likely to be successful.[/QUOTE

awesome, thank you

jd371

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R! The tank looks nice but need more info on the lighting. The only concern I would have with lighting that's included with a tank set up is usually they're not up to par and weaker than the brand name lighting. Suitable for a fish only tank and maybe some corals mentioned above but if you want to move on to the harder corals like sps you'll need to supplement the lighting or replace it with a good aftermarket one.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 42 28.6%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.4%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 40 27.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 52 35.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 5.4%

Back