Hi all!!:)

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Jennifer. Nice to meet you. As you probably know this can become a life long obsession and you can put as much or as little in it as you like. If I were you I would start with just fish and rocks but get your lighting so that later you can add some corals. All the corals you will want to keep require lighting. Like many things there are very easy and cheap fish and really difficult and expensive fish. I would start with easy, cheaper fish, no mandarins, pipefish, seahorses etc. The cheapest and easy fish are called damsels like clownfish. They will eat almost anything and live very long, like 25 years. The problem with many of the cheaper damsels are they think they are the King of the tank and will bother anything else you try to put in there. Some people start with them and then give them back to the store and get other things. The store probably won't give you anything for them but at least they will have a home. Then you can move on to other fish that will be able to live out their life without bothering other things. Fish like Royal Grammas, wrasses, bleenies, and gobies are all easy and average about $35.00 or so.
Eventually if you like what you have and are able to keep them alive you can get some easy corals. Then it gets more complicated because you will have to be concerned with water purity more than with just fish.
Good luck and I wish you well.
Paul

Fin

Professional Procrastinator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
welcome-1.gif

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R
As @reeferfoxx stated a budget is good to start out. Here is my start up budget for my start up below. My regret is that I was not as active on R2R when I setup my budget and purchased. The only thing from my original budget is the rock, tank, and sand. You are correct patients. Make your list and ask question about certain equipment you are thinking of purchasing. For example lights. $200 for the light now that will work but after discovering that you would like to grow corals that require better light. The better light cost $350+ $200 now one has $550 in to a lights the could have cost $350 total for a light the one will use for along time without the need for a upgrade. I also found that reviews make a difference after receiving advice. I would go to Amazon.com for the reason that it is not a reef site but just Amazon with good reviews.
Please alway fee free to ask.
:)

72 Startup Budget.png

Atrain

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You know I'm still learning about them all. In some of my searches I have seen very expensive coral! Is this hobby one that can be done on a budget ? :-/
If you buy stuff used it's possible to save a lot of money... Stick with LPS or softies as they tend to be more forgiveing, cheap Chinese black box leds do work and are cheap and cheaper in the long run as far as not replacing bulbs... If you can DIY a sump / refugium out of a cheap used 20g that's going to save... But take your time shop around read and read see what you want and take your time looking for used stuff.one thing you will find is there are Alot of people doing the same thing differently.Alot of people will trade equipment aswell. Good luck on your adventure

OP
OP
littlejjohnson

littlejjohnson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yup!
fwiw. My first reef was about $150-200. There's a lot of ways to skin a cat;)

I've already got the tank, light fixture( have to buy the bulbs). A large canister filter and powerheads , so I have a start :) I know there's a lot more to get though :)

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like you are doing, small steps.

ReeferMaddness843

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like everyone said, you're on the right track by putting a plan together before jumping in. Craigslist and used equipment will save a lot. Just make sure to ask questions. Also, you can do budget, but don't skimp on something as you will wish you had done it in the first place and end up double buying something. It's an adventure and you can make it as fun as you want. Started with freshwater myself. (6 of em I believe). Now have my 2 salt tanks and that's more than enough for me to keep up with now. Best wishes on your journey. Oh, and as progress is made, we love pictures. Welcome to the addiction.

Freshwater filter only or is it? Have you ever used an HOB filter on a saltwater tank?

• I currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank.

Votes: 56 24.7%
  • I don’t currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 59 26.0%
  • I have used a HOB on fish only or quarantine tanks, but not on the display tank.

Votes: 54 23.8%
  • I have never used a HOB on a saltwater tank.

Votes: 54 23.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.8%
Back