Hi from Ireland! Need help identifying somethings in new setup.

Irish Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone,

Recently purchased a 170litre tank from our local saltwater aquarium store here in Ireland (Would you believe there's only roughly 6 stores over here that supply saltwater fish,corals etc )
Its up and running 3 weeks, all parameters have been fine until yesterday ammonia slighly high but shop supplied me with a blocker to add.

We have live rock, 7 or 8 frag corals, 2 pissaco clownfish, 1 chalk goby, 2 cleaner shrimp, 3 snails and 3 hermit crabs.

There's a few things in the tank I'm unsure of and hoping for help in identifying and if its an issue what to do next. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Red polp in green star polp? Shrimp shedding? Some bug on blue zoas and other corals with waving hand type polps growing on the them? Also a few hitchhiker on one of our corals that think might be baby bristle starfish?

20200818_103042.jpg

20200818_110854.jpg

20200818_111025.jpg
20200818_111059.jpg
20200818_111153.jpg
20200818_110932.jpg
20200818_103630.jpg
20200818_103119.jpg

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to the forum!

Crabs and shrimp molt. Their exoskeleton does not grow so they shed it periodically. No worries here.

Hard to see red thing and bug on zoa. Small bugs tend to be harmless amphipods or copepods, but the zoa bug looks like neither to me in that pic. A pest dip might be prudent.

You do have aptasia on the zoa 4th pic. Those are the tentacles. Not sure what is in the other circle. Aptasia has got to go asap.

The brain coral or favites or whatever it is looks like feeding tentacles. No worries if so.

The trumpet looks like its dying for some reason and the flesh may be getting picked at. An iodine dip would be recommended.

If you can, pluck out the red thing and zoa bugs for a closer look and better pic.

OP
OP
Irish Reef

Irish Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to the forum!

Crabs and shrimp molt. Their exoskeleton does not grow so they shed it periodically. No worries here.

Hard to see red thing and bug on zoa. Small bugs tend to be harmless amphipods or copepods, but the zoa bug looks like neither to me in that pic. A pest dip might be prudent.

You do have aptasia on the zoa 4th pic. Those are the tentacles. Not sure what is in the other circle. Aptasia has got to go asap.

The brain coral or favites or whatever it is looks like feeding tentacles. No worries if so.

The trumpet looks like its dying for some reason and the flesh may be getting picked at. An iodine dip would be recommended.

If you can, pluck out the red thing and zoa bugs for a closer look and better pic.

Thank you for your reply, all information is extremely helpful, I'll dip the zoas and iodine the candy cane today and hope for the best. Ill get try remove the red thing from the gsp too and post pictures

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 32 20.5%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 1.3%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 116 74.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.8%
Back