Hi! Extremely new reefer here!

Travv26

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to the party we all were at your stage before. Some even myself may have not taken the time to plan then go over your plan and make a list of materials, thought, ideas. As you stated curing the rock can take sometime. Plan from fish you want, corals, equipment, and keep a note pad. I know you can do apps and spreadsheets, but something about paper and pen to even if it’s just a thought or keeping track of how much salt you have added to ro water when your saltwater. I weigh my salt out grams to gallon vs 1/2 cup or so to gallon.

Glad to have you join the team, tons of information going around. Many different thoughts and ideas while still having a great looking tank, just take your time and find what fits your lifestyle.

giphy.gif

reefviper101

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Guys!
I am an extremely new reefer who has found herself overwhelmed recently!
I would like to start my process now by starting the curing of the rock (dry) now, since it does take a few weeks to months, and I will purchase my tank at the beginning of the year.
I can't seem to find clear cut answers, directions, or steps on curing dry rock.
Here is my plan and please let me know what I am missing.
I plan on having a 60 gallon tank so..
50-60lbs of Marco's dry rock
Brute trash can
I need RO/DI system for my water
Salt
Mix the salt with the RO/DI filtered water
Put the rock into the mix with a heater and a pump for circulation..
Cover the trash can with a lid? or don't cover?
I plan on putting this in the garage since it will be stinky..
Will that be ok as there will be a heater in the water (and it is now winter)
Some people say to change out the water when it becomes stinky (do i do this)
Then once levels are tested and ready, I can add live bacteria and continue the curing cycle?

Please let me know, I am extremely open to feedback. I just want to do it right.
Thanks for reading and your advice!
Welcome to r2r I'm not sure dut i would recommend going on youtube to brstv they have all kinds of guide to help

OP
OP
Macie

Macie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did not cure my Marcos dry rock I just put it in the tank and filled with water and then added ammonia and waited for it to cycle. Lights off, wave maker on, and skimmer on (to break it in). I could be wrong but I thought curing rock was for live rock although I did see that BRS do a video on curing the same rocks. So...?
I am leaning more towards this method. Would you want to keep skimmer on during the bacteria build? The skimmer would just filter all the bacteria wouldn't it? or no?

canadianeh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am leaning more towards this method. Would you want to keep skimmer on during the bacteria build? The skimmer would just filter all the bacteria wouldn't it? or no?
Welcome to R2R! :cool:

Check our my build thread. I documented the testing results during cycling.
I started to run my skimmer on the last two weeks of the cycling. The bacteria will grow on surfaces so no need to worry about them being skimmed out. Keep the lights off completely as this will minimize chance of algae break out. You will be tempting to turn the lights on, but hold your ground.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to the forum!

Marine430

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No the skimmer will take out a bunch of particles floating around. It is also the only thing that can take fish pee out of the water. Water changes just dilute it.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 39.8%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 21.1%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back