Hi! Extremely new reefer here!

BighohoReef

A reefer in need is a friend indeed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef! Let’s see the tank! :)
giphy.gif

Bleigh

The best bad influence
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

This picture has always made me laugh! Is his actually you? And if so, what is up with the gatorade bottle? I have a chair about this close to my tank also. Best seat in the house!

KingTideCorals

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Guys!
I am an extremely new reefer who has found herself overwhelmed recently!
I would like to start my process now by starting the curing of the rock (dry) now, since it does take a few weeks to months, and I will purchase my tank at the beginning of the year.
I can't seem to find clear cut answers, directions, or steps on curing dry rock.
Here is my plan and please let me know what I am missing.
I plan on having a 60 gallon tank so..
50-60lbs of Marco's dry rock
Brute trash can
I need RO/DI system for my water
Salt
Mix the salt with the RO/DI filtered water
Put the rock into the mix with a heater and a pump for circulation..
Cover the trash can with a lid? or don't cover?
I plan on putting this in the garage since it will be stinky..
Will that be ok as there will be a heater in the water (and it is now winter)
Some people say to change out the water when it becomes stinky (do i do this)
Then once levels are tested and ready, I can add live bacteria and continue the curing cycle?

Please let me know, I am extremely open to feedback. I just want to do it right.
Thanks for reading and your advice!
Hello! Welcome to Reef2Reef! Awesome place to be and be a part of! Sure someone on here will be able to answer your questions.

If you are looking for possibly some helpful videos maybe check out my YouTube channel! My PMs are always open! Let me know how you like the channel, and hope it can help out some way!!

otakiusamn242

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great idea to start the cure/cycle process now. Get those rocks seeded while you're waiting on your tank. I'm not an expert like everybody here, I'm pretty new myself, but your initial post is quite spot on. Brute, Marco Rocks, saltwater, heater, powerhead. Get salinity and temperature right, add nitrifying bacteria next. You can throw a cocktail shrimp in there as your ammonia source ( if it starts to smell funky after a few weeks, throw a bag of carbon in there ) or you can dose ammonia directly. Regular testing follows. The garage being cold shouldn't be a problem as long as you can crank up the heater to maintain proper temperature, maybe a good idea to keep the lid on too.

Last edited:

mike550

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R! You'll find that this is a very helpful group, and everyone is willing to share their thoughts. As someone new to reefing (about a year) the amount of information can be overwhelming. My suggestion is to figure out what makes the most sense for you.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Welcome to your new home for saltwater reef aquarium resources and fun! Welcome to the family! :D
welcome-home-logo-greeting-png.1484246

OP
OP
Macie

Macie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great idea to start the cure/cycle process now. Get those rocks seeded while you're waiting on your tank. I'm not an expert like everybody here, I'm pretty new myself, but your initial post is quite spot on. Brute, Marco Rocks, saltwater, heater, powerhead. Get salinity and temperature right, add nitrifying bacteria next. You can throw a cocktail shrimp in there as your ammonia source ( if it starts to smell funky after a few weeks, throw a bag of carbon in there ) or you can dose ammonia directly. Regular testing follows. The garage being cold shouldn't be a problem as long as you can crank up the heater to maintain proper temperature, maybe a good idea to keep the lid on too.

What testing kits do you recommend to check for my ammonia etc? Do I wait for those levels to be normal (which idk what the normal levels are either), then add the live bacteria? I heard Tim's or Bacteria7 works well?

Bepis

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome macie hope your tank is a success. With the marco rocks you dont really need to cure. For cycleing you can use a live bacteria like brightwell aquatics start xlm+ quikcycle and the other popular option Dr. Tims. For these cycling bacterias make sure to read the entire instructions as things can slow down you cycle. You dont want to seal saltwater mixing as there are some gas that comes out of the water as it mixes. You should probably find a insulated location for the brute as a heater can get overworked break or worst of all explode/melt. Remember nothing good happens fast in the hobby, like the Navy Seals say Slow is Smooth, Smooth is fast. Make a plan, you can never be to prepared. What type of system are you planning on (Fish, Corals, Inverts, etc.) and if you need any advice ill follow this page.

