Hi all!!:)

littlejjohnson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My name is Jennifer and I'm looking to change my 36 gallon bow front from planted freshwater to saltwater reef and fish tank! I'm super excited and am planning on taking my time researching and asking questions. I want to accomplish something amazing and my dream tank. Any suggestions, advice, criticism are WELCOME. :) I look forward to this adventure!!

helen ann

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Jennifer!!
Use This One.jpg

skybears

Lovin it
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Jennifer and welcome from another new person to myself this is a wonderful site for information I have spent countless hours in all types of threads just learning and learning one of the nice things that you find is if you have a question that you can't find quiet on the threads you can ask and you'll definitely get an amazing answer. One thing that I found is everybody is very kind and very knowledgeable ask any question because no question is stupid I hope you enjoy the site and everything that it has to offer sincerely Vanessa

ngvu1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome and you will like it here. Salt water and you are doing a reef or fish only? Anyway Reefing 101 is patient, patient and patient....read and ask questions as much as you can before jumping in.

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You know I'm still learning about them all. In some of my searches I have seen very expensive coral! Is this hobby one that can be done on a budget ? :-/
Depends on what your perception of budget is? This hobby is near limitless on upgrades. You have an existing tank. You will need a gyro or wave maker for waterflow. Maybe a hang on back skimmer and lighting better suited for coral.

http://www.LiveAquaria.com has everything categorized. Not all coral are expensive. Compared to freshwater plants and fish? yes. This hobby is expensive but is rewarding also.

I came from years of freshwater experience. I will say, it's easy at first. It's really nice how your CUC or clean up crew helps take care of the tanks clean appearance.

Your shopping list for a budget tank could start with

25-36lbs Live Rock - ~$180 +/-
1 or 2 bags of dry sand - $30-$40
1 HMO-150 Finnex Heater 150watt -$33.29
2 Jebao RW-4/PP-4 - $100
165W MarsAqua Dimmable LED Aquarium - $85 to $95
Aquamaxx HOB-1 Skimmer w/ bubble stopper - On Sale $191.98 (marinedepot)
Test kits - $45-65

Estimated cost = $675.27 (price doesn't include food, coral, fish, auto-top off system)

**This is just an example**

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 6 20.0%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 24 80.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back