received_680853599283486.jpeg

ShepherdReefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all!!

So I am a real Newb and have found the forums very informative. I was recently gifted a 100g live rock tank/system(used) from a friend and have started my initial setup and cycling.

I had African cichlids fo over 20 years but got rid of my tank when we moved a couple of years ago. I had always wanted to make the leap to saltwater, and apparently now is the time.

While his tank had been established with live rock/sand it was in a rental unit of his and was not well maintained. It was very dirty when I received it and after cleaning and 48 hrs of cycling it seems to be moving along as expected.

Ideally I would like to develop this into a reef tank and add some fish and critters. The kids want to go to the fish store and pick fish now, but have been told they will have to wait for a while to make sure the water parameters are correct.

I am sure that I will be experiencing some expensive lessons in the near future, but hopefully not.

I will continue to educate myself here and will likely be asking a lot of questions.

My equipment is as follows:
Fluval FX 5 filter
2 x Marineland 1200 power heads
Crappy rectangular protein skimmer that hangs on the back (no clue on the manufacturer)
Light- Ordered a Coralife Seascape LED(the fluorescent light that came with it crapped out on day 2. It was pretty crappy looking so I am not sad).

20201124_084234.jpg
Hello and welcome

Back