Bepis

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What testing kits do you recommend to check for my ammonia etc? Do I wait for those levels to be normal (which idk what the normal levels are either), then add the live bacteria? I heard Tim's or Bacteria7 works well?
Your levels dont matter really before the cycle and I recommend the popular option Api, IMO the yellow readings are easier to see

sunken3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
get one of those cheap stick on ammonia test strips... you're likely never going to test for ammonia again so no sense in spending good money on a kit. really same with nitrite... once cycled it really shouldn't ever be an issue...

spend money on a good refractometer (I like the electronic milwaukee), nitrate (Nyos), phosphate (I like the hanna ULR phosphorus checker)

Bepis

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the hanna refractometer and checkers

OP
OP
Macie

Macie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome macie hope your tank is a success. With the marco rocks you dont really need to cure. For cycleing you can use a live bacteria like brightwell aquatics start xlm+ quikcycle and the other popular option Dr. Tims. For these cycling bacterias make sure to read the entire instructions as things can slow down you cycle. You dont want to seal saltwater mixing as there are some gas that comes out of the water as it mixes. You should probably find a insulated location for the brute as a heater can get overworked break or worst of all explode/melt. Remember nothing good happens fast in the hobby, like the Navy Seals say Slow is Smooth, Smooth is fast. Make a plan, you can never be to prepared. What type of system are you planning on (Fish, Corals, Inverts, etc.) and if you need any advice ill follow this page.

Thank you so much! I did some research on Dr. Tim's fishless cycling recipe. If I purchased the
1) Dr. Tim's One and Only
2) Dr. Tim's Ammonia Chloride
3) Dr. Tim's Aquatic Defense
I could just cycle my tank (rock and sand included)? Once levels are good, I can proceed to add fish?
I think I am finally getting clarity!

Funston07

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Guys!
I am an extremely new reefer who has found herself overwhelmed recently!
I would like to start my process now by starting the curing of the rock (dry) now, since it does take a few weeks to months, and I will purchase my tank at the beginning of the year.
I can't seem to find clear cut answers, directions, or steps on curing dry rock.
Here is my plan and please let me know what I am missing.
I plan on having a 60 gallon tank so..
50-60lbs of Marco's dry rock
Brute trash can
I need RO/DI system for my water
Salt
Mix the salt with the RO/DI filtered water
Put the rock into the mix with a heater and a pump for circulation..
Cover the trash can with a lid? or don't cover?
I plan on putting this in the garage since it will be stinky..
Will that be ok as there will be a heater in the water (and it is now winter)
Some people say to change out the water when it becomes stinky (do i do this)
Then once levels are tested and ready, I can add live bacteria and continue the curing cycle?

Please let me know, I am extremely open to feedback. I just want to do it right.
Thanks for reading and your advice!
First, welcome to R2R!!! Second, take a breath and relax. You got this and everything will make sense with time, research, and help from the wonderful people here. Hope you enjoy the process like all of us.

Bepis

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you so much! I did some research on Dr. Tim's fishless cycling recipe. If I purchased the
1) Dr. Tim's One and Only
2) Dr. Tim's Ammonia Chloride
3) Dr. Tim's Aquatic Defense
I could just cycle my tank (rock and sand included)? Once levels are good, I can proceed to add fish?
I think I am finally getting clarity!
First, welcome to R2R!!! Second, take a breath and relax. You got this and everything will make sense with time, research, and help from the wonderful people here. Hope you enjoy the process like all of us.
Yep. There is no rush your tanks not going anywhere. I have no experience with dr Tim’s but I do with Brightwell Aquatics. I did a fishless cycle, if it works the same way then yes once you have converted ammonia to nitrites and then nitrites to nitrates, Nitrates will be high but will balance out and you may do a water change, start skimming (if your going to), and you can start adding fish slowly.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 141 88.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back