Hi! Extremely new reefer here!

PTXReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to the R2R community and happy reefing!

giphy.gif

sunken3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The phosphates should decrease with time as the tank balances out. Even if the rocks have high phosphates you can always keep a 16:1 ratio to stabilize algae growth and still promote healthy coral and fish health. I don’t like GFO personally but it does do it’s job! I cycled with a frozen shrimp lol mix it up but a bottle of MB7, DrTims should be plenty, never failed. Gosh ready no risk.
what's not to like?? you clearly haven't been using GFO correctly...

step 1 - let phosphates get ridiculously out of control,
step 2 - spend a fortune on GFO (high capacity GFO if you're in the know)
step 3 - use GFO in mass amounts to barely get your phosphates down, before they begin to rise again,
step 4 - repeat.

foolproof!

Bleigh

The best bad influence
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
WELCOME @Macie!!! As far as "clear-cut", there are many ways to skin a cat, not all necessary wrong or right, just different. Take a look at Cycling an Aquarium and The Supreme Guide To Setting Up A Saltwater Reef Aquarium . Your plan sounds good. Feed your bacteria once established. The garage is fine with a heater and put a lid on it. When you think you are done cycling, wait a little longer, week or two, and test if things have changed. Change water or don't, up to you. I cycled for just under 4 months, changing 90% of the water twice. Take this process slow.

Great advice. And definitely many opinions on how to do this, but it sounds like you have a clearer action plan than you may think! Can't wait to see the tank and the progress! Consider starting a build thread to track everything too!

OP
OP
Macie

Macie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome. One thing I would recommend is watching the BRS 52 weeks of reefing series in YouTube. It’s a great series to help get base foundation.
I did watch it, which I have found quite informative and can be overwhelming. I do find myself going back to that series often as there is so much information. It is hard to remember everything!

Bleigh

The best bad influence
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did watch it, which I have found quite informative and can be overwhelming. I do find myself going back to that series often as there is so much information. It is hard to remember everything!

There is a ton of info there! I did the same. I picked one thing to figure out at a time. Just take it slow. Sometimes people who have been doing this for 10-15 years can forget how much there is to learn (no offense to the experts, you guys are amazing!!!). I had my tank up for about 4 months and panicked because other people were panicking that I didn't have a skimmer yet. So I rushed out and bought the first one I got my hands on. My tank was totally fine. I had plenty of time to get my hands on one. It sounds like you are doing all the research and doing all the things you should be doing. You're going to have an awesome tank! Can't wait to follow the build!

Bleigh

The best bad influence
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly, when I ordered live rock, as long as it was from a reputable source I literally threw it in my tank... just my experience no issues no problems. One regret I have is finding them off maybe 5-10 minutes for the dust but I hear curing works also. Personally I think less is more and a bottle of Dr.Tim’s works great :)

P.S.... You should start a build thread too!

giphy.gif

OP
OP
Macie

Macie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did not cure my Marcos dry rock I just put it in the tank and filled with water and then added ammonia and waited for it to cycle. Lights off, wave maker on, and skimmer on (to break it in). I could be wrong but I thought curing rock was for live rock although I did see that BRS do a video on curing the same rocks. So...?
I've been getting answers from both spectrums.. "absolutely you still need to cure dry rock" and then "nope its dry rock, throw it in the tank and start the cycle there.."
AHH!! IDK?!
So I was going to just do it anyways to be safe.. (enter shoulder shrug here)..

Bleigh

The best bad influence
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been getting answers from both spectrums.. "absolutely you still need to cure dry rock" and then "nope its dry rock, throw it in the tank and start the cycle there.."
AHH!! IDK?!

I will say, I just put my marco rock in my tank and have been letting it cycle for a few weeks. I will probably do some work on it tomorrow and create a new video to go along with it. I'm hoping I'll be able to add my fish into the tank this weekend. No need to rush though. You'll be happier doing what you're comfortable with.

PBnJOnWheat

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
AHH!! IDK?!
It’s really all opinion. I’ve had my struggles with algae which (part of the hobby which makes it unique and challenging) could have many different causes or even a single main cause. Personally I think 99% of precautions in the hobby are not worth spending the extra time/money yet I just setup an apex, trident, and another ph tester soooooo again all just opinion and you gotta go with wht makes it worthwhile for you, your budget, the time you wanna spend etc.

OP
OP
Macie

Macie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to r2r Macie! Always happy to see other lady reefers around these parts! ;-) Don't forget to start a build thread so we can follow along your journey.
Hey! Thank you! I'm quite excited!!
Ummm idk what or how a build thread is but I'm sure I can figure it out! haha

PBnJOnWheat

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Build thread is like a thread like this post except you attach videos, pictures of your ‘build’ or tank setup. I haven’t done one so idrk but you get a badge too :eek:

Bleigh

The best bad influence
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Build thread is like a thread like this post except you attach videos, pictures of your ‘build’ or tank setup. I haven’t done one so idrk but you get a badge too :eek:

Here are some links.... Also, if you click people's build thread badges, it takes you straight to their build thread, which is nice.

Member's Aquarium Discussion
Please share your aquarium set ups here! Whether you have nano aquarium, mid-size box of glass, or an indoor swimming pool for fish this is the place to be.
www.reef2reef.com
www.reef2reef.com
www.reef2reef.com

So you want a BUILD THREAD CONTRIBUTOR badge???
Well, here's the way to get one! STEP 1: Start a build thread in one of our member tank forums (CLICK HERE). *Btw, it doesn't have to be a new tank. It doesn't matter if your tank has been up for 40+ years, we would still love for you to start a build thread/tank journal where we can follow...
www.reef2reef.com
www.reef2reef.com

OP
OP
Macie

Macie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Coolsville.gif

Welcome Macie! I think your plan to cure your rock is a good one. You can cure your rock in the garage with a circulation pump and heater, just keep an eye on your temp. As long as the temp stays in the 70's it'll be fine (covered). I'd add the bacteria right away with an ammonia source. You can use ammonia, but fish food or salad shrimp works fine. You my want to do a water change periodically to drain off excess nitrates and phosphates, depending on how long it cures. In my opinion, the longer it cooks, the better. It'll give you a chance to get comfortable testing ammonia, nitrate, phosphate, etc... Good luck!
Thank you for the great feedback! When I start the water/salt mix, does the salinity matter right at the beginning of this phase? And also during the water change if/when I need to change it out?
Also what test kit do you recommend for the ammonia, nitrate, phosphate etc?
Thanks again!

Marine430

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
honestly if I were to start brand new I would just add the rock to the tank and get some bacteria (bio spira) and maybe a few chromis! You will want to keep the salinity as stable as possible 1.023-1.025 Range. I also don’t think that you will need to do water changes since you are trying to grow bacteria. Rocks smell in general so not much you can do with that.

Marine430

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
API test kits are the cheapest to get started In saltwater. salifert are probably the best! I would buy api nitrites, ammonia, and ph. Salifert for nitrate, phosphate, Alkalinity. When you grow into the hobby Hanna checkers are great also for phosphate and alkalinity

Bleigh

The best bad influence
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
API test kits are the cheapest to get started In saltwater. salifert are probably the best! I would buy api nitrites, ammonia, and ph. Salifert for nitrate, phosphate, Alkalinity. When you grow into the hobby Hanna checkers are great also for phosphate and alkalinity

I second this. And a refractometer for salinity.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 37 34.6%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 23 21.5%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 8.4%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 5.6%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 29 27.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back