Hi, complete newbie from Alabama.

Coxey81

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, thanks for having me. Hoping to learn alot from here.

I've been doing some research and have watched BRS's 5 minute guide to seting up your first aquarium. I plan to watch the 52 weeks of reefing.

I have decided if I join the hobby I want to go ahead and start with a large tank, around 125g.

Because of that as for now it will remain a dream for at least another 5 years as the location I want to put the DT is occupied by a desk and will remain so until my oldest moves out. After that her bedroom will turn into my office and a place for the desk, a mixing station, quarantine tank, etc.

But that gives me alot of time to plan and learn.

I would like to have a reef tank, but would be ok with starting with a FOWLR.

Im trying to decide if I would want to buy used or new.. and if used to what extent. I have seen several people selling some pretty nice looking and well maintained setups on Facebook marketplace. Some even moderately to well stocked for good prices. So I suppose my first question is what would be envolved in moving a tank like that as far as caring for the fish, coral, etc until the tank was setup?

Would I want to quarantine the fish, dip the coral, etc to make sure they are parasite free before reintroducing?

Or would I be better off looking for something that doesn't involve moving any thing living, or maybe only fish?

Thanks for any help, just trying to understand my options.

PeterC99

Solarbenchmark.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!

I’m a big proponent of buying used equipment including aquarium setups. That’s the way I got mine. Always ask condition, how old, bought new or used, and why selling. Ideally someone is upgrading to a larger aquarium or getting out of the hobby. You can used the marketplace on this site or similar selling site.

Can definitely start with mixed reef with very interesting fish and inverts. You are starting this the right way by doing your research first!

olonmv

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome and you’ve got a tooooon of time to research!!!

since you have a goal of 125 gallons and a 5 year set point, maybe you can try your hand at a nano tank and get the hang of what this hobby has to offer. You’re gonna need a ton of patience and there’s a bit of a learning curve.

Im almost a year into my first ever reef tank and it’s definitely been a rollercoaster of emotions. I currently run a 13.5 evo (13 gallon) tank with corals fish and inverts. I bought all my stuff brand new because I wanted to start
fresh and new. Now that I’ve got a little experience under my belt I’m more comfortable with shopping for used if need be, since I kinda know what it is that I need.

dipping coral, Qting fish are definitely good habits to get into. At first all I did was dip coral for pests and would just add my fish direct. That was until I had an outbreak of ich. It was a pain goin through the process of catching my fish let alone trying to figure out how to setup a qt tank for medicating. I now have a 10 gallon tank tha continuously runs for those times I want to add livestock. It’s a dedicated tank just for observation and I gives peace of mind when you purchase new fish that you have somewhere to watch the fish/coral/inverts and make sure they’re ok before adding to DT. Take all the cautionary routes you can to save the headache of having to do emergency measures.

I personally like movement AND the color variation that corals offer so I have all types of life in my lil chunk of sea. Good luck with your reef and research research reasearch!!!!

oh, and….. be prepared to make the occasional trip to whatever pet store you chose when/if it’s ever time for that emergency. It’ll happen, guaranteed.

OP
OP
Coxey81

Coxey81

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome and you’ve got a tooooon of time to research!!!

since you have a goal of 125 gallons and a 5 year set point, maybe you can try your hand at a nano tank and get the hang of what this hobby has to offer. You’re gonna need a ton of patience and there’s a bit of a learning curve.

Im almost a year into my first ever reef tank and it’s definitely been a rollercoaster of emotions. I currently run a 13.5 evo (13 gallon) tank with corals fish and inverts. I bought all my stuff brand new because I wanted to start
fresh and new. Now that I’ve got a little experience under my belt I’m more comfortable with shopping for used if need be, since I kinda know what it is that I need.

dipping coral, Qting fish are definitely good habits to get into. At first all I did was dip coral for pests and would just add my fish direct. That was until I had an outbreak of ich. It was a pain goin through the process of catching my fish let alone trying to figure out how to setup a qt tank for medicating. I now have a 10 gallon tank tha continuously runs for those times I want to add livestock. It’s a dedicated tank just for observation and I gives peace of mind when you purchase new fish that you have somewhere to watch the fish/coral/inverts and make sure they’re ok before adding to DT. Take all the cautionary routes you can to save the headache of having to do emergency measures.

