Hi, New here from Texas

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had some pretty good results ordering on line. I have been surprised on how large some of the corals I have ordered online. Yes I have lost fish and inverts before. That is the gamble I take.

Curved R2R Welcome 3-31-23 2.0 White.png

Brazilian Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone! I'm Rob, new to R2R but not new to reefing. I've been off and on since 2007. I've recently gotten back into the hobby with a 32g Biocube I found off of FB Marketplace, for a great price. I didn't really document anything about the setup so I'm sorry for that, but in my next build I will try to do a whole build thread for it. Looking to upgrade soon to my main display for my living room, just trying to decide what size would be best for the space. I'm not a "coral collector" like I don't care for the super expensive got to have the wildest color corals. I like just having the cool classic corals, that are hardy and are fun to look at and possibly grow fast :p. This time around I'm wanting to dip my toe into the SPS way more. I've always kept, LPS, Easier SPS and softies no problem. I want a mostly SPS dominant tank this time around with some LPS for movement sporadically around the tank. So, I'm open for any advice with that as well.

I'm from Corpus Christi, TX, so we only have 2 SW fish stores here, if you don't count Petco lol. The closest next fish store is 2 hours away in San Antonio, so that could be like a once a month trip or 2 if we're lucky. So, that means either things are slow building or online orders are the way to go. I've never really ordered coral or fish online before, so I don't know how that would go or who to order from, so any advice there would be great.

Thank you!
-Rob
Welcome and Happy Reefing!

olefisheyefool

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone! I'm Rob, new to R2R but not new to reefing. I've been off and on since 2007. I've recently gotten back into the hobby with a 32g Biocube I found off of FB Marketplace, for a great price. I didn't really document anything about the setup so I'm sorry for that, but in my next build I will try to do a whole build thread for it. Looking to upgrade soon to my main display for my living room, just trying to decide what size would be best for the space. I'm not a "coral collector" like I don't care for the super expensive got to have the wildest color corals. I like just having the cool classic corals, that are hardy and are fun to look at and possibly grow fast :p. This time around I'm wanting to dip my toe into the SPS way more. I've always kept, LPS, Easier SPS and softies no problem. I want a mostly SPS dominant tank this time around with some LPS for movement sporadically around the tank. So, I'm open for any advice with that as well.

I'm from Corpus Christi, TX, so we only have 2 SW fish stores here, if you don't count Petco lol. The closest next fish store is 2 hours away in San Antonio, so that could be like a once a month trip or 2 if we're lucky. So, that means either things are slow building or online orders are the way to go. I've never really ordered coral or fish online before, so I don't know how that would go or who to order from, so any advice there would be great.

Thank you!
-Rob
Hi Rob! I'm Mike, I'm also new and reside in Texas as well, Welcome!

DIYreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
Welcome to r2r!

I grow a variety of corals and am in your area. However, out of respect for my family's privacy, I don't do local pick ups (my tanks are in my home) but I will gladly meet up with you somewhere here in town to drop off frags.

If youre interested, let me know what you are looking for and I I'll see what I can do.

Reef Devils

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thank you!
-Rob
Welcome to R2R!

DIYreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
Welcome to the club. Petco is good for some things. You can get salt, water, and sometimes fish and corals. Their hours are awesome as well. But get fish locally. I don’t trust UPS/Fedex with anything delicate. This is my $20 Petco Duncan.

Our local petco (local to OP) is actually pretty good. The fish are generally pretty healthy and in as good of shape as anything our two LFSs have to offer. I actually just bought 6 fish from petco yesterday.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 15.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 86 57.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.3%
Back