hi-fin red banded goby and pistol shrimp love triangle

skijumpersc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently placed a pair of hi-fins and an unknown species of pistol shrimp (Pistol ID thread) into QT. I havent had any experience with gobies, but they were spending at least 50% of the time hanging out together so I assumed they had paired up. For the first 4 days they showed zero interest in the shrimp, and I was beginning to suspect that its one of the alpheus species that doesn't pair.

Two days ago I returned from work to find one of the gobies sharing a burrow with the shrimp. The other is now on his own.

I've only seen the goby that found the shrimp stick his head out a couple of times since he paired up, and when I feed the tank he doesn't come out for food. The other goby eats voraciously and explores the tank with confidence.

The burrow is a small pvc elbow buried in a bowl full of sand, I'm wondering if there isn't enough room for all three of them to share it, even though they dont seem to mind enclosed spaces or if the gobies werent actually paired.

My end goal is a pair of gobies and a shrimp living in harmony, if anyone has any recommendations on how to acheive this I'd love to hear them

OP
OP
S

skijumpersc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Patience. Give the current inhabitants time to figure things out.
Sounds good, it's been about 2 weeks now. Id like for them to figure it out while they're still in qt, that way if any aggression or territoriality does arise its a lot easier to catch them than after I transfer to my DT

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Even if they figure it out in qt, they may very well break up again when introduced to the dt.

OP
OP
S

skijumpersc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Even if they figure it out in qt, they may very well break up again when introduced to the dt.
Yeah. I think if the one that hadnt find the shrimp was the one hiding and not eating I'd be more inclined to try swapping it out, but they both seem to be pretty happy doing their own thing so I guess I'll let it ride

Building with glass and silicone: Have you ever built a tank or had a custom tank built?

• I have built an aquarium.

Votes: 6 13.6%
  • I have had a custom tank built.

Votes: 9 20.5%
  • I have never built a tank or had a custom tank built.

Votes: 26 59.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 6.8%
Back