Hi, new reefer here from Scandinavia

Reef By Steele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
KM7 welcome to the reef. I discovered this forum as it seemed to always come up when I googled a question. Finally joined, then chose to become a supporting member and later a partner member to keep the forum available for others to come. My wife @Ocean_Queenie and I started culturing copepods and phytoplankton eventually selling some on here as a hobbyist. Eventually we decided to try to make a career out of it so we are now sponsors as well. I love the Reef2Reef community here and the wealth of knowledge. Thanks for joining us.

As for your amphipods get some ohyto plankton and dose daily as that will nourish them.

You mention micro algae, but I believe you are wanting macro algae. Caulerpa, chaeto, etc. When I was first in the hobby 20 years ago I loved the Caulerpa that was shaped like a feather. You will need to harvest regularly as it can overtake the system.

Brazilian Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

I'm new to reefing, however I've have have 2 freshwater aquariums. I used to have 4, but now I have converted one nano 8g tank for SW and one 5g for Quarantine tank.

I've done mostly aquascaping with the FW tanks, all of them have been slightly dirtied tanks with good success, trying to take the best of both worlds, a little soil with more "high tech" equipment such as Co2 Injection, all been heavy planted with light stocking.

But! Now for the last 8 months I've been wanting to try Saltwater been doing a lot of research. I promised myself if I still wanted after new years I would buy basic equipment and so I have.

I want to go low tech SW to try out. I plan to have light stock - maybe only invertebrates since it is a small tank and a few corals. I will also try to get suitable microalgae over time. I've always had a weak spot for FW plants so hopefully I can get some microalgae.

I dont plan to use any supplements at the moment, only a 10 - 20% weekly water change (more if needed). Since its such small volume its easier to go for water changes rather than using equipment to keep the water clean, especially in a smaller apartment..

This might change it I convert my bigger tank(15g) to SW if I end up enjoying this more than FW.

My main tank 8g is cycling atm and my quarantine tank (5g) holds 2 hardy frags - 1 gorgonian and 1 GSP I got locally. Most likely I will only go for soft corals for this tank as I'm still learning.

Looking forwards to the ugly phases and see how it develops - kind of liked this with my FW as well as I'm quite interested in seeing the ecosphere develop. Already got some Amphipods in a plastic container that I'm going to add soon once they have something more to eat in the MT.

-Edit (Accidentally pressed post before I was done! )
Welcome to R2R and Happy Reefing!

Macbalacano

Recovering Reef Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

I'm new to reefing, however I've have have 2 freshwater aquariums. I used to have 4, but now I have converted one nano 8g tank for SW and one 5g for Quarantine tank.

I've done mostly aquascaping with the FW tanks, all of them have been slightly dirtied tanks with good success, trying to take the best of both worlds, a little soil with more "high tech" equipment such as Co2 Injection, all been heavy planted with light stocking.

But! Now for the last 8 months I've been wanting to try Saltwater been doing a lot of research. I promised myself if I still wanted after new years I would buy basic equipment and so I have.

I want to go low tech SW to try out. I plan to have light stock - maybe only invertebrates since it is a small tank and a few corals. I will also try to get suitable microalgae over time. I've always had a weak spot for FW plants so hopefully I can get some microalgae.

I dont plan to use any supplements at the moment, only a 10 - 20% weekly water change (more if needed). Since its such small volume its easier to go for water changes rather than using equipment to keep the water clean, especially in a smaller apartment..

This might change it I convert my bigger tank(15g) to SW if I end up enjoying this more than FW.

My main tank 8g is cycling atm and my quarantine tank (5g) holds 2 hardy frags - 1 gorgonian and 1 GSP I got locally. Most likely I will only go for soft corals for this tank as I'm still learning.

Looking forwards to the ugly phases and see how it develops - kind of liked this with my FW as well as I'm quite interested in seeing the ecosphere develop. Already got some Amphipods in a plastic container that I'm going to add soon once they have something more to eat in the MT.

-Edit (Accidentally pressed post before I was done! )
Welcome to R2R!!!

musel101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome enjoy your stay
IMG_7811.jpeg

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 19 14.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 21 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 77 56.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.6%
Back