Hi from North Atlanta

hobbyreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone! I've been reading the R2R forums endlessly for the last month and I thought it was finally time to create an account. In full transparency, I am also looking for a bit of advice.

I’ve been a reef lover for the past 15 years. I had a small nano-cube back in college (early 2000s) that I kept for ~4 years until I had a full tank crash and decided to take a break for the hobby. At the time, I was just starting my career and family life and I did not have the resources to start up a new tank.

Fast forward ~15 years later until early last year when my 1st grader asked for a ‘Nemo’ for his birthday. I literally pulled my car into the nearby Petco (ouch) and 30 minutes later came out with a 16 gallon LED Biocube, Fiji live rock, sand and a single Blue Chromis. I really didn’t want to put a fish in a new tank, but sometimes six year old’s have a way of getting their wish!

As soon as I got the Biocube setup, I realized that my time and budget were in big trouble. I started searching for LFS’s in the metro Atlanta area and found a couple of great options. Pure Reef in Alpharetta and the two Nemo shops around town have very friendly owners and clean/well-stocked collections. I found myself purchasing new corals 3-4 days each week. At the time, I was frequently visiting Orlando for work, and I stumbled across a small/unknown local shop called “World Wide Corals” and it was all over :) .

I quickly outgrew the Biocube and upgraded to a IM Nuvo 30L, but I should have gone A LOT bigger. I think the Nuvo 30L is an awesome nano tank but I’m looking for more.

I plan on moving the Nuvo 30L to my home office (maybe a QT tank or I might just keep it going) and starting a new tank build.

I tried to insert a couple of images of my existing setup to this thread, but since this is my first post it might come out completely wrong.

FTS in early May:

IMG_1617_old.jpeg

A few weeks ago, I made a huge mistake and completely gutted my live rock. This is what happens when you are home alone on a Sunday afternoon and start messing with things.
IMG_0463_new.jpeg

Here's a high level list current equipment:
  • IM Nuvo 30L sitting on a piece of Pottery Barn furniture my wife had in our living room (she HATES aquarium stands).
  • 3 AI primes set to BRS's suggested setting. I rented par meter and I'm getting between 250-350 par from top to bottom.
    • as a side note, I believe I have watched every BRSTV video numerous times over the last few months.
  • I just upgraded to 2 AI Nero 5 pumps that were on clearance from my LFS. Maybe overkill for this tank size but I've been happy so far.
  • I have a Tunze 9004 skimmer and a Tunze ATO.
  • I also have one of the cheap 4 head Jebao dosing pumps currently dosing DKH, CA and a bit of NOPOX (not sure why since I can never get a Nitrate or Phosphate reading). I manually dose Mg each week.
  • I have a small Neo-therm heater and I upgraded the return pump to a Sicce 2.0 a few months ago when the stock pumps started making a lot of noise.
  • I run marine pure balls in media bags in the back and I have filter floss and Chemi pure elite in a media rack.
I'm ready to start my next tank build but I'm having a very hard time deciding what direction to go. As you can see from the pictures, I have a few animals that need to transfer to a larger tank. My goal is to have something large enough to house a few reasonably sized surgeonfish and fill it up with 95% fuzzy sticks. I just don't want to "overdue" it and get into something that is not fun to maintain.

I would like to keep the build between $5k-$8k equipment only but I'm flexible in either direction. My favorite tanks are the lifted aquascapes packed with SPS and I also really like some of the minimalist SPS tanks. I realize a lot of these are "works of art" that I won't be able to recreate, but these tanks are my initial inspiration. I'm currently leaning towards a production tank (Red Sea Reefer, Innovative Marine, Planet Aquarium, etc.). I started going down the custom path and I became quickly overwhelmed. I also started seeing a lot of horror stories with poor build quality. Here are the 3 main tanks I'm considering:

• My LFS has a Planet Aquarium Crystaline
    • 60L x 24W x 21H
    • tank includes sump, stand, external overflow and most plumbing.
    • I love this tank, but wish it was a bit bigger (more like 150 to 180 gallons)
  • My heart was initially sold on the Innovative Marine INT 150. I loved the 36 inch width but I wish it was 60 or 72 inches. I'm also not crazy about the stand. We don't have anything black in the room.
  • I also like the "ease" of the Red Sea Reefer 625xxl or 750xxl. Again, the aesthetics of the stand does not really match our home. I've also read some recent post concerning the quality of Red Sea's bigger tanks, but in general, my gut tells me these are very well built and I would be totally ok.
The 3 tanks above are generally around the same cost (big picture). My wife doesn't like the stand on any of these, but she prefers the Planet Aquarium the best. I think if she saw the price of some of the custom builds she might change her mind on the above...

What do you guys think from this list? Am I looking in the right direction? Do you guys thinks this size is a logical step from my current 30L? I know bigger is better, but we will probably move in about 4-5 years and I don't want to setup something that will be too cumbersome to deal with at that time.

Thanks everyone. Sorry for the long initial post. I appreciate everyone's dedication to this site. It hass been very helpful as a new reefer.

COreef8

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It sounds like you’ve gone through a fairly typical progression but you started off pretty well with an LED Biocube instead of trying to DIY a 10 gallon all glass tank!

I completely get the desire for a large tank and surprisingly, it makes a lot of things easier. A significant amount of the initial setup costs come from miscellaneous things you wouldn’t initially think were major expenses so already having a tank set up might bring the cost down a bit.

I have a Reefer 525 and I’m really happy with the setup. They’re well built and I’m sure you’d be happy with the 625 or 750. I’d also check out waterbox. They’ve got some larger options that I think are a bit cheaper than Red Sea plus some features the reefers don’t have. Shooting for an SPS tank will likely bring the cost up a bit for higher quality lights, pumps, and filtration but I think $5-8k is do-able if you’re ok waiting in some of the pricey non essential gear.

Looking forward to seeing the build thread!

DMG Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R. I think the majority of us had the same experience as you. Start with something manageable, learn by doing, then go bigger and better.

You won't be disappointed in a Red Sea tank. I ran a used Oceanic 75 gallon for 5 years before upgrading to a RSR XL 425. I also looked at Planet Aquariums before deciding on Red Sea. Either choice is good. I have no experience with the IM line.

You've come to the right place to get excellent advice and guidance! Glad you're here. :)

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 20 54.1%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 10 27.0%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 6 16.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.7%
Back