Hi from North Atlanta

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thank you so much everyone for the warm welcome! I will be sure to start a build thread as soon as I can decide what direction I'm heading. Yesterday, I requested a few additional quotes from Planet Aquarium for something a bit larger (150-180ish gallon display)

Here are the 3 sizes I'm now considering from Planet Aquarium:

• option 1 (in stock at LFS)
  • 60L x 24w x 21h
  • Crystaline high clarity glass
  • external overflow
  • Trigger system sump. I don't really know much about their sumps but the LFS folks were saying it was a bit nicer than the red sea sumps

• option 2 (need to order from Planet Aquarium)
  • 72L x 24w x 21h
  • same options as above but 1 foot longer

• Option 3 (I believe it's a custom size)
  • 60l x 30w x 24h
  • Internal center overflow (I'm thinking the wider width would need to be a bit closer to the back wall)

Thoughts on these? I really enjoy the wider (30+ inch depth) tanks, but I think option 2 might be the best choice for me. It fits nicely in the room, extra foot of length for larger fish, maybe easier to light than a 30 inch deep?

All great options! Like you said, the 30 is a great option but go with what works for that space.

BeejReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you so much everyone for the warm welcome! I will be sure to start a build thread as soon as I can decide what direction I'm heading. Yesterday, I requested a few additional quotes from Planet Aquarium for something a bit larger (150-180ish gallon display)

Here are the 3 sizes I'm now considering from Planet Aquarium:

• option 1 (in stock at LFS)
  • 60L x 24w x 21h
  • external overflow
  • Trigger system sump. I don't really know much about their sumps but the LFS folks were saying it was a bit nicer than the red sea sumps

• option 2 (need to order from Planet Aquarium)
  • 72L x 24w x 21h
  • same options as above but 1 foot longer

• Option 3 (I believe it's a custom size)
  • 60l x 30w x 24h
  • Internal center overflow (I'm thinking the wider width would need to be a bit closer to the back wall)

Thoughts on these? I really enjoy the wider (30+ inch depth) tanks, but I think option 2 might be the best choice for me. It fits nicely in the room, extra foot of length for larger fish, maybe easier to light than a 30 inch deep?

Hmmm.. sounds like fantastic options. Kind of down to what you want to keep. I've heard tangs will really enjoy/need that extra foot of length. I personally wish I would have opted for a tank with more front to back depth. I don't have the room in my sandbed that I'd like to really see the sand, or to place more than a couple chalice or brain-type corals.

Ofc, price is always a consideration ;)

DeepSouth

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Trigger system sump
One suggestion I would make is to look at how easy it will be to service socks/cups. Some of the sumps I have seen seem to require one to work around the skimmer. Not sure how easy/frustrating it would be depending on your reefing style.

Also you might want to decide if you want a utilize a roller before deciding on sump.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Welcome to the R2R Community!

Looking forward to having you participate here at Reef2Reef! :)

Set it and forget it: Do you change your aquascape as your corals grow?

• I regularly change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 15 9.6%
  • I occasionally change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 43 27.4%
  • I rarely change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 76 48.4%
  • I never change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 20 12.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back