Hi... and overwhelmed by so much info

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most definitely an expensive hobby. If it's your passion you do it some how. The enjoyment I get from watching my little box of water and colors is priceless.

Craigslist is a good place to get items and local reef clubs.

Look again at the AIO tanks I suggested. As previously posted the Biocube, JBJ and Nuvo are all good nano tanks.

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks like a 60 gallon tank will cost me about $1,000 including everything (including sump, protein skimmer, live rocks, corals etc.)
That actually sounds on the cheap side, provided all new equipment and quality live rock.
I then searched a lot on craigslist to see if anyone out there is selling their equipment for cheap but it doesn't look like there's a decent bargain on craigslist either.
Be careful; sometimes buying used equipment is a waste of money. Just make sure you know the condition of what you're buying and that it is sized adequately for your system.
Are you guys somehow making money by breeding your fish or reselling or something?
Very few people breed/raise clowns successfully; that takes a lot of commitment, money, and space just to get things established. Lots of people sell coral frags on the side, but unless someone has a full commercial setup going on, any selling a hobbyist does isn't enough to cover the expenses.

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

cowboyguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok. I'm getting this deal from someone:

60g Tank with Stand
36"-42" Marineland Reef LED light
Coral Life T5 Blue Antic
Bubble Magus NAC 3.5
20 Gal Sump
Coral Life UV Sterilizer 9W
Jebao 10wp Power Head
Tonga and Fiji Live Rock (Purple Coraline)
A couple polyps
Sand bed

Most of the equipment is about 2 years old, except light and power head that are sort of new.

I'm getting all this for $420.

Do you think it's a good deal?

Kylecva

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like a really good deal! If all the equipment is in working order. do you have pictures of the setup?

Tabasco1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like a good deal.. I don't think I would use their sand bed though. I would get new sand if you are going the sand route. Some folks like bare bottom. Moving an existing sand bed will likely be more trouble than it is worth. Just take a cup of the existing sand to seed new bed.

Marc.The.Shark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, sounds like that gets you most of what you need! Like Kylecva says, test to make sure everything is in working order & I'd jump on it

OP
OP
C

cowboyguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's the pic. Actually there is one other deal that I like a lot but that is costing $1,000. I believe his equipment is more advanced and better quality, and he has a lot more coral. But the price difference is sorta too much.

Attachments

• Craigslist.jpg
    Craigslist.jpg
    23.6 KB · Views: 122
OP
OP
C

cowboyguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tabasco1, can you please explain what you mean by "Just take a cup of the existing sand to seed new bed"? I'm not familiar with the sand system at all.

Kylecva

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is that a trigger?! And do you have pics of the equipment.

OP
OP
C

cowboyguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is that a trigger?! And do you have pics of the equipment.

Not sure if that's a trigger. I'm not getting any fishes from this person.

Also, I don't have any pics of the equipment. Considering the quality of the equipment is average (or even below average), do you think the price is still worth it? I haven't seen the equipment yet but I'll only get it once I've seen it and satisfied with it.

Finally, based on your years of experience, how does the tank look to you?

OP
OP
C

cowboyguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally don't like the lighting much but I guess you can always change it.

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tabasco1, can you please explain what you mean by "Just take a cup of the existing sand to seed new bed"? I'm not familiar with the sand system at all.

Fish tanks, saltwater and fresh, have a biological filter composed of certain types of bacteria that convert ammonia (toxic) to nitrates (not toxic within reason), this process is called the nitrogen cycle. Without these bacteria the bi-products of animal metabolism (ammonia....) become toxic.

To assist in promoting the biological filter (which you must have) you take some media (sand, rock, filter media)from an existing tank, and introduce that media with the bacteria to a new system.

OP
OP
C

cowboyguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so I've got all the equipment. We started moving the equipment at 8 pm and it was almost midnight when we moved and installed everything.

So the live rocks are lying in a container full of his water. Now I need to get two things:

1) Water for the tank.
2) Fiji Pink sand

Do you know where and how can I get the water? Just go to a LFS and get it? Can I use tap water? What's usually recommended for water?

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just go to a LFS and get it?
If your LFS offers it, you could, but it may not be "best" depending on how often they change their filters.
Can I use tap water?
Not recommended. You could easily be shooting yourself in the foot so to speak depending on the TDS level and contaminants of your municipal water.
What's usually recommended for water?
The makeup water should be as pure as possible; RODI (reverse osmosis & then de-ionized) water is recommended. Then mixed with a good salt (and what's a "good" or "best" salt is another highly debated subject).

OP
OP
C

cowboyguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks evolved.

I purchased an RODI system. But since it would take a few days to deliver, I purchased 60 gallons of RO water from a LFS. I also purchased a salt mixer.

Should I put the RO water, salt and sand at the same time?

Also ONE VERY IMPORTANT QUESTION: the LFS person said that if I mix too much of the sand of the previous owner, it can destroy the whole thing. I think I'm mixing 10 pounds of sand from the previous tank owner (to get the bacteria). Is that too much?

OP
OP
C

cowboyguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
URGENT HELP NEEDED

I put water in my tank and switched on everything. Apparently there's a small water leakage in the drain line to sump.

I tried to move the piping but it won't. The water leaks in little drops but I'm ina state of panic. Should I be OK since the water will fall back to the sump?

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bump for ya!

Saltgator

Tang Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd say of its dripping back into the sump, it'll be fine for now but needs to address soon. Is the leak in a bulkhead or just in the pipe?

Good trouble: Have mushrooms ever become pests in your aquarium?

• Mushrooms would never be pests even if they kept replicating.

Votes: 26 16.6%
  • Mushrooms have not become a pest for me.

Votes: 65 41.4%
  • Mushroom have become overgrown, but not to the point of becoming pests.

Votes: 22 14.0%
  • Mushrooms have become pests in my aquarium.

Votes: 35 22.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 5.7%
Back