I personally like movement AND the color variation that corals offer so I have all types of life in my lil chunk of sea. Good luck with your reef and research research reasearch!!!!

oh, and….. be prepared to make the occasional trip to whatever pet store you chose when/if it’s ever time for that emergency. It’ll happen, guaranteed.
I wouldn't mind doing a nano with plans to upgrade, but I've heard they were harder to keep water in balance, etc.

Have you found that difficult? Right now the only place I have to put one would probably be a 20 gallon max.

G Santana

Hospitality Elf
View Badges
Reaction score
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/this-little-pigg
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!

I’m a big proponent of buying used equipment including aquarium setups. That’s the way I got mine. Always ask condition, how old, bought new or used, and why selling. Ideally someone is upgrading to a larger aquarium or getting out of the hobby. You can used the marketplace on this site or similar selling site.

Can definitely start with mixed reef with very interesting fish and inverts. You are starting this the right way by doing your research first!
I am also a proponent of buying used where you can and new where you must.
There is so much to buy but again so much you can save.
Do your homework and search the forums.
Somethings to consider used:
Protien skimmer
Media reactor
Live/dry rock
Power heads
Calcium reactor

Things I don't buy used are Hanna Test kits, they are great but when you buy used you take a risk.

Lights, you really don't know their history

If you are handy, look into DIY projects where you can. Tank stands, cabinets and many others

Good luck on your reefing journey!!!

G Santana

Hospitality Elf
View Badges
Reaction score
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/this-little-pigg
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!

I am also a proponent of buying used where you can and new where you must.
There is so much to buy but again so much you can save.
Do your homework and search the forums.
Somethings to consider used:
Protien skimmer
Media reactor
Live/dry rock
Power heads
Calcium reactor

Things I don't buy used are Hanna Test kits, they are great but when you buy used you take a risk.

Lights, you really don't know their history

If you are handy, look into DIY projects where you can. Tank stands, cabinets and ma

Good luck on your reefing journey!!!

NowGlazeIT

Happy to help, Ask away.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!
I think the all in one or AIO is a great start because water changes are a good way to manage a low maintenance reef. I have 120g now but started with a bio cube. My 120 has had way more tinkering done like changing filtration methods. All the fish provide so much waste, I find myself struggling to find the right balance of nutrients in and nutrients out with my skimmer, phyto and carbon dosing. I don’t see the 120 as easier then my bio cube. If something seemed off in that cube I just ran a larger water change that week. It was also easier to maintain a routine schedule because the maintenance demand was so low. Now I’m like danggit, I gotta swap the carbon reactor, clean the skimmer, scrape 8feet of glass, phosphates shot up so I either run a water change or break out the gfo reactor or both…oh and it’s been 6 months so my gyres are in need of a good cleaning. I MISS YOU BIO CUBE!!

I suggest you go low maintenance smaller tank. To fall in love first then sign up for the abuse….why does reading that last part,remind me of marriage.

OP
OP
Coxey81

Coxey81

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol, well I looked around the house and I actually have a decent spot for a 3 foot 40g breeder tank or smaller.

I wouldn't mind starting with that and then using the 40 gallon later as a sump tank for the 125 or a QT.

The location I have planned for the 125 is actually directly adjacent to my daughter's bedroom which will become my office and where I will keep the mixing station, etc.

So I'm thinking I can keep the sump tank and all of the equipment in there so it's easy to access and maintain and just run the piping through the wall. And have it piped up to do water changes straight from the mixing station.

Right now I'm just still confused at what all I need and what all is optional when it comes to equipment and test kits/devices etc.

If I do a smaller tank first I would like to purchase things I could use later with a 125.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 42.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 25 20.2%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 42 33.